This is nothing compared to 1969

Frobby

This season was great no doubt. I guess the difference between now and 1969 (which I wasn't around to witness) is that in 1969 the O's were in the beginning years of what would become a great era for baseball in Baltimore. Not only were they great the next year, but they went to the next two World Series.

I just can't confidently say that I expect our team to be back here next year. We play in a tough division that had a bit of a down year and probably will be much tougher next year. This year seemed like a golden opportunity. These aren't going to come around often.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, this is nothing compared to the Lee Evan's drop and Billy Cundiff miss. It's not like the O's lost because Adam Jones dropped a routine fly ball in the bottom of the 9th for the final out.

Doesn't even bother me anymore because we won the next year. It's not like Evans and Cundiff cost us anything.

I'm actually kind of glad that game happened. Without that, we likely don't get Tucker.

Doesn't even bother me anymore because we won the next year. It's not like Evans and Cundiff cost us anything.

I'm actually kind of glad that game happened. Without that, we likely don't get Tucker.

Agree totally. I even got to attend in New Orleans. But at the moment of course it was devastation. Much, much, much more than what happened today. Today for me was just disappointment.

I was lucky enough to have been at the first game in 1969. Don Buford's first inning leadoff home run off Tom Seaver landed about three feet from me in the right field bleachers at Memorial Stadium. The rest of the series was the worst. (and the Colts and Bullets both lost championships to NY teams that year- awful all around.) 1970 was wonderful, 1971 was tough, 1979 was awfully tough, 1983 was great. And we had a number of other great division winners, teams that didn't quite make it to the World Series during that era. I remember how painful Earl's last game in 1982 when we almost caught the Brewers but lost in the last game of the year then led to the great 1983 season. But this team, this year, will always be special to me because Lily Kate, my first granddaughter was born this year and I will always love 2014!!! Thanks Buck and DD and ALL the great Orioles on this year's team!!! 119 days till spring training and we will go all the way in 2015!!!

1969, 1979, and 1982 were all worse than this. But for each of those heartbreaking losses we knew the team had a solid core of good to great players, and that we'd still be contenders for a while. If the current Orioles go back to also ran status (very possible) then this might hurt more in the long run than those losses decades ago.

Right and it was Far FAR worse as we were hugely favored and many though would actually sweep the Mets. We were sort of just beaten by a better all around team this time around and they were better.

Colts losing to Joe Willy Namath and the Jets was much more horrific in that same year!! I can still see Earl Morrall not even seeing a wide open Jimmy Orr on that flea flicker play in the first half....Good grief!!

I was 14 in 1969 when we loss to the Mets in the WS. Some call it the biggest upset in baseball history. Yet this year was more painful. We are a better team than KC. We had chance after chance to win all four games. It seem like we didn't give 100%. I don't even what to write about it anymore. I'm in pain my friends.

I was 14 in 1969 when we loss to the Mets in the WS. Some call it the biggest upset in baseball history. Yet this year was more painful. We are a better team than KC. We had chance after chance to win all four games. It seem like we didn't give 100%. I don't even what to write about it anymore. I'm in pain my friends.

Me too buddy. Me too.

Archived