Will Manny hit enough to stick at 3B

webbrick2010

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we keep MM at 3rd we should try to sign Lowrie, not resign Hardy... Just my opinion.
What are you basing it on/ Lowrie is one year younger. is that a big deal? He is a below average fielding SS. That doesn't concern you Isn't defense something we have been building around. He has had 1 season at 3+WAR Hardy had had 4. He's a bit better with the bat but not much. So is Derek Jeter, would you prefer him at SS.

If articles like this, http://www.hardballtimes.com/how-speed-affects-isolated-power/, are to be believed a player's homerun .ISO (isolated power) really starts to drop off a cliff after age 30. (Hardy is 31 now)

Considering the only thing Hardy is good for on the offensive end is homeruns you gotta start to wonder how valuable will he be going forward? (his 0 HRs thus far aren't exactly inspiring confidence)

If Hardy were to become a .250/.290/.370 plus defender at shortstop over the course of his next contract would you be okay with that and how much would you pay?

If articles like this, http://www.hardballtimes.com/how-speed-affects-isolated-power/, are to be believed a player's homerun .ISO (isolated power) really starts to drop off a cliff after age 30. (Hardy is 31 now)

Considering the only thing Hardy is good for on the offensive end is homeruns you gotta start to wonder how valuable will he be going forward? (his 0 HRs thus far aren't exactly inspiring confidence)

If Hardy were to become a .250/.290/.370 plus defender at shortstop over the course of his next contract would you be okay with that and how much would you pay?

If the Orioles decided to resign Hardy I would go no more than a 2 or 3 year deal.

Honestly I really feel that moving Manny to SS is the best idea. Manny I am positive would be a far above average offensive SS and I have no reason to believe his defense prowess at 3B would not translate pretty well to SS.

I would rather see Manny at SS were his value to the team is maximized and then acquire a 3B via trade or FA who can put up numbers and field at a reasonably good level to bridge the gap till we can develop one of our own.

JJ is 31 and has a few good years left IMO. I would be ok with resigning him. That I know a lot of people wont like hearing this but I believe the best is still yet to come from this team. Bundy, Gausman, Rodriguez, Harvey and few other arms give me hope that the best is yet to come. Investing more than 2-3 years into a 31 y.o SS is not a wise idea for a cost conscious team that has a premier SS prospect already on it. You can get better value in MOST cases buying a 3B than SS IMO.

Hardy hit 238 .282 .389.in 2012. and was still worth 2.6 WAR because of his glove. I think he can do at least that well going forward the next few years. That production would be worth 15 M in todays WAR. He is currently having his best season with the glove so far. As far as that ISO stuff goes, I am pretty sure you can find plenty of guys who hit for power well into there mid to late 30's.

I don't care where Manny is played so long as the 3B or SS standing next to him is a really good player. Positional scarcity is where it's at for me, and teams covet all-star 3B just as much as all-star SS. I still support the JJ Hardy re-sign, for now anyway. Who are they going to get at 3B? Chase Headley, three years too late? Ryan Zimmerman?

I don't care where Manny is played so long as the 3B or SS standing next to him is a really good player. Positional scarcity is where it's at for me, and teams covet all-star 3B just as much as all-star SS. I still support the JJ Hardy re-sign, for now anyway. Who are they going to get at 3B? Chase Headley, three years too late? Ryan Zimmerman?
The only FA who would come close to Manny's production at 3B would be Ramirez and he want 130M+ and he still wants to play SS. Otherwise no matter who you get you take a big hit.

The only FA who would come close to Manny's production at 3B would be Ramirez and he want 130M+ and he still wants to play SS. Otherwise no matter who you get you take a big hit.

I hear what your saying. If JJ can approximate his offensive production of the past few years then that works.

If however his numbers are down that IMO changes the equation significantly. I would rather be looking for a 3B who can play decent defense and put JJ Hardy's offensive numbers than be paying a 31 y.o SS with potentially declining numbers significant money for more than say 3 years.

Archived