Really tired of Matusz...

Ed-die... Ed-die

And it's fine to disagree. I just don't appreciate being labeled a whiner or crybaby (not saying you said this) for believing that Matusz isn't one of our top 12 pitchers.

However, since he makes it through August, he may have a shot at the playoff roster because you really don't need as much depth in your pen as you do in the regular season. I'm not sure if I'd have him or not. Probably not.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 IP, 10 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 18 K's. That isn't exactly DFA material.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but Matusz's "results" and how well he's pitched are not necessarily one in the same. Matusz has regularly played with fire, either by putting baserunners on, or simply getting lucky swings/misses on absolutely lousy "stuff."

He's the one pitcher I absolutely hate seeing out of the bullpen, regardless of the situation, and I wish he wasn't on the team.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but Matusz's "results" and how well he's pitched are not necessarily one in the same. Matusz has regularly played with fire, either by putting baserunners on, or simply getting lucky swings/misses on absolutely lousy "stuff."

He's the one pitcher I absolutely hate seeing out of the bullpen, regardless of the situation, and I wish he wasn't on the team.

My sentiments exactly. He's had numerous appearances in which he hasn't given up a run, but he's created a mess for whoever followed him. Last night he wasn't so fortunate. I'd rather see Joe Saunders, Webb, or Gonzalez in his spot.

I was mad last night too, but there is no reason to call someone worthless. Do you feel better?

Actually, do. That was a slightly exaggerated response-I just did not want him out there in that situation to begin with.

Because he has value as lefty in the pen. Because before last night he had given up 1 ER in his previous 15 appearances. Because he has a 62 OPS+ against lefties this year.

Extra innings on the road, at the start of a series, means you have to gamble with some splits - Matusz should not really have been pitching in that role right there against a righty, but it happened.

The worst possible thing happened. The Orioles lost.

They are still in first by a mile and only need 21 wins to hit 90. The Orioles only need to play .500 ball from this point forward.

Which means they will lose 21 games - some in heartbreaking fashion. But if all 21 of their losses come in extra inning walkoffs it won't matter.

Because he has value as lefty in the pen. Because before last night he had given up 1 ER in his previous 15 appearances. Because he has a 62 OPS+ against lefties this year.

Extra innings on the road, at the start of a series, means you have to gamble with some splits - Matusz should not really have been pitching in that role right there against a righty, but it happened.

The worst possible thing happened. The Orioles lost.

They are still in first by a mile and only need 21 wins to hit 90. The Orioles only need to play .500 ball from this point forward.

Which means they will lose 21 games - some in heartbreaking fashion. But if all 21 of their losses come in extra inning walkoffs it won't matter.

6 years though? I'm just not seeing it really. He's been here for 6 years and we've never utilized his abilities properly which is a LOOGY. He's the 25th man.

Why has Brian Matusz been here since 2009? To my knowledge he's the longest tenured pitcher on the Orioles?

And is what the 3rd longest tenured player on the Orioles roster?

He's still here I don't understand.

This is why you continue with the red rep block. You ignore it when he's good and overreact when he gives up a run.

This is why you continue with the red rep block. You ignore it when he's good and overreact when he gives up a run.

You don't remember when he had the worst season of the decade? Brian Matusz has 9 lives. He's used about 8 of them. He's got the longest leash I've ever seen.

Gonzo can't stay here, but Mastuz can. What a joke.

You don't remember when he had the worst season of the decade? Brian Matusz has 9 lives. He's used about 8 of them. He's got the longest leash I've ever seen.

Gonzo can't stay here, but Mastuz can. What a joke.

Gonzo is a RH SP and Matusz is a LH RP. Totally different roles. Players have bad seasons and again 1 run in 15 before last night.

Lighten up!

Archived