Will Manny hit enough to stick at 3B

webbrick2010

In last 86 games hitting .230 with .625 OPS

For me that isn't a 3B

Need to trade Hardy before all his value is gone and move Manny to SS

Yeah... I know he had a great first half, but obviously the league adjusted and has not shown any ability to adjust back

Nearly 400 AB's is a long time to hit .230 with little or no power.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Takes about 1500 PA to get an idea about someone as a hitter. Since Manny has had less than 1000 so far I don't think I'll pass judgment. Also since the last 56 PA are this season's coming off an injury rehab, I think I'll give him a few more PA before I limit him to late inning defense. As a SS I doubt he would be an improvement over Hardy with the glove. Maybe with the bat.

I think you're overreacting quite a bit.

In August last year he had a 321/353/468 slash line for a 821 OPS. In September he fell off (194/225/306 - 502).

This year he's rusty. He's certainly behind the curve and is making necessary adjustments across the board. Judging him in only 56 plate appearances (13 games) this year is premature.

Out of curiosity who is your replacement to play 3B after you move Manny to short?
Good question no one wants to think about. How many potential 6 W 3B are out there. Don't think Schoop is one. Maybe HanRam next year. He'll only cost 20M per.

I think folks will have to be a bit patient with Manny. Although having him in extended ST, they certainly rushed him through the rehab process. Indeed, if he doesn't get on track, the O's might be stuck with a defensive shortstop with occasional spurts of offense.

I am more concerned about Davis at 1B. He seems lost and not able to even try to go to left when given the opportunity. With Pearse at 1st, the O's had a pretty good run (small sample). Have they won since he got off the DL? Wieters and Davis are two great examples of the dangers of long term over the top contracts.

Good question no one wants to think about. How many potential 6 W 3B are out there. Don't think Schoop is one. Maybe HanRam next year. He'll only cost 20M per.

Of course if webbrick is right then Manny won't be a 6 win 3B going forward.

Given his extreme youth there is no reason, at this time, to think his bat won't improve. At 21 Brooks put up a .597 OPS.

I think folks will have to be a bit patient with Manny. Although having him in extended ST, they certainly rushed him through the rehab process. Indeed, if he doesn't get on track, the O's might be stuck with a defensive shortstop with occasional spurts of offense.

I am more concerned about Davis at 1B. He seems lost and not able to even try to go to left when given the opportunity. With Pearse at 1st, the O's had a pretty good run (small sample). Have they won since he got off the DL? Wieters and Davis are two great examples of the dangers of long term over the top contracts.

I'm a little less concerned with Davis because he takes BB and is maintaining a good OBP. Manny has Oriole disease and has an OBP totally driven by batting average.

I think he should have played 3 weeks minimum in the minors before coming back... and for heavens sake Buck take off some of the pressure and get him out of the #2 hole.

He won't have to move, but I think it is in the teams best interest to move him to short. The orioles get a lot of their power from non traditional power positions like SS and catcher right now. When Hardy and Winters are gone it will behoove the Orioles to get more power out of RF and 3B in the future.

While it all gets figured out, move him down the batting order?
Why bother. The batting order if it ever makes a difference only really does so in the first inning. If you don't want him getting as many PA, moving him down only matters over the course of a full season. I'd rather have Cruz, or Jones, hitting more towards the middle of the order. Who would you hit #2 in place of Manny, Hardy, Schoop?.

I think you're overreacting quite a bit.

In August last year he had a 321/353/468 slash line for a 821 OPS. In September he fell off (194/225/306 - 502).

This year he's rusty. He's certainly behind the curve and is making necessary adjustments across the board. Judging him in only 56 plate appearances (13 games) this year is premature.

Thanks for the reminder!

Manny is 21 years old and never played AAA. Pitchers are exploiting his weaknesses a bit. I expect him to learn on the job and become an .800ish hitter within two years, but there be some growing pains along the way.

Archived