Schoop Slowly But Surely Getting It

brianod

I don't relish him going up against the playoff studs he will face but I have seen enough over the last few weeks to conclude Buck was right to play him everyday. His upside looks very high at the moment. Much like Manny, it was asking a lot to start him at his age, but instead of ruining his confidence, he seems to be learning at the big league level. Good for him and good for us.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't relish him going up against the playoff studs he will face but I have seen enough over the last few weeks to conclude Buck was right to play him everyday. His upside looks very high at the moment. Much like Manny, it was asking a lot to start him at his age, but instead of ruining his confidence, he seems to be learning at the big league level. Good for him and good for us.

The bolded is what jumps out at me. I think a lot of us were worried that his development was at risk given that he looked totally overmatched for much of the season. But he really does look more comfortable out there with the bat, and his glove has been stellar. I have to imagine that having such a great group of teammates really helped him to weather the storm/growing pains.

The bolded is what jumps out at me. I think a lot of us were worried that his development was at risk given that he looked totally overmatched for much of the season. But he really does look more comfortable out there with the bat, and his glove has been stellar. I have to imagine that having such a great group of teammates really helped him to weather the storm/growing pains.

Some people need time at the ML level to get better, and I had a feeling Schoop was one of those guys. He was close to being a little old for a prospect but now, it looks like he could have a solid ML career. He might never make an all star game, but you never know. I don't know if he'll ever walk a lot. Something in common with a lot of Orioles. :rolleyes:

Generally speaking, if someone is 23 years old and the team still says he needs seasoning in the minors, a huge red flag pops up in my face.

Some people need time at the ML level to get better, and I had a feeling Schoop was one of those guys. He was close to being a little old for a prospect but now, it looks like he could have a solid ML career. He might never make an all star game, but you never know. I don't know if he'll ever walk a lot. Something in common with a lot of Orioles. :rolleyes:

Generally speaking, if someone is 23 years old and the team still says he needs seasoning in the minors, a huge red flag pops up in my face.

Uh...he doesn't turn 23 until the middle of October. He was the 3rd youngest player in the International League (AAA) last season.

EDIT: he was also the 3rd youngest player in the AL as of Opening Day 2014.

Uh...he doesn't turn 23 until the middle of October. He was the 3rd youngest player in the International League (AAA) last season.

EDIT: he was also the 3rd youngest player in the AL as of Opening Day 2014.

Sorry, didn't mean to say Schoop was or is old, but was worried that he might have still been in the minors even in 2015. In other words I agree with the team giving him major league at bats.

Sorry, didn't mean to say Schoop was or is old, but was worried that he might have still been in the minors even in 2015. In other words I agree with the team giving him major league at bats.

That's the thing, I think. 2015 was a pretty reasonable ETA for Schoop, but necessity put him on this year's ML team. And it definitely looks like he's rising to the occasion.

What Schoop has learned is how to punish mistakes. Now he just needs to learn what not to swing at. He reminds me a lot Adam Jones in his first year here. Hopefully he develops as Jones did.

Melewski just said that homer was 446 feet, longest at OPACY this year. The kid is strong as an ox. Nice disposition, too.

Has to make you wonder if his development is ahead since he was given the opportunity to do so at such a high level. I agree he is looking like a more complete player all the time. And man I love him smiling as much as he does, really looks like he truly is enjoying this!

Archived