Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

Th?ts fine man. I do too. But there are two separate questions. Should he be moved to the bullpen for one reason or another? And, let's just say he was moved to th pen, do you think he'd be good?. The second one is where I come in. I thought it's was a no brainer that he would be good. You made a sarcastic remark to another poster who was suggesting he could pitch in the pen. Then c.o.c. Felt the need to point out that not all failed starters are good relievers. So I'm just saying, I'd bet that Chen would thrive in the pen if he was put there for whatever reason. So pointing out to me that he's a good starter, or that his value would decrease is not needed because I agree with that. But that's not what I'm saying.
I apologize for being sarcastic if I was. I am still burned about our lefty relievers. Please forgive. I do not think Chen would be any better in the pen than T.J. McFarland. that is where I stand. I really want a situation where we can use Britton better.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not willing to experiment with putting the rotation's one lefty in the pen when he hasn't pitched there regularly since 2009. I would much rather acquire an upgrade for the pen then get whatever you can for Matusz.

Why is it significant that Chen is the rotation's "one lefty"? ERA+ of 105, 100, and 93 (so far this year) since he's been with the O's. FIPs of 4.44, 4.04, and 4.42. Averages 5.73 innings per start. And when Jimenez comes back, you'll have Jimenez, Tillman, Norris, Gonzo, Gausman, and Chen all vying for starts.

We both know that Jimenez isn't getting bumped from the rotation, so which is better: keeping 2-3 starters at the back end of the rotation on irregular schedules while searching for an external Matusz replacement, or bumping Chen and replacing Matusz in one fell swoop?

It's never easy around here is it?

Its true. You must qualify everything.

And by qualify, I mean...

typing.gif

...that's not say that...

office_typing.gif

...but before anyone claims that I don't think 3/30 is too steep for someone entering...

typing.gif

...ERH PITCHERS PARK...

TypingBla_zps17078424.gif

oh to hell with it!

panda-rage-2-o.gif

Why is it significant that Chen is the rotation's "one lefty"? ERA+ of 105, 100, and 93 (so far this year) since he's been with the O's. FIPs of 4.44, 4.04, and 4.42. Averages 5.73 innings per start. And when Jimenez comes back, you'll have Jimenez, Tillman, Norris, Gonzo, Gausman, and Chen all vying for starts.

We both know that Jimenez isn't getting bumped from the rotation, so which is better: keeping 2-3 starters at the back end of the rotation on irregular schedules while searching for an external Matusz replacement, or bumping Chen and replacing Matusz in one fell swoop?

I am not a huge advocate of worrying about lefty/righty in regards to hitting or pitching. Mostly I think that talent should be the primary factor. There are however certain teams that it is an advantage to have a lefty starter in the rotation.

The way the O's rotation is Chen has every bit the chance to have as good an appearance as those other folks on any given start. If he was clearly a weak link I could see removing him even though he is the only lefty.

I am not a huge advocate of worrying about lefty/righty in regards to hitting or pitching. Mostly I think that talent should be the primary factor. There are however certain teams that it is an advantage to have a lefty starter in the rotation.

The way the O's rotation is Chen has every bit the chance to have as good an appearance as those other folks on any given start. If he was clearly a weak link I could see removing him even though he is the only lefty.

I mostly agree, though I see the O's rotation as having only three, true, "moveable" pieces (in terms of bullpen vs. rotation): Chen, Gonzo, and Norris.

IMO, Gausman should either be getting regular starts, or he should be in the minors. I really, really don't like the idea of sticking with six starters and pushing around starts for guys at the back end. Tillman and Jimenez are just...in the rotation, no matter what. That leaves the three I mentioned. Again, IMO, Norris has a small, but distinct, edge over Chen and Gonzo when it comes to keeping a spot. Gonzo has been pitching well of late, and he has a track record that's simply better than Chen's to this point. Based on all that, it makes sense to me to move Chen, even though the degrees of separation between him, Norris, and Gonzo aren't huge.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>phils said trying hard to trade ryan howard, willing to pay most of $70M to go. <a href="http://t.co/kGExhaxEw0">http://t.co/kGExhaxEw0</a></p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">July 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I might think about this one.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>phils said trying hard to trade ryan howard, willing to pay most of $70M to go. <a href="http://t.co/kGExhaxEw0">http://t.co/kGExhaxEw0</a></p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

Even if he was 100% free, I'd have to think about it a long while. He's not worth trading anything of value...or anything in the orbit of value.

Where are you putting him? As disappointing as Davis has been I don't see it.

Where are you putting him? As disappointing as Davis has been I don't see it.

Another good question. Pearce would be the odd man out if Howard DHs. Cruz to left, Davis still at 1B. I wouldn't mind seeing Pearce at 1B more often, but that won't happen. And there's basically no point in splitting ABs between Davis and Howard.

Another good question. Pearce would be the odd man out if Howard DHs. Cruz to left, Davis still at 1B. I wouldn't mind seeing Pearce at 1B more often, but that won't happen. And there's basically no point in splitting ABs between Davis and Howard.

Howard would be a good example of what a huge first baseman contract looks like. Up close.

Archived