Will Manny hit enough to stick at 3B

webbrick2010

He won't have to move, but I think it is in the teams best interest to move him to short. The orioles get a lot of their power from non traditional power positions like SS and catcher right now. When Hardy and Winters are gone it will behoove the Orioles to get more power out of RF and 3B in the future.
How are you replacing Manny's 5-6 W at 3B? Remember you also have to replace RF, LF, and DH next year, and C and 1B the following year. You really think you be able to make up the difference upgrading elsewhere?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manny is 21 years old and never played AAA. Pitchers are exploiting his weaknesses a bit. I expect him to learn on the job and become an .800ish hitter within two years, but there be some growing pains along the way.
Exactly. People expect Schoop to learn on the job, why can't Manny, the younger better player, do so as well?

Exactly. People expect Schoop to learn on the job, why can't Manny, the younger better player, do so as well?

I think his hot start last year set expectations very high. Pitchers have adjusted to Manny and he needs to adjust back.

He's only had 51 ABs so far coming off a major injury, and he's hit several balls (including a couple in his first game back, IIRC) that could have been hits but for good defense. Given that the difference between his current .176 BA and a .274 BA is just five hits, I'm not even remotely concerned that his bat won't play at 3B.

How are you replacing Manny's 5-6 W at 3B? Remember you also have to replace RF, LF, and DH next year, and C and 1B the following year. You really think you be able to make up the difference upgrading elsewhere?

My assumption is that we need to replace Hardy (hopefully we trade him for something). So Manny moves to SS which should maximize his potential.

I think Schoop can handle 3B and will eventually hit for more power than Manny (this is a very optimistic).

Then find a base stealing high OBP guy to play 2B (Brian Roberts 2.0).

In the offseason we could have traded Hardy and Wieters to fill some of these holes but we elected to hold them... and now their value is plummenting. Tough break, but we'll be okay as long as we don't extend them.

If you believe DD he is not going to negotiate with Hardy, Markakis, or Cruz during the season. When they hit free agency they will all get multi year offers. Depending on market value the O's may not pay any of them what they can earn on the open market.

So I think the O's have to at least consider moving Manny to SS next year. An Schoop to third. With Flaherty or Lomdardozzi at 2B. That just seem to be the way DD is playing the hand that he has.

If you believe DD he is not going to negotiate with Hardy, Markakis, or Cruz during the season. When they hit free agency they will all get multi year offers. Depending on market value the O's may not pay any of them what they can earn on the open market.

So I think the O's have to at least consider moving Manny to SS next year. An Schoop to third. With Flaherty or Lomdardozzi at 2B. That just seem to be the way DD is playing the hand that he has.

I believe DD will negotiate during the season, but privately and quietly and not out in the public.

Manny is 21 years old and never played AAA. Pitchers are exploiting his weaknesses a bit. I expect him to learn on the job and become an .800ish hitter within two years, but there be some growing pains along the way.

This is the problem with Manny doing so well when he was first called up. We all got use to him being great. There are plenty of examples of rookies who have come up and done well then struggled to become great ballplayers. Unfortunately there are more examples of them turning to duds. We will just have to be patient and see what the future brings. Manny struggling (and Wieters being on the DL) puts more pressure on Davis to perform which he just isnt. All we can do is hope for the best even though the outcome could be painful and not what we all wanted.

I think you're overreacting quite a bit.

In August last year he had a 321/353/468 slash line for a 821 OPS. In September he fell off (194/225/306 - 502).

This year he's rusty. He's certainly behind the curve and is making necessary adjustments across the board. Judging him in only 56 plate appearances (13 games) this year is premature.

Thread winner!

My assumption is that we need to replace Hardy (hopefully we trade him for something). So Manny moves to SS which should maximize his potential.

I think Schoop can handle 3B and will eventually hit for more power than Manny (this is a very optimistic).

Then find a base stealing high OBP guy to play 2B (Brian Roberts 2.0).

In the offseason we could have traded Hardy and Wieters to fill some of these holes but we elected to hold them... and now their value is plummenting. Tough break, but we'll be okay as long as we don't extend them.

Moving to SS will not make Manny a better hitter in terms of RC, it will very likely make him a less valuable fielder in terms of RS. His maximum value is as a 3B. Schoop, if we are lucky, will be a JJ Hardy like hitter, but at 3B we will be lucky if he is average on defense.

Things to be encouraged by batting wise for Manny this year: 192 BABIP, his career BABIP is 309 (FanGraphs). 2013 it was 322. 2012 it was 293. We're obviously talking about SSS this year but....

His 16.3% LD% is right around his 19% career line. Basically his groundballs are up and his flyballs are down. I think those will normalize a bit. He's hit quite a few balls this year right on the nose with nothing to show for it.

A couple clear doubles were ran down as well as some rockets that were caught by 2B. If 4 of those turn into hits he's batting 255 instead of 176 and I don't think anyone is speaking ill of Machado.

Moving to SS will not make Manny a better hitter in terms of RC, it will very likely make him a less valuable fielder in therms of RS. His maximum value is as a 3B. Schoop, if we are lucky, will be a JJ Hardy like hitter, but at 3B we will be lucky if he is average on defense.

So are you saying SS is a less valuable position than 3B?? I thought Manny was supposed to be a potential GG SS?

What are the average # of PO's + Assists for a 3B vs. a SS??

I don't know I'd be shocked if a great fielding SS is less valuable than a great fielding 3B

Are you saying that Manny can't play a GG level SS?

Archived