Will Manny hit enough to stick at 3B

webbrick2010

JJ Hardy had 645 chances at SS last year.

Manny had 484 chances at 3B last year.

Maybe my logic is too simple, but you move him to SS he becomes more valuable, assuming he is very good... and also that Hardy is no longer available.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How are you replacing Manny's 5-6 W at 3B? Remember you also have to replace RF, LF, and DH next year, and C and 1B the following year. You really think you be able to make up the difference upgrading elsewhere?

Well, let's start with the fact that you have to replace SS this off season. Moving Manny to SS gives the team the option to get a more traditional power hitter at 3B, that's all I am saying. Provided the same value, wouldn't you rather have Manny's 5-6 wins at shortstop.

Though looking at FA options I see there are more decent SS options than 3B options.

Well, let's start with the fact that you have to replace SS this off season. Moving Manny to SS gives the team the option to get a more traditional power hitter at 3B, that's all I am saying. Provided the same value, wouldn't you rather have Manny's 5-6 wins at shortstop.

Though looking at FA options I see there are more decent SS options than 3B options.

You are not going to get Manny's 5-6 WAR at SS. He won't be as good defensively at SS as he is at 3B. And it is not certain if we will have to replace the SS next year. But if we do there, isn't one as valuable as Hardy and as cheap, in FA.

You are not going to get Manny's 5-6 WAR at SS. He won't be as good defensively at SS as he is at 3B. And it is not certain if we will have to replace the SS next year. But if we do there, isn't one as valuable as Hardy and as cheap, in FA.

You keep saying that and there is no way you know it to be true.

He could be right up there with Simmons.

Ok so you move him to SS and he continues to hit exactly the same. Please enlighten me on how that improves the team? In fact, all you did was make the defense worse by removing hardy.

Machado might very well be better at short then Hardy.

You should also be able to find someone at third that will have a better bat then Hardy, or at the very least, who won't cost near as much.

Ok so you move him to SS and he continues to hit exactly the same. Please enlighten me on how that improves the team? In fact, all you did was make the defense worse by removing hardy.

I think we are talking about when Hardy is gone, which I think he will be. Are their still people who want to pay Hardy 10 million/yr for the next 3-4 years to watch him hit .250, with an OBP of .275 while watching him battle injuries, hit with dwindling power and field with ever diminished range. Hardy is 32, now way we want to extend him

So my whole premise was

1. Hardy is gone

2. Manny doesn't really have the type of bat you want/need at 3B (even last year he was like 6th in AL in OPS among 3B).

ergo move him to SS and look to find a 3B who can OPS .875 and not completely screw up on defense.

Milwaukee has the best record in baseball and are using Mark Reynolds at 3B.

I think we are talking about when Hardy is gone, which I think he will be. Are their still people who want to pay Hardy 10 million/yr for the next 3-4 years to watch him hit .250, with an OBP of .275 while watching him battle injuries, hit with dwindling power and field with ever diminished range. Hardy is 32, now way we want to extend him

So my whole premise was

1. Hardy is gone

2. Manny doesn't really have the type of bat you want/need at 3B (even last year he was like 6th in AL in OPS among 3B).

ergo move him to SS and look to find a 3B who can OPS .875 and not completely screw up on defense.

Third base was STACKED in the AL last year. When Longoria doesn't make the all star team...

You keep saying that and there is no way you know it to be true.

He could be right up there with Simmons.

SS is a more difficult position than 3B. It requires more range better positioning, and more game generalship. Manny will be a good SS but not a platinum glove SS, maybe not even a GG SS. Manny is no Simmons.

How do Zobrist, Lowrie, and Cabrera play short? Those are the guys the O's should be interested in this offseason. All would help improve team OBP and should cost around what Hardy would. I like Hardy, but I think there's better options in free agency. Since there are those options I think it makes sense to keep Manny at 3rd, especially if the knee has affected his quickness.

How do Zobrist, Lowrie, and Cabrera play short? Those are the guys the O's should be interested in this offseason. All would help improve team OBP and should cost around what Hardy would. I like Hardy, but I think there's better options in free agency. Since there are those options I think it makes sense to keep Manny at 3rd, especially if the knee has affected his quickness.
Check out the defensive metrics on Zobrist, Cabrera, and Lowrie. You'll find that Zobrist, Lowrie,and Cabrera are average at best. Hardy has been around +10 RS or better the last 3 years. Hardy has been worth more in total runs than all three the last 3 years at SS. How old are they again? Cabrera 29, Zobrist 34, Lowrie 31, Hardy 32.

So my whole premise was

1. Hardy is gone

You speak as though hardy had a poor bat... Look at SS's around the league... More HR than any SS since he's been an oriole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You speak as though hardy had a poor bat... Look at SS's around the league... More HR than any SS since he's been an oriole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I won't argue that Hardy didn't have a good bat. I will argue going forward (check out his stats this year) that he is not going to be an above average offensive player going forward.

Archived