Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

If you read that someone else (say, an older fan, for example...) was arguing from "memory" rather than easily-researchable/reviewable facts, what would your reaction be?

I am at work, on a discussion board where opinions are debated...my reaction would be to say I disagree and support that disagreement with fact or just leave as simple you see it this way and I see that way.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am at work, on a discussion board where opinions are debated...my reaction would be to say I disagree and support that disagreement with fact or just leave as simple you see it this way and I see that way.

You wouldn't say..."I remember things differently, but I'll check the facts when I have time to verify, because I could be wrong"? Seems like that's the only reasonable response. You can't argue opinions like that without acknowledging that your arguments don't carry much weight, given that it's really, really easy to check those opinions against Davis' game-by-game stats.

Do we know if Hardy has an exemption for the Cortisone injection he just had?

It's not a banned substance and it is not anabolic. Completely different animal with different uses and side effects. I know that some folks might not be aware of their difference. Most folks do know.

If you read that someone else (say, an older fan, for example...) was arguing from "memory" rather than easily-researchable/reviewable facts, what would your reaction be?

Just to be clear I hardly said that he was a devastating loss...was responding to the idea that another post forth that said he had no value this season ... an assertion I might add that was not backed up by any type of facts either. Were is the angst regarding that lol.

Like I said, far the postseason this team will go as far as their arms will carry them. We have been winning with pitching and that is not going to change IMO

You wouldn't say..."I remember things differently, but I'll check the facts when I have time to verify, because I could be wrong"? Seems like that's the only reasonable response. You can't argue opinions like that without acknowledging that your arguments don't carry much weight, given that it's really, really easy to check those opinions against Davis' game-by-game stats.

That is fair to say.

Should have said it more as an opinion rather than "flat out wrong"

That said since the post I was responding to did not really cite any data, I assumed we arguing opinions anyway

So a guy makes a statement that Davis has had virtually no value and backs it up with nothing to support it but if I disagree I have to back it with stats...yea ok...that makes sense.

So this means that if we wrap the first round out in 3 games rather than 5 it only counts as 3 games off the suspension instead of 5?

The rosters are set before the series anyway so he is out for the ALCS anyway. He could only be eligible for the Worlds Series. Unless the Os wanted to play man down. And even then I think they could not because he is not ell ogle to be reinstated until at least the fourth game of the ALCS and can be on the roster until he is eligible.

Just to be clear I hardly said that he was a devastating loss...was responding to the idea that another post forth that said he had no value this season ... an assertion I might add that was not backed up by any type of facts either. Were is the angst regarding that lol.

Like I said, far the postseason this team will go as far as their arms will carry them. We have been winning with pitching and that is not going to change IMO

Well, FWIW, I remember a few of Davis' big hits, too. Unfortunately, they were far outnumbered by his strikeouts/failures. He hit .134/.310/.284 (.594 OPS) in "late and close" situations this year. Just a dismal showing for the most part.

EDIT: concerning your last reply, he gets less grief because his statement is closer to the truth. Davis' value this season has been close to "0".

Chris Davis has a fWAR of 0.4 this season. Do you know what Kelly Johnson's is? 0.4 Ryan Flaherty? 0.3

What are we freaking out about again? This is not a big loss.

I am not freaking out. Think it really has very little effect on the postseason or chances to advance.

Given the choice between Johnson, Flaherty and Davis, I would take Davis every time. That's just me. At the end of the day if we win a championship it will be because the Orioles pitching continues to excel as it has and the offense does just enough as it has.

The rosters are set before the series anyway so he is out for the ALCS anyway. He could only be eligible for the Worlds Series. Unless the Os wanted to play man down. And even then I think they could not because he is not ell ogle to be reinstated until at least the fourth game of the ALCS and can be on the roster until he is eligible.

I was wondering about this. I was assuming MLB made an exception for players coming off a suspension. If that's not the case than whether or not Davis comes back could just be up to the way we win the series.

Archived