Last-minute attempt by O's to sign ace holding up trade

birdsfan4ever

Seriously. I'm not trying to insult anyone on here- but this is getting ridiculous.

Last seson if at any point, the O's signed Bedard to an extension we would have been jumping for joy. Now that suddenly talks have started about a possible big trade- everyone wants the joy of making a splash in the off-season- as if that gaurantees future success.

You know the quickest way to be comptetitive again? STARTING PITCHING!

If we keep bedard- and Loewen stays healthy and matures further- as well as Cabrera and Guthrie... we have one of the top rotations in baseball IMO. Bring in some new blood and new leadership with Tejada's departure- and we may surprise ourselves.

I feel like I'm stomping a dead horse here- but this is getting downright ridiculous. And for all of you complaining about $100 million- have you seen Barry Zito's contract??? I'd say if we got that for 6 or 7 years- it'd be a steal! Add Tex next year if possible- and you just never know.

The Lakers were supposed to be mediocre again this year- but Andrew Bynum blew up- the same holds true in ANY sport...

Some of you get act as though you were promised a Nintendo Wii for Christmas- and then when you got Playstation 3 instead- you whined and whined cuz you alreday planned on what games you were going to get for the Wii....

Get over it- Bedard IS THE BEST GAME OUT!

Not a bad post, except for denigrating girls by comparing them to OH posters.:002_sbiggrin:

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously. I'm not trying to insult anyone on here- but this is getting ridiculous.

Last seson if at any point, the O's signed Bedard to an extension we would have been jumping for joy. Now that suddenly talks have started about a possible big trade- everyone wants the joy of making a splash in the off-season- as if that gaurantees future success.

If we keep bedard- and Loewen stays healthy and matures further- as well as Cabrera and Guthrie... we have one of the top rotations in baseball IMO. Bring in some new blood and new leadership with Tejada's departure- and we may surprise ourselves.

I feel like I'm stomping a dead horse here- but this is getting downright ridiculous. And for all of you complaining about $100 million- have you seen Barry Zito's contract??? I'd say if we got that for 6 or 7 years- it'd be a steal! Add Tex next year if possible- and you just never know.

The Lakers were supposed to be mediocre again this year- but Andrew Bynum blew up- the same holds true in ANY sport...

Some of you get act as though you were promised a Nintendo Wii for Christmas- and then when you got Playstation 3 instead- you whined and whined cuz you alreday planned on what games you were going to get for the Wii....

If this, if that. Trading for prospects is a risk, so is signing a pitcher with durability questions and only one elite season (or technically 5/6 of one) under his belt to a long term, big money contract. There's no reason to attack those who take a different view on the dilemna than you do and there's certainly no reason to bash the entire female gender over the issue when, as far as I can tell, only one of us is even participating in this particular discussion.

The Zito signing was horrible, but if he won 25 games last year it would be a steal. I am a fan of Bedard, but we have too many holes to sign him. If Bedard doesn't go, neither will Roberts. The move will increase our payroll by $7-$10 Million per year, all the while giving us the same team we had last year. Doesn't seem prudent.

The problem is we need a whole lot more than just Bedard and Roberts stays if Bedard stays, so that means our two best trading chips stay put. We don't have enough other chips to cash in to get any talent on the level of a Jones or Pie. And we are way too late into the game for FA.

Thus we will be in limbo trying patch holes with FA just like we've been doing for the past 10 years. It doesn't work. Meanwhile it will be great to see Bedard pitch but he'll just get more expensive as he ages, and he'll be pitching for a 4th place or maybe 5th place team throughout the length of the contract.

I agree with you on this whole post. All I can say is while I see both sides & hope AM knows what he's doing. I am tired of the losing. All of any of us can hope is that AM is in charge (lately I have my doubts) & he makes the best decisions for the club!

The Bluejays had great starting pitching last season and were competitive last season in the AL East with an 83-79 record. But one has to ponder if offense was the deciding factor between Boston and Toronto last season. It appears to these eyes that balance carried the day in 2007.

Assuming Bedard is extended will starting pitching be able provide a foundation for Oriole teams to be competitive in the near future? Beyond Bedard it seems that there are a number of questions regarding the Orioles starting pitching. It would seem that the performances of Cabrera, Loewen, and Guthrie are the fulcrum of success and failure. Any chance that Kranitz is able to get Loewen and Cabrera's walks under control? And who emerges from the minors to round out the starting staff? Penn? Patton? Liz? Albers?

I am curious as to everyone's thoughts.

Okay everyone, it's time for final predictions. If the Bedard deal goes down within the next day or two, what package do you feel we'll get in return.

I think it'll be Jones, Morrow, Sherrill, and Tillman/Butler.

That sounds about right, though I think it will be Tillman instead of Butler.

Okay everyone, it's time for final predictions. If the Bedard deal goes down within the next day or two, what package do you feel we'll get in return.

I think it'll be Jones, Morrow, Sherrill, and Tillman/Butler.

Seattle should not increase their offer, but they will, but only slightly. I am going to guess.

Jones, Tillman, Sherrill, Butler, and Tuisosopo

Also a good guess. I would be happy with that deal.

That would make sense but if they wanted to seriously upgrade the deal and not give up anything that would effect their win now strategy keeping Sherrill and giving up Clement would make sense. Jones, Clement, Tillman, Butler, Chen.

That would make sense but if they wanted to seriously upgrade the deal and not give up anything that would effect their win now strategy keeping Sherrill and giving up Clement would make sense. Jones, Clement, Tillman, Butler, Chen.

I would agree. I couldn't deal Clement to keep just Sherrill though. If the Orioles would take Jones, Clement, and Butler, I think Seattle would make the deal. Would you trade Weiters, Liz, Arrieta, and Walker for a Bedard type?

I would agree. I couldn't deal Clement to keep just Sherrill though. If the Orioles would take Jones, Clement, and Butler, I think Seattle would make the deal. Would you trade Weiters, Liz, Arrieta, and Walker for a Bedard type?
Wieters > Clement. Clement doesn't help Seattle next year. I'd have to have Tillman as well.

Archived