Is Andrew Miller a must sign. I believe so. He can get both righties and lefties out and has filthy

BamaOsFan

I think your feelings are inaccurate here when you look at the data. For his first 6 seasons, he was awful. Since then, he's been consistent and trending upwards towards the unhittable range we see today. I don't buy so many who claim with certainty here that he will suck or even that he will give 5 years of more sustained greatness that he's recently found. No one knows. Life is not certain.

The last four years have shown steady and progressive effectiveness as he has likely found his role in the league:

2011 - 5.54

2012 - 3.35

2013 - 2.64

2014 - 2.02

As a GM, you'd hate to have been on the wrong side while Detroit or Boston snatched him up and he sustained this level for 4-5 more years when you had him on your team and likely had first crack at him.

Those stats look like the stats of another former Orioles left-handed reliever -- B.J. Ryan.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relief pitchers are like running backs. Once they've developed their optimum value and marketability, they've pretty much peaked, and more than likely will be less valuable to the team that desperately wants to sign them.

I loved what Miller did for us this season. But I just wouldn't put too much money into trying to keep him here. He can regress just as soon as he has progressed.

Relief pitchers are like running backs. Once they've developed their optimum value and marketability, they've pretty much peaked, and more than likely will be less valuable to the team that desperately wants to sign them.

I loved what Miller did for us this season. But I just wouldn't put too much money into trying to keep him here. He can regress just as soon as he has progressed.

Exactly how I feel as well. Add in the fact that the Dodgers, Tigers, Red Sox and Yankees (assumedly) will be in on Miller and I'm guessing the price will be exorbitantly high. I think we need to use our resources elsewhere (higher OPS batters for one) and look for relief help again at next trade deadline...

Did enjoy Miller on the ball club though and he did a tremendous job for us. He's certainly earned his big pay day...

I see this argument quite often but we have seen many relievers continue to be effective into their late 30's. To each their own but I wouldn't make such claims as absolute truths because they aren't.

You could be right however in that he could get priced out.

I think your feelings are inaccurate here when you look at the data. For his first 6 seasons, he was awful. Since then, he's been consistent and trending upwards towards the unhittable range we see today. I don't buy so many who claim with certainty here that he will suck or even that he will give 5 years of more sustained greatness that he's recently found. No one knows. Life is not certain.

The last four years have shown steady and progressive effectiveness as he has likely found his role in the league:

2011 - 5.54

2012 - 3.35

2013 - 2.64

2014 - 2.02

As a GM, you'd hate to have been on the wrong side while Detroit or Boston snatched him up and he sustained this level for 4-5 more years when you had him on your team and likely had first crack at him.

The thing you've glossed over is that Miller has only pitched in 143 innings over the last three years combined. Just as he's become an excellent reliever he's had a hard time staying healthy. Even this year, with him pitching lights out and the O's relying on him heavily down the stretch he only threw 62 innings.

It is far from certain that he's going to be a 1-something ERA pitcher with 15 K/9 and 60+ innings over the next 4-5 years. Since he's really only done that once, so far.

Rather spend a lot of money on a relief pitcher, I think the strategy should be to find the next Wade Davis or Andrew Miller. Look at unsuccessful starters with good stuff. A couple of names to consider by doing a quick search are Jhoulys Chacin and Randall Delgado.

I think relief pitchers performance are much more volatile than for example a shortstop. Very rarely do you see a shortstop come out of no where to become productive.

In post game interview, Miller said he loved it here and he wouldn't rule out a return. I'm not counting on keeping him but our bullpen is going to miss him greatly.

If we are talking about the same interview (WBAL radio post-game), he indeed sounded more upbeat about returning and it was rather surprising in his tone. Tom Davis even commented to Dave Johnson "That's the most significant news I've heard in four days." The MASN video clip I saw was more toned down. I'd love him back. Maybe Angelos will loosen the wallet up some now with this latest taste of the ALCS. He's 85 now. He doesn't have many more years to savor a World Series appearance in his lifetime. I remember him rather teary and emotional vowing in a postgame clubhouse visit that the O's would be back after the ALDS loss to NY in '12.

Miller is a must sign. Hunter should be released. I have no confidence in Hunter or Matusz.

Why? Hunter may not be a starter or a closer. However, he is still useful and was very good after May. Hunter will make a fraction of what Miller will make and is not a free agent for a couple of years. I am quite sure if he was released, Detroit and several other teams would attempt to sign him very quickly.

Why? Hunter may not be a starter or a closer. However, he is still useful and was very good after May. Hunter will make a fraction of what Miller will make and is not a free agent for a couple of years. I am quite sure if he was released, Detroit and several other teams would attempt to sign him very quickly.

Hunter's a free agent after next season, and in 2015 will make more than half of what Miller makes (I guess that's technically a fraction, but I think you were talking about a bigger disparity).

Archived