Who Gets Next Save Opportunity?

Rene88

I've been defending Buck/Tommy up until now. I am ready for a change. I am still pissed off in the moment, so I reserve the right to feel differently tomorrow, but right now I cannot trust Tommy with a one run lead.

I am with the people on the board advocating the "no closer role" position. By that logic, you can't say who will get the call. I want O'Day against Cabrera, Hunter, and Kinsler, whether they bat in the 8th or 9th. If we have used O'Day, I would go with Webb against righties, Zach against lefties.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use a combo of O'Day/Webb or Britton/Matusz. O'Day and Britton should be the first two choices. But I would feel comfortable with any of those pitchers with the right matchups. Let Hunter pitch in the situations he did last year until he turns it around.

Guilmet, the only pitcher with extensive closing experience (94 games in the minors), just got sent back to Norfolk to make room for Gausman. Gausman better pitch a 9 inning shutout tomorrow and throw less than 80 pitches or we are doomed.

But here's my take on Hunter. He is not suited for a closer. Not everyone can make that adjustment. He was, however, an excellent set-up man. Put him back in a position where he can do well and help the team.

Hunter has pitched in 17 games, with 11 saves. But he has 4 blown saves, including a game where he got the win after the Orioles came back in the 10th. In 15 innings he has allowed 24 base runners. I would made a wager that there are six other relievers in the BP who, had they been brought in to close, would have delivered 1-2-3 innings in at least half those games......and maybe not blown the saves.

Archived