Boog Powell

CP0861

Frobby;

Eddie is clearly the better player, but Boog was part of more world championships and WS appearances and he WAS the 1970 MVP. Eddie NEVER was an MVP.Having seen them both play, I'd say Boog was among the top 5 Oriole hitters of all time.He was also among the most fan friendly. He still is.

Boog played on better teams. There have been very few teams in baseball history as good as the 1969-71 Orioles.

Boog was particularly adept at making the play on throws that bounced once or twice. That is a vital skill for a first baseman that I'm not sure is properly accounted for in the defensive metrics. In my mind, that is far more valuable to a team than having a first baseman who can range ten or twelve more inches to his right on a ground ball, snagging three more grounders on the season. If the first baseman doesn't make the play on the low throw, the error goes to the infielder that made the throw. How many throwing errors did Orioles' third basemen and shortstops have under Boog's watch? Brooks has said that Boog Powell got him into the Hall of Fame.

That is something that Brooks would say, being the modest man that he is. But Brooks won six straight Gold Gloves before Boog became the every day first baseman, so don't let Brooks' modesty mislead you. He was going to the Hall of Fame with or without Boog. I agree though that Boog had a good set of hands.

Boog is beloved wherever he's hung out, whether it's down here in S. Florida or out in front of the BBQ stand. That forms its own priceless reward and I'm sure Boog must feel the affection everyday. For various often unfair reasons, it's not something that Eddie has been able to enjoy.

(A trivial point, but the very name "Boog" is much more widely and reverently remembered than "Ed-die." Yankee fans of my generation, for example, recall being vanquished by Boog a lot more than by Eddie, even though that was probably not the actuality. And these days they seem to fear Buck more than any single O's player!)

Boog played on better teams. There have been very few teams in baseball history as good as the 1969-71 Orioles.

That is something that Brooks would say, being the modest man that he is. But Brooks won six straight Gold Gloves before Boog became the every day first baseman, so don't let Brooks' modesty mislead you. He was going to the Hall of Fame with or without Boog. I agree though that Boog had a good set of hands.

You don't need to sell me on Brooks. :)

Boog is beloved wherever he's hung out, whether it's down here in S. Florida or out in front of the BBQ stand. That forms its own priceless reward and I'm sure Boog must feel the affection everyday. For various often unfair reasons, it's not something that Eddie has been able to enjoy.

(A trivial point, but the very name "Boog" is much more widely and reverently remembered than "Ed-die." Yankee fans of my generation, for example, recall being vanquished by Boog a lot more than by Eddie, even though that was probably not the actuality. And these days they seem to fear Buck more than any single O's player!)

They fear, and revere, Buck.

Not old enough to have enjoyed his playing days, but I'm very aware that he was a great guy. I absolutely love the statue between the park and Pickles, especially the last line (East face):

Brooks Robinson was the second person to ever receive the Roberto Clemente Award, granted to the baseball player who best exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement, and the individual's contribution to his team.

In 1970, Brooks was named the S. Rae Hickok Professional Athlete of the Year, an award granted to the top professional athlete in all United States sports that year. Brooks was elected in 1999 to the Major League Baseball All-Century Team – the best players at each position from 1900 through 1999.

“There's not a man who knows him who wouldn't swear for his integrity and honesty and give testimony to his consideration of others. He’s an extraordinary human being, which is important, and the world’s greatest third baseman of all time, which is incidental.”

• 2 years later...
The Orioles should include Andy Etchebarren in the Orioles HOF.He caught a lot of the most important games in Orioles history and was the man behind the plate in the 66, 69,70,71,World Series (some with Elrod) .He was a player and coach for the Orioles from 62'-75. That ALONE, should qualify him. They'll NEVER retire his number though. He wore #8.

Speaking of #8, I once asked Boog about his time in LF when he wore #16. He said a new guy (Weiss from Chicago?) came and asked for that number so he asked for 26. He said they wanted to give me #8 (he winked and said ' imagine that'), but he told them that he was to fat to wear just one number...... Gotta love Boog!

If not Boog then why not McNally, or Brady, or Blair, or Belanger, or Mussina, etc.? If you're going to argue for Boog, by default you have to argue for a lot of other guys, and then it becomes overkill, kind of like the Orioles Hall of Fame. Manny will be a great test case though many years from now if he continues the way he's going, no matter where he ends up playing.

If not Boog then why not McNally, or Brady, or Blair, or Belanger, or Mussina, etc.? If you're going to argue for Boog, by default you have to argue for a lot of other guys, and then it becomes overkill, kind of like the Orioles Hall of Fame. Manny will be a great test case though many years from now if he continues the way he's going, no matter where he ends up playing.

I would say the only Oriole whose number is not currently retired who I think should be considered is Mussina. But 35 has been worn by a lot of people since he left town. Still, I wonder if the Orioles might do something if he gets elected to the HOF in the next few years, as he should.

crawjo said:

I would say the only Oriole whose number is not currently retired who I think should be considered is Mussina. But #35 has been worn by a lot of people since he left town. Still, I wonder if the Orioles might do something if he gets elected to the HOF in the next few years, as he should.

o

Also, before he came to town.

05cuellar_CA0-popup.jpg

o

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Thank you Boog.

And Happy Birthday!

Btw, why does he go by Boog instead of John?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boog_Powell

Powell received the nickname “Boog” from his father. As Powell explained, “In the South they call little kids who are often getting into mischief buggers, and my dad shortened it to Boog.”