Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/?p=44898

The deal will send Kemp and catcher Tim Federowicz to San Diego, with the Dodgers receiving catcher Yasmani Grandal, righty Joe Wieland, and pitching prospect Zach Eflin. The Dodgers will also include $30MM to help cover the $107MM remaining on Kemp?s contract.

Yeah, listening to the MLB network last night and this seems like a done deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/?p=44898

The deal will send Kemp and catcher Tim Federowicz to San Diego, with the Dodgers receiving catcher Yasmani Grandal, righty Joe Wieland, and pitching prospect Zach Eflin. The Dodgers will also include $30MM to help cover the $107MM remaining on Kemp?s contract.

I don't know enough about any of those players to know if this is a decent deal or not.

I don't know enough about any of those players to know if this is a decent deal or not.

Kemp would be paid 5/77 by the Padres. That's roughly 11, 12, 13 wins, somewhere in there depending on inflation. If you're really optimistic you could see him as a 3-win player, or thereabouts, declining at half a win a year. So 3, 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1, for a total of 10 wins. I guess if you're really a Kemp optimist that's almost the same as his pay. So, from my perspective, the Padres would be giving up Grandal, Wieland, and Eflin solely for the right to fairly pay Matt Kemp for the next five years.

I wouldn't do it.

What a steal thanks Peter.

I'm curious, what valuation method do you use that comes to a very different conclusion than my analysis? I have to assume you're very much more optimistic about Kemp's baseline projection and decline rate than I am. You're really that convinced that his injuries and willingness to slide to an easier defensive position will work out?

The Dodgers wanted Grandal to upgrade their C position. We have Wieters, but only for one year of control. The Dodgers made the smart choice between the two.

You keep telling yourself that we all know the real reason the Orioles dropped out.

I'm curious, what valuation method do you use that comes to a very different conclusion than my analysis? I have to assume you're very much more optimistic about Kemp's baseline projection and decline rate than I am. You're really that convinced that his injuries and willingness to slide to an easier defensive position will work out?

Kemp at 5 years 76m is well worth the risk. You D.H Kemp 50 to 70 games a year his numbers are gonna look so much better.

Archived