Machado injury (Sprained Knee Ligament- 15 Day DL)

nevadaO

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this thread, with this timing, is the perfect moment to point it out. :rolleyestf:

It's a legitimate point. If this is as serious as it looks and Machado is left with two surgically repaired knees, it's going to give a lot of front offices pause before signing him long-term.

But why is that your first reaction on a thread about an injured player? If your mom died I would feel sorry for you, not think about who is going to replace her.

First, he didn't die, and he's not going to die. I'm sure he'll live a long and happy life.

Second, it's more about the Orioles having a rare and special chance at the playoffs. Manny's absence hurts the team a lot more than his injury hurts him physically. We are mourning the damage to the team as an entity, moreso than the damage to the player, because Manny will be pain-free when they knock him up with painkillers in a few minutes.

Third, figuring out how to replace such a good defender -- who's had on-and-off hot streaks with the bat -- is going to be very difficult on August 11th. If this is going to take Machado more than a few months to recover from, we'll be able to find a very suitable replacement before opening day 2015, but I doubt we'll find anything satisfactory by season's end.

A huge blow for our 2014 hopes.

It's a legitimate point. If this is as serious as it looks and Machado is left with two surgically repaired knees, it's going to give a lot of front offices pause before signing him long-term.

It is a legitimate point, but the timing and placement of the insight sucks.

Michael Kay on YES just said it was a sprain, to be evaluated tomorrow.

Logical thinking vs emotional thinking.

You realize we're currently in a playoff race, right? No one else is thinking about Manny's contract situation. No one was thinking about it before he got hurt, or after. You just came in looking for some angle that'd make you look like a jerk. Very logical.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Machado has right knee sprain</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">August 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Machado will be re-evaluated tomorrow, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> say</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">August 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

First, he didn't die, and he's not going to die. I'm sure he'll live a long and happy life.

Second, it's more about the Orioles having a rare and special chance at the playoffs. Manny's absence hurts the team a lot more than his injury hurts him physically. We are mourning the damage to the team as an entity, moreso than the damage to the player, because Manny will be pain-free when they knock him up with painkillers in a few minutes.

Third, figuring out how to replace such a good defender -- who's had on-and-off hot streaks with the bat -- is going to be very difficult on August 11th. If this is going to take Machado more than a few months to recover from, we'll be able to find a very suitable replacement before opening day 2015, but I doubt we'll find anything satisfactory by season's end.

A huge blow for our 2014 hopes.

What does any of this have to do with Manny's long-term contract negotiations?

Archived