Will Markakis sign with the O's before the FA signing begin? (Option Declined)

wildcard

Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?

• Yes, Nick will resign with the O's before he is eligible to sigin with other clubs.
    • No, will not resign with the O's at all
    • No, Nick will not resign with the O's before he can sign with other clubs

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Markakis would be back for sure, but now I'm not so sure. I think it might be time for new blood and a change of scenery for both sides. I can't see him being worth any free agent contract he'll get, and I think Duquette knows it's not money well-spent, despite his popularity.

MLBTR says the Mets should take a hard look at Nick, they admit his power numbers are not what you want, but they specifically site the lack of quality free agent OFs available.

For that same reason, the Orioles might look to try and keep Nick here.

Who says you need an "upgrade" per se? Just because we don't have any internal options that can't give us a 1.9 WAR season (and god I hope that isn't true)' date=' doesn't mean they aren't giving us better value for this year and going forward.[/quote']If we are serious about WS then better value isn't the only criteria. I think the idea is to improve the team for next year. An OF of Pearce/De Aza, Jones and Lough is a lateral move at best, IMO.

I think if you keep Nick, which I think they do, you have to put him lower in the batting order. Question is, who is your #2 hitter? Machado?

DeAza

Machado

Jones

Davis

Pearce

Wieters

Hardy

Markakis

Schoop

That's a pretty good lineup, IMO, with Joseph, Lough, Flaherty, and Young on the bench.

Question is, are we better with Pearce in LF, DeAza in RF, and another DH type (possibly Cruz)? Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes. The Sox parted ways with Nomar, STL lost Pujols, Seattle lost Griffey, etc, etc, etc. It happens. And while I'd hate to see Markakis wind up in Boston or New York, but I want to win a lot more than I want to keep Nick in Baltimore or out of a rival's uniform.

I've seen multiple people over the past few days suggest De Aza as the '15 Orioles leadoff hitter. Why? 2012 is the only time he's ever looked like a MLB leadoff hitter. This year he had a .314 OBP, last year a .323. Against lefties his career OBP is .311. And his SB% is below break-even, he costs the team runs every time he attempts a steal. And... he's 3rd-year arb eligible and will make something like $5-6M. To me he looks like a relatively expensive platoon player who is a so-so leadoff hitter solely against righties.

I think we saw that fast outfielders with range are the new it thing for playoff teams.

So that tells me it's about time to start looking for fat corner infielders and DHs.

If we are serious about WS then better value isn't the only criteria. I think the idea is to improve the team for next year. An OF of Pearce/De Aza, Jones and Lough is a lateral move at best, IMO.

But they could potentially use the cost savings to improve in other areas, while also improving the OF defense.

If we are serious about WS then better value isn't the only criteria. I think the idea is to improve the team for next year. An OF of Pearce/De Aza, Jones and Lough is a lateral move at best, IMO.

But I don't expect the O's to just pocket the money they saved. You put the money you saved on Markakis and invest it some place else.

But I don't expect the O's to just pocket the money they saved. You put the money you saved on Markakis and invest it some place else.
Where? SP? RP? DH? 2B? You don't sign Miller, Cruz, and Markakis, you have a weaker team regardless of how well Davis Manny and Wieters do. All of whom have question marks with their return.

What other areas? 2B? SP? Sure you could use the money saved to sign either Miller or Cruz. You in favor of that?

I wouldn't mind having Cruz back, but the pricetag is probably going to be unjustifiable. I'd love to have Miller back, but the pricetag will probably be obscene. I'd look for a Lough platoon partner. I'd look for a backup middle infielder. I'd try to find a good first baseman/DH, and go into 2015 with Davis not getting many ABs against lefties. I'd look at more Miller/Hunter types who're still disappointing starters.

Where? SP? RP? DH? 2B? You don't sign Miller, Cruz, and Markakis, you have a weaker team regardless of how well Davis Manny and Wieters do. All of whom have question marks with their return.

I guess I just don't see Markakis as valuable as you do. I think a Lough, Pearce, Jones, De Aza outfield will more than makeup for Nick's absence. Use the money to address the pen. Add it to the price of a DH.

I guess I just don't see Markakis as valuable as you do. I think a Lough' date=' Pearce, Jones, De Aza outfield will more than makeup for Nick's absence.[/b'] Use the money to address the pen. Add it to the price of a DH.

Except when you're facing a left-handed SP and are stuck with either Lough or De Aza in the lineup. If the O's could add another right-handed hitting outfielder to that quartet, and have platoons in both LF and RF, then it might work.

Archived