Hypothetical, Jones for McCutchen

Outlander

Since you obviously have some very strongly held opinions on the relative merits of different players, it would be interesting to know how you come to those conclusions. What tools or frameworks do you use? How do those differ from the various published versions of WAR?

Why field of study did you take part in that trained you to be cynical? Do you mean the "concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them" definition of cynical?

"How do you measure yourself against other golfers?" "By height."

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, absolutely. That's like asking "would you take Peyton Manning or Joe Flacco for this NFL season?"

That's a BS statement. Jones is far and away the best player on this team, and has actually embraced this organization and this city. In other words he wants to be here, despite some fans who always whine about him swinging at the first pitch or blowing bubbles in the outfield. How do we know McCutchen wouldn't leave for NY or Boston, at the first opportunity? Now Markakis and McCutchen? That would be like Flacco and Manning.

I would disagree with this. Ortiz is playing on by far a worse offensve team than McCutch and is still piling up the RBIs with a lower average and as many HRs as Cutch is capable of.

Its all about timely hitting. Better believe he gets the oppurtunities. Maybe he just isnt as Clutch as some may think.

Maybe is average isnt as great as it appears to be.

McCutchen has batted 138 times with runners in scoring position and has a .947 OPS with 43 RBI.

Ortiz has batted 140 times with RISP and has a .979 OPS and 60 RBI.

Ortiz has batted 29 more times with runners on base (27 more times with a runner on first).

Basically they have had similar opportunities with runners on and similar results. McCutchen does have an OPS over 1.000 in late/close situations, while Ortiz is at .868, in similar number of PAs.

McCutchen has batted 138 times with runners in scoring position and has a .947 OPS with 43 RBI.

Ortiz has batted 140 times with RISP and has a .979 OPS and 60 RBI.

Ortiz has batted 29 more times with runners on base (27 more times with a runner on first).

Basically they have had similar opportunities with runners on and similar results. McCutchen does have an OPS over 1.000 in late/close situations, while Ortiz is at .868, in similar number of PAs.

Its safe to say if Cutch didnt get hurt he would have had more opportunities, but still wouldnt have had the RBI success.

An average Jones homer this year has traveled 399.5 feet. An average McCutchen homer has traveled 397.5. That difference would appear to be small.

Dont mean to nit pick, but I heard during a Os game earlier this year that there is a jet stream of air that effects HRs in OPACY ( even though the Os dont seem to be effected). Idk if.that was because of the time year or what. But I do believe PNC would make it easier to hit further HRs than OPACY (providing the jet stream theory is true and goes year long).

Dont mean to nit pick, but I heard during a Os game earlier this year that there is a jet stream of air that effects HRs in OPACY ( even though the Os dont seem to be effected). Idk if.that was because of the time year or what. But I do believe PNC would make it easier to hit further HRs than OPACY (providing the jet stream theory is true and goes year long).

No. There is no jet stream.

It's crazy how bent out of shape some posters get over merely discussing a HYPOThETICAL.... It's not being ungrateful or anything like that at all. It's just a discussion weighting the statistical value of a superior player, vs the more romantic value of our home town leader. I mean, I love my girlfriend of 8 years. We have a great relationship. But if someone asks me if I could sleep with Mila Kunis or Kate Upton, I'm not gonna get all up in arms, I'm not gonna say, " I can't answer, I love my girlfriend", or, " this could never happen, how would I meet them, they wouldn't be into me, plus they are both in serious relationships".... It's just a fun little hypothetical . Jesus.

It's crazy how bent out of shape some posters get over merely discussing a HYPOThETICAL.... It's not being ungrateful or anything like that at all. It's just a discussion weighting the statistical value of a superior player, vs the more romantic value of our home town leader. I mean, I love my girlfriend of 8 years. We have a great relationship. But if someone asks me if I could sleep with Mila Kunis or Kate Upton, I'm not gonna get all up in arms, I'm not gonna say, " I can't answer, I love my girlfriend", or, " this could never happen, how would I meet them, they wouldn't be into me, plus they are both in serious relationships".... It's just a fun little hypothetical . Jesus.

Haha. Go ask your girl how she'd feel about that HYPOTHETICAL....she might not care(be upset), other girls would.

Everyone thinks different. Some ppl are realists and don't Like thinking about "what ifs" if the probability of it is worse than the average joe making it with a superstar celebrity.

An average Jones homer this year has traveled 399.5 feet. An average McCutchen homer has traveled 397.5. That difference would appear to be small.

I agree, last year was 404+ for McCutchen and 402+ for Jones. I'd say HR distance is a wash.

Haha. Go ask your girl how she'd feel about that HYPOTHETICAL....she might not care(be upset), other girls would.

Everyone thinks different. Some ppl are realists and don't Like thinking about "what ifs" if the probability of it is worse than the average joe making it with a superstar celebrity.

I'm sorry, that's incorrect. The answer I was looking for was Mila Kunis.... Lol.

Jones has had more home runs the last two seasons, Career wise his slugging percentagr is 30 points less but his average is 17 points less so most of the lower slugging percentage is singles. Jones also has a lower rate of triples. That might be due to base running or park factors but I doubt it is due to power yetit increases slugging percentage. Overall if you consider league differences it is just OBP where Jones falls behind, with the increas in home runs probablu responsible.the increased RBIs for Jones.

I always felt like OPACY isn't a very 3B conducive park. ESPN's park factor seems to agree (#22 in favorability toward the 3B this season), which could have something to do with the fact that we don't have a ton of triple speed on this team. We have only 8 triples on the season, the next lowest team is the Mets with 8, then the Twins and Indians with 15. We were dead last in 3B last season (2013), tied for 2nd least in 2012 with Boston (only MFY were worse), last in the MLB in 2011, and we were actually tied for 5th least in 2010. I wonder if this is park-driven, speed-driven, or strategy (why risk getting thrown out when our roster leads the MLB in homers?); maybe some combination of all of these.

Yeah well you have half my point. Seems like a lot of the posters would dump their wives if given a chance with Mila Kunis.

Archived