Say It Aint So But it Looked to me Like Markakis was loafing on both that triple and double!

Old#5fan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, but we call them hipsters :cool:

I always thought a hipster was someone who thought themselves cool and modern but everyone else didn't think of them that way. As in Elaine describing Kramer on Seinfeld as a "hipster doofus."...... Hippies on the other hand were never cool, just dirty, stupid, worthless, lazy drug using bums.

I actually do think that Nick has been moving better this year than last year in the outfield and on base though he will never be more than an average runner at best. He did look especially slow last night and that probably isn't a mirage. When athletes are tired, they slow down and I think it affects guys who have to concentrate more to stride cleanly. Nick is kind of a gangly runner despite being a pretty good athlete. So am I on both counts. When I'm fatigued, I seriously slow down. As I've aged, it has gotten more pronounced. I think his legs were heavy last night because he did look like he was running on the beach on those plays. You know what though? I don't really care. Nick plays his ass off and gives everything he has all the time. He cares about the right stuff and could give a crap about the wrong stuff like looking cool. He could play for me any damn day. If he is gone next year, I will miss the hell out of him.

I think Buck feels the exact same way. But I think he does Nick a disservice by never insisting that he take a day off. Buck has made it clear that Nick will never, ever ask for a day off no matter what. It's admirable, but a manager should insist sometimes. I think 1-2 days of rest a month would do Nick some good. At least Buck is using Nck (and Adam) at DH once in a while, but I think a full day of rest here and there would be better.

I always thought a hipster was someone who thought themselves cool and modern but everyone else didn't think of them that way. As in Elaine describing Kramer on Seinfeld as a "hipster doofus."...... Hippies on the other hand were never cool, just dirty, stupid, worthless, lazy drug using bums.

Whoa! Just to clarify, you did not include our "olehippie" in that broad umbrella, right? ;) (cough bannable offense cough)

btw - I knew some hippies, and you sir just did a gross disservice to the many non-working, peace-loving, social activists of the sixties. Stupid? I think not. Worthless? - unh unh! I'll give you dirty and lazy but .....

Where would we all be without the "Age of Aquarius"?

James Rado was a graduate of the University of Maryland, thank you very much!

Going into tonight, Nick was at 0.0 dWAR, -1 Rtot, 4.2 UZR, -0.8 Def. Basically, average. According to Inside Edge, he has caught 100% of the balls rated "routine" or "likely," 50% of balls rated "even" or "unlikely," 14% of balls rated "remote" and 0% of plays rated impossible. He may look plodding out there, but there's not a lot of evidence that he's failing to get to a lot of balls than another RF would reach.

That doesn't matter to OldFan. His mind is made up. Set in concrete. You won't be

able to change his mind. Oh well that's his opinion. I disagree with him.

Whoa! Just to clarify, you did not include our "olehippie" in that broad umbrella, right? ;)

btw - I knew some hippies and you sir just did a gross disservice to the many non-working, peace-loving, social activists of the sixties. Stupid? I think not. Worthless? - unh unh! I'll give you dirty and lazy but .....

Where would we all be without the "Age of Aquarius"?

James Rado was a student at the University of Maryland, thank you very much!

5aa8dfd0f4062e2c9c1d78fef3d40bf6.jpg

The definition of hipster has changed.

I agree with this completely. I would like to add that on occasion Nick can look lazy because he is actually making the smart play. Nick almost never over runs a ball off the wall or into the corner. You just don't ever see him chasing the ball along the wall the often, he will wait for the ball to come to where he goes. Sometimes when doing that he looks like he is not going all out.

BTW on the Triple he did nothing wrong the ball was a true gapper to the wall, hit by a guy with blazing speed. Really nothing that a OFer could do except possibly play it into a inside the park HR. Yes AJ looked much faster than Nick but guess what AJ is actually going to look very fast compared to almost all RFers.

5aa8dfd0f4062e2c9c1d78fef3d40bf6.jpg

I will give you my Merle Haggard-like view of hippies. I knew some also, and I would have loved to have seen them all rounded up, shipped to basic training and then directly over to Viet Nam where they could have taken the place of clean cut, honorable American boys who were getting killed while they laid around have sex, smoking dope and protesting the war. But then again, that is just my opinion and doesnt make me right.....

I will give you my Merle Haggard-like view of hippies. I knew some also, and I would have loved to have seen them all rounded up, shipped to basic training and then directly over to Viet Nam where they could have taken the place of clean cut, honorable American boys who were getting killed while they laid around have sex, smoking dope and protesting the war. But then again, that is just my opinion and doesnt make me right.....

Do you really think the Orioles Hangout is the right forum for this? I motion for this thread to be locked shut; I do not see any way in which it can be redeemed.

Archived