Boog Powell

CP0861

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>*Kramer's moviefone voice* "well why don't you just tell me what number isn't retired"</p>— Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) <a href="
">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That was a great tweet.

You can't retire everyones number. And when the league randomly retires a player's number once already, I think you need to limit the guys who get retired numbers. If you retire Boog what about Cuellar and McNally? Belanger and Blair?
Wait, Randomly? Randomly. Really?

"Pick a number, any number."

"Hmmmmmm. How about that black dude that used to play for the Dodgers before they moved to California ???"

"Good enough. Spread the word, and get it over with, already."

The Orioles should include Andy Etchebarren in the Orioles HOF.He caught a lot of the most important games in Orioles history and was the man behind the plate in the 66, 69,70,71,World Series (some with Elrod) .He was a player and coach for the Orioles from 62'-75. That ALONE, should qualify him. They'll NEVER retire his number though. He wore #8.

I am surprised he is not in the Orioles HOF.

yeah, obviously everyone realizes that.

but to only retire the numbers of the guys in the HOF seems snooty to me. as dominant as the team was in the 60's and 70's you've got 3 players from that era recognized. The Orioles are an old and storied franchise....why not recognize a few more guys?

I like it the way it is, a very rare honor. And at this point, it's a little late to retire Boog's number, don't you think? Buck is wearing it, Johnny Oates wore it, Joe Altobelli wore it, and numerous others since Boog have worn it. http://www.oriolesnumbers.com/twenties.html

Eddie as an Oriole: .294/.370/.498, 343 homers, 1224 RBI, 139 OPS+, 56.3 WAR

Boog as an Oriole: .266/.362/.465, 303 homers, 1063 RBI, 135 OPS+, 35.3 WAR

It's reasonably close, but Edide is the best first baseman to play for the Orioles.

As an aside, I frequently read that Boog was a very good defensive first baseman. dWAR certainly doesn't think so: -12.6 in his Orioles career, and in negative territory literally every single season of his career. dWAR doesn't like Eddie, either: -6.4 as an Oriole, including a -0.4 total in the three years he won a Gold Glove. But Eddie certainly was the better fielder of the two.

The Orioles should include Andy Etchebarren in the Orioles HOF.He caught a lot of the most important games in Orioles history and was the man behind the plate in the 66, 69,70,71,World Series (some with Elrod) .He was a player and coach for the Orioles from 62'-75. That ALONE, should qualify him. They'll NEVER retire his number though. He wore #8.

The Yankees retired #8 twice. And they also have a few non-HOF's there. I think I kind of prefer the Orioles method. Although I think it's kind of weird they have a few 'unofficial retired' numbers.......I wonder if that will go on indefinitely.

The Yankees retired #8 twice. And they also have a few non-HOF's there. I think I kind of prefer the Orioles method. Although I think it's kind of weird they have a few 'unofficial retired' numbers.......I wonder if that will go on indefinitely.

I do. I think so.

Frobby;

Eddie is clearly the better player, but Boog was part of more world championships and WS appearances and he WAS the 1970 MVP. Eddie NEVER was an MVP.Having seen them both play, I'd say Boog was among the top 5 Oriole hitters of all time.He was also among the most fan friendly. He still is.

Boog was more like Chris Davis. Eddie was more like Miguel Cabrera. Boog would go into prolonged slumps. Eddie had a bad series.

I like it the way it is, a very rare honor. And at this point, it's a little late to retire Boog's number, don't you think? Buck is wearing it, Johnny Oates wore it, Joe Altobelli wore it, and numerous others since Boog have worn it. http://www.oriolesnumbers.com/twenties.html

It's reasonably close, but Edide is the best first baseman to play for the Orioles.

As an aside, I frequently read that Boog was a very good defensive first baseman. dWAR certainly doesn't think so: -12.6 in his Orioles career, and in negative territory literally every single season of his career. dWAR doesn't like Eddie, either: -6.4 as an Oriole, including a -0.4 total in the three years he won a Gold Glove. But Eddie certainly was the better fielder of the two.

Boog had a very good glove and adapt at handing hops and high throws, as well as stretching out to catch the ball. As a big man, he moved pretty good for his size, but he didn't have the range that Eddie did.

Boog was particularly adept at making the play on throws that bounced once or twice. That is a vital skill for a first baseman that I'm not sure is properly accounted for in the defensive metrics. In my mind, that is far more valuable to a team than having a first baseman who can range ten or twelve more inches to his right on a ground ball, snagging three more grounders on the season. If the first baseman doesn't make the play on the low throw, the error goes to the infielder that made the throw. How many throwing errors did Orioles' third basemen and shortstops have under Boog's watch? Brooks has said that Boog Powell got him into the Hall of Fame.