This is nothing compared to 1969

Frobby

Let me say, I've been traveling overseas and didn't see the last two games, or much of the first two. And while I'm annoyed to lose to a team I KNOW in my heart isn't as good as us, in four games no less, I've lived through far worse postseason disasters, especially watching the 1969 loss to the Mets. 45 years and that still stings beyond belief. This season, on the other hand, was a great one that I will look back on fondly despite the rout by the Royals. And wait 'till next year!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me say, I've been traveling overseas and didn't see the last two games, or much of the first two. And while I'm annoyed to lose to a team I KNOW in my heart isn't as good as us, in four games no less, I've lived through far worse postseason disasters, especially watching the 1969 loss to the Mets. 45 years and that still stings beyond belief. This season, on the other hand, was a great one that I will look back on fondly despite the rout by the Royals. And wait 'till next year!

Well said. And very true.

The Royals outplayed us in every facet of the game. They deserved to win. And it wasn't so much because we were so bad; they were so good.

We didn't hit the ball hard very frequently, but when we did someone was there to make a great play.

I attended Game 1 of the '69 series. I still can't believe we lost to the Mets.

I agree this doesn't top '69, but I believe it is pretty far up the list. It feels worse to me than '96 or '97, but it can't top the World Series losses. Those all were heinous. The Orioles haven't been relevant for enough of my lifetime to have had that many playoff frustrations, but this is definitely the worst of them.

I was born in '68 so '69 might as well been '39 for me. But the 1979 World Series was still worse than this. They blew a 3-1 lead for the World Championship and I can still hear that damn "We Are Family" in my head.

Hey, the Royals played great. They deserve to win it. Great pitching, great defense and opportunistic run scoring.

Here's to hoping Angelos and Duquette improve upon the 2014 team.

1969 was in the World Series, ditto 1979 which was another extremely bitter loss. WADR to Frobby, who I doubt followed , and hung on, every game of 1969, unlike 2014, this one stings a lot more. I'd much rather lose in the World Series than this, but we don't get to make that decision.

P.S. I was in second grade in 1969, and I'd bet most fans here were not born yet ;)

Archived