This is nothing compared to 1969

Frobby

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. One thing I've always enjoyed about this board is it is simply put, all about the orioles. Like I said, not everyone here are ravens fans, even those of us who were born and raised in Oriole country. For those of who fall into that category, we enjoy not having that assumed for us, or just brought up on a regular basis.

The Miracle Mets scarred me for life. Will never, ever get over that defeat as a young boy. Seeing the crying Oriole logo on the evening news after the losses haunted me for years. This does not come close IMO.

Hate "We are family" to this day as well. :eek:

Yes I agree as I despise losing to any NY based team. Then you had even worse the Colts losing to a vastly inferior Jets team and I believe the Bullets losing to the Knicks, although at least the Knicks weren't underdogs like the Mets and Jets were.

One year, we had the Colts, Orioles and Bullets all play for a championship.

All 3 teams never played for the championship in the same season.

The Colts played for the 1968 championship (January of 1969), and the 1970 championship (January of 1971.)

The Orioles played for the championship in 1969, 1970, and 1971.

The Bullets played for the championship in 1971.

The Colts and the Orioles did WIN the championship in the same season (1970.)

Bubba Smith always said in interviews years later that he thought that the game had been fixed. Dont know, but there were lots of strange things, like that ball that bounced off Tom Mitchell in the end zone for an interception, that flea flicker and Shula waiting forever to put in Unitas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bubba Smith was right. I always thought the game was fixed.

I was 10 years old in '69 and I have some memories of the plays the Mets made in that series. But for me, I still carry the sting of '79. As some others have said, I can't listen to that "We are Family" crap and not get angry.....I'm getting pissed just typing about it! :angryfire:

Guest rochester
Let me say, I've been traveling overseas and didn't see the last two games, or much of the first two. And while I'm annoyed to lose to a team I KNOW in my heart isn't as good as us, in four games no less, I've lived through far worse postseason disasters, especially watching the 1969 loss to the Mets. 45 years and that still stings beyond belief. This season, on the other hand, was a great one that I will look back on fondly despite the rout by the Royals. And wait 'till next year!

1969 still shocks me - even if I was very young it was the first time I witnessed "my team" lose this bad. 79 was bad as well. Sometimes I wonder if there is more emotion in losing - as much as I remember 1983 well, 69 and 79 feel worse than 83 feels good (does that make sense?)

All 3 teams never played for the championship in the same season.

The Colts played for the 1968 championship (January of 1969), and the 1970 championship (January of 1971.)

The Orioles played for the championship in 1969, 1970, and 1971.

The Bullets played for the championship in 1971.

The Colts and the Orioles did WIN the championship in the same season (1970.)

This is technically correct. However, the experience of it was that, in the same calendar year of 1969, the Colts lost in January to the upstart New York Jets, the first time ever that an NFL team had lost to an AFL team, and to a team with the most obnoxious player of the century, Joe Willie Namath, bragging and guaranteeing a win over our Colts who had absolutely destroyed the NFL with a 13-1 record and a 34-0 demolition of the Cleveland Browns in the NFL Championship game. To lose to them was the most tremendous shock I have had in all my years of watching sports. That spring, our Baltimore Bullets played the New York Knicks, of the Earl Monroe/Walt Frazier, Jack Marin/Bill Bradley, Gus Johnson/Dave Debusschere, Kevin Loughery/Dave Barnett and Wes Unseld/Willis Reed match ups. The Bullets had the best regular season record in the NBA, by far, and they lost in a SWEEP, 4-0 to the New Yorkers. Another devastation. And then in the World Series of that fall, with the best team in Orioles history, imho, they were swept by the THIRD New York team. So yes, they were not all for the championship, but they all occurred in the same calendar year, they all involved upsets, and, most aggravatingly, they were ALL to New York.

1969 still shocks me - even if I was very young it was the first time I witnessed "my team" lose this bad. 79 was bad as well. Sometimes I wonder if there is more emotion in losing - as much as I remember 1983 well, '69 and '79 feel worse than '83 feels good (does that make sense?)

Yes, it makes sense.

I fell in love with the Orioles in October of 1971, when I was 6 years-old.

My whole family was rooting for the Pirates, because they liked Roberto Clemente.

I remember the Orioles winning Game Six on a sacrifice fly, with the runner (Frank Robinson) sliding underneath a leaping catcher (Manny Sanguillen) for the winning run. Then, I remember all of the Orioles mobbing each other at home plate.

The next day was a different story. It was a close game. My family was really excited with the Pirates having a 2-1 lead with only one out to go. I still remember the final out of the ninth inning. It was a groundout. My family whooped it up in the living room while I went outside, put my hands in my face, and pouted on the swing-set in our back yard.

To me, that 6 year-old boy pouting on the swing-set in the backyard because his favorite team lost the World Series is more poignant than the 18 year-old boy that was happy when his favorite team won the World Series 12 years later.

This is technically correct.

It's not just technically correct. It is correct.

They occurred almost a full year apart from each other.

The 49ers won 4 Super Bowls in the 80's, even though the Super Bowl in which they beat the Broncos was played in January of 1990.

The Steelers won 4 Super Bowls in the 1970's, even though the Super Bowl in which they beat the Rams was played in January of 1980.

If one is to be acknowledged as so, then so should all others.

It may be convenient for dramatic purposes to say that the Jets beat the Colts the same year/season that the Mets beat the Orioles by pointing to the technicality that the Super Bowl was played on January 12th of 1969, but that is inaccurate, as any record book will show that it was the 1968 Jets that were the champions of the football world, not the 1969 Jets, who went 10-4, and lost to the Chiefs in the A.F.L. playoffs.

It's not just technically correct. It is correct.

They occurred almost a full year apart from each other.

The 49ers won 4 Super Bowls in the 80's, even though the Super Bowl in which they beat the Broncos was played in January of 1990.

The Steelers won 4 Super Bowls in the 1970's, even though the Super Bowl in which they beat the Rams was played in January of 1980.

If one is to be acknowledged as so, then so should all others.

It may be convenient for dramatic purposes to say that the Jets beat the Colts the same year/season that the Mets beat the Orioles by pointing to the technicality that the Super Bowl was played on January 12th of 1969, but that is inaccurate, as any record book will show that it was the 1968 Jets that were the champions of the football world, not the 1969 Jets, who went 10-4, and lost to the Chiefs in the A.F.L. playoffs.

You are correct. But I lived through them all in 1969. That was all that I was referencing. Record books are not the same as living the experience.

You are correct. But I lived through them all in 1969. That was all that I was referencing. Record books are not the same as living the experience.

I can imaine how bad that you felt.

When I started rooting for the Bullets (1971-72 season), they would lose to the Knicks in the playoffs every year ...... 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade.

Finally in 4th grade (1974-75), the Knicks lost Willis Reed, Jerry Lucas, and Dave DeBusschere to retirement, and declined to being an average team that was eliminated in the best-of-3 miniseries, while the Bullets made it to the N.B.A. Finals.

I can imaine how bad that you felt.

When I started rooting for the Bullets (1971-72 season), they would lose to the Knicks in the playoffs every year ...... 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade.

Finally, in 4th grade (1974-75) the Knicks declined to an average team that was eliminated in the best-of-3 miniseries, and the Bullets made it to the N.B.A. Finals.

Yeah, six years in a row the Bullets and Knicks, though they won in 1971 seven game when Fred Carter made a jumper in the last minute of game 7, then they lost to Alcindor and the Bucks in 4. Earl Monroe went over to NY in the middle of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right on. I did also at age 14 and still to this day cannot see how Morrall handed Super Bowl III to the Jets. And since it all happened I the same calendar year as the Mets and Bullets it was a wretched experience unlike no other.:agree:

Archived