Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This guy fits the mold of defensive outfielder that Buck would like. He's not hitting, but I'm wondering if a Pearce/Parra platoon could work?

2 time Gold Glove winner, 5.5 rWAR last year and 3.0 rWAR in 2011. Definitely a defensive upgrade and makes David Lough totally expendable. But he will cost more than half a platoon is worth.

Cleveland is said to be shopping Cabrera who is also a FA after this season. They are terrible against lefties and are still in contention (at least in their opinions most likely). They have Aviles and Turner to fill Cabrera's shoes.

In that scenario, Carp would replace Young's roster spot and Cabrera would replace Schoop. Platoon Pearce/Carp.

What do you think Carp would cost?

Maybe cheaper than acquiring Carp and Cabrera, what about Cabrera and Chris Dickerson for Delmon Young+? Cabrera goes to 2B, schoop goes to AAA until September, Dickerson platoons in LF against RHP.

What do you think Carp would cost?

Maybe cheaper than acquiring Carp and Cabrera, what about Cabrera and Chris Dickerson for Delmon Young+? Cabrera goes to 2B, schoop goes to AAA until September, Dickerson platoons in LF against RHP.

Chris Dickerson as a part of a platoon. Nope. No on Carp also. I guess Cabrera would be an upgrade (.700 OPS), but I am fine with letting Schoop learn at the ML level.

Chris Dickerson as a part of a platoon. Nope. No on Carp also. I guess Cabrera would be an upgrade (.700 OPS), but I am fine with letting Schoop learn at the ML level.

A reliever that can replace an option-able reliever for a month and what ever else is left at the end. We like our guys.

Ridiculous. He will sign with a strong contender who offers the most money. CLE doesn't fit that def. BOS, LAD, LAA, MFY do.

Why wouldn't the Dodger just buy him. I'm sure they will. Greinke has an opt out.

The Os could make that move without totally hampering their future.

And to.point out your last paragraph. I said I would only do if it Lester would agree to an extension which is why you/we are taking about the money in the first place. I already said I wouldn't give that up for a rental.

As to your first point, it not just about not "totally hampering their future." It's about not getting 25 cents on the dollar in a trade. If the Orioles are parting with a big asset like Bundy they better darned well do it for something more valuable than a dozen starts from Jon Lester. Would you pay a free agent $40M a year just because your budget said you could spend $40M on free agents this year? Of course not, you'd offer him what you thought he was worth.

And on the second point, you never really answered why you place such a massive value on this extension. The extension will be for market value+. The O's would be getting what we hope is a 3-5 win pitcher for maybe five years, but they'd be paying $20M+ a year for that. The salary is what's paying for the extension. The prospects are paying for 10 or 12 starts. You don't add a bunch of value to the deal for the right to then turn around and pay $100M to someone. The only thing you'd add a bit of sweetener for is that brief window where you can exclusively negotiate.

Is it just me or are the types of players the Orioles could use and afford much easier and cheaper to aquire off waivers after the deadline?

Almost every LHP on non-contenders will go through waivers.

Almost every platoon/pinch hitting lefty will go through waivers.

Almost every veteran league average starter having a decent 2nd half will go through waivers.

I find it highly unlikely any player we actually want can be obtained now for any reasonable price.

Ridiculous. He will sign with a strong contender who offers the most money. CLE doesn't fit that def. BOS, LAD, LAA, MFY do.

I'm not sure why you keep leaving off the Cubs -- they will have around $100MM in payroll to spend over the next three off seasons, and if the winning starts next year payroll could climb as high as $150-165MM by 2017.

The only team close to the Cubs as far as financial flexibility over the next two off seasons is the Red Sox.

Yep I'm a fool and you are the same guys that have over valued very "top" O's pitching prospect for the last 20 years.

How many starters have we developed in the last 20 years? One, Two

Gausman is the only member of our present rotation that came through the O's player development system, and he is a college guy. Have we ever developed a HS pitcher?

Excuse me is I would gladly jettison Bundy for Keuchal or his ilk to enhance our chances of winning in the here and now.

Dude 150 innings is a sample size regardless to who you want to argue with. It's more likely he's the pitcher he was before this year than the pitcher he's been for half a season

That's almost an argument against him. His career HR/9 is more than double that. Sounds more like a string of luck.

At 26 years old a string of luck might actually be tangible improvement.

Or a string of luck, hard to tell.

Archived