Confession: I Hate The Seven Nation Army Cheer at OPACY

Trace21230

The Heat stole it from the Ravens who stole it from CFB who stole it from European Soccer who stole it from The White Stripes.

It's okay, but not really what I want at O's games. I wish the O's had a chant of their own. I also wish the scoreboard would stop trying to lead lame chants.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like hearing it at O's games. Yeah, it's not unique to the Ravens, but it was the Ravens who popularized it here in Baltimore. Then O's fans picked it up too. I like seeing that kind of cross-pollenation between the fan bases. We're all Baltimore fans, it's nice to have some common traditions across teams.

You know what I really love? When the Ravens go on the road in the play-offs, and you hear the "O!" during the national anthem in Miami, or in New England. That's awesome, and always a great indication of how well the team travels. Would I want Ravens fans to stop doing that just because it's an Orioles tradition? Heck no.

Besides, the "OOOOOO" chant sounds perfect for Orioles games. If anyone should be using it, it's us. :)

You can make the argument that the Orioles made it to Super Bowl 47:

[video=youtube;w6XM8MAXGp0]

You can make the argument that the Orioles made it to Super Bowl 47:

[video=youtube;w6XM8MAXGp0]

An even better version of the "O" via a fan shot video. Skip to 2:08.:

[video=youtube;ZqMi9gedGOI]

I prize originality above nearly everything, and so knowing that the "Seven Nation Army" cheer was a common college-football cheer before it was a Ravens cheer before it was an Orioles cheer makes me wish that O's crowds would come up with something new. (I've never followed college football and I grow less and less interested in the NFL anymore.)

That said, I like the enthusiasm. It beats empty seats (or seats full of people who think they're in a place called "Fenway South").

[Edit: I just saw that Hank Scorpio posted essentially the same thing I did, but about a half hour before I did it. So much for originality.]

It's annoying but as other have eluded to, I would prefer 35K O's fans chanting that than having to hear Let's Go Red Sox for 3 hours.

Although watching Red Sox chant "Let's Go Red Sox" right before this happens is sooooooooo worth it:

[video=youtube;nNgimQxQuXM]

Archived