Schoop Slowly But Surely Getting It

brianod

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting stats...

In games that Schoop has played and the O's win he has a .294/.335/.513 split line. In losses, he is at .111/.133/.148. This was before last night's game.

Whoa. But yeah I agree with the OP, he's coming around. I am glad we did not send him down. He's obviously still far from a finished product but I like his game.

Sticking with offense for a moment: you can't judge it solely, or even mostly, by HR and RBI. Also, Schoop and Flaherty 2014 have played a lot more than Roberts and Flaherty did in 2013, because of time missed by Hardy and Machado and the absence of Casilla. But if you just look at 2B:

2014: .226/.264/.361, 52 R, 16 HR, 45 RBI in 528 PA

2013: .236/.300/.369, 64 R, 15 HR, 63 RBI in 612 PA

Even accounting for the 25 remaining games (including last night's, which aren't included in these stats), we were better at 2B offensively last year. More runs, more RBI, much better OBP.

This year it's been Flash, Schoop, Lombo and Weeks (1 game).. Right now they combine for 56 runs, 17HR, 48 RBIs (adjust for last night). Not that impressive. But with 25 games left or around 175-200 PA. That 72 run mark and maybe that 72 RBI mark isn't out of reach. In the last 26 games Schoop has 10 Runs, 5 HRs, 12 RBI. But it's highly doubtful on the RBI side.

Overall, the offensive advantage last year was greater than any defensive advantage this year, according to the numbers. Schoop's horrible OBP is the main reason for that -- the occasional homer doesn't make up for getting on base less than 26% of the time.

Schoops OBP isn't great. We all know that. But things stats like Runs and RBIs are team dependent as well. If nobody gets on base for you, you can't drive in runs and if nobody hits you in, you don't get runs. Schoop with RISP is .253/.299/.418. That's not a bad slash line.

Still, the main thing is that Schoop is 22 years old and learning. He's been noticeably better at the plate in August and September. Whatever bumps and bruises he suffered in 2014 at the plate, you have to be excited by what he might due down the stretch run, in the playoffs if we get there, and in 2015 and beyond. We were able to carry Schoop's poor bat for four months while he learned while still playing well as a team, and now we are starting to see dividends on that investment.

Not to quibble anymore.. but I think Schoop's bat tends to carry us against the Yankees. .429/.484/.964. ;)

He's a big reason why I haven't thought the losses of Wieters and Manny were insurmountable. If we can have 3-4 guys hitting well at a given time - our lineup is surely deep enough to make that a realistic expectation - we can beat anybody. Markakis, Pearce, Jones, Davis, Cruz, Schoop, and Young are all more than capable of delivering big blows. Then if some of our other players can be on base or otherwise contribute offensively, watch out.

Schoop and Gonzo are two guys that I'd really like to see stay hot for the rest of the year.

2 WAR as a 22 year old is not "average to bad."

Who cares about his age in terms of the O's on-field success this year? If Schoop had no arms and was hitting and fielding with his feet, a WAR of 0 up to this point in the season would be absolutely amazing. But that doesn't mean the O's are a better team because of it.

Schoop overall value this year has been pretty average to poor for the O's.

He's a big reason why I haven't thought the losses of Wieters and Manny were insurmountable. If we can have 3-4 guys hitting well at a given time - our lineup is surely deep enough to make that a realistic expectation - we can beat anybody. Markakis, Pearce, Jones, Davis, Cruz, Schoop, and Young are all more than capable of delivering big blows. Then if some of our other players can be on base or otherwise contribute offensively, watch out.

Schoop and Gonzo are two guys that I'd really like to see stay hot for the rest of the year.

Is there anyone currently hot right now you'd like to see cool down for the rest of the year?

Who cares about his age in terms of the O's on-field success this year? If Schoop had no arms and was hitting and fielding with his feet' date=' a WAR of 0 up to this point in the season would be absolutely amazing. But that doesn't mean the O's are a better team because of it.

Schoop overall value this year has been pretty average to poor for the O's.[/quote']

Just saying that if you were expecting 3+ WAR from your 22 year old rookie, than you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just saying that if you were expecting 3+ WAR from your 22 year old rookie, than you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

No, he's performed about as I would expect from someone this young. I just think it's odd for people to say that because he's performed well over the last week and a half or so, it was shortsighted to want the O's to upgrade the 2B position this year and let Schoop learn in the minors. Schoop was not very good for most of the season.

To some degree he is correct. The average WAR for a full time position player is +2 WAR. Of course the question is, does Schoop qualify as a full time position player? He has played in 83% of the O's games to date. Is that full time? I think it falls a bit short.

If we project his numbers forward with the assumption of him being an every day player he probably cracks 2 WAR.

Who cares about his age in terms of the O's on-field success this year? If Schoop had no arms and was hitting and fielding with his feet' date=' a WAR of 0 up to this point in the season would be absolutely amazing. But that doesn't mean the O's are a better team because of it.

Schoop overall value this year has been pretty average to poor for the O's.[/quote']

Somehow, that statement sounds a bit worse than it is. There are 27 2B with at least 300 PA this year. Of those, Schoop ranks 15th in fWAR, 24th in wOBA. So, I think your statement is fair enough. Still, a rookie has to start somewhere, and not many rookies are excellent right away. So, "pretty good for a rookie" would also be a fair statement.

No' date=' he's performed about as I would expect from someone this young. I just think it's odd for people to say that because he's performed well over the last week and a half or so, it was shortsighted to want the O's to upgrade the 2B position this year and let Schoop learn in the minors. Schoop was not very good for most of the season.[/quote']

And whom exactly would the O's have obtained that was an upgrade?

Cano?

If you have not noticed there is a serious dearth of +2WAR second baseman right now.

Look at this.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/2b/sort/WARBR/order/true

Guess who is currently 13th in MLB?

And making the league minimum.

Getting 2 win production out of someone making 500K is an above average ROI.

Archived