2. RF - Pearce (Lough)

3. CF - Jones (Lough, De Aza)

4. C - Wieters (Joseph)

5. [DH]

6. 1B - Davis (Pearce)

7. SS - Hardy (Flaherty)

8. 3B - Machado (Flaherty)

9. 2B - Schoop (Flaherty)

There's only three guys in the lineup that hit lefty or switch hit in that scenario, so a lefty DH wouldn't be a bad idea. The lineup would shuffle a bit. Of course if Davis has any kind of bounce back hear he can bat cleanup again and Wieters can drop as low as 7th.

Alvarez is a righty. He could theoretically push Pearce to 1B and Davis to DH. But the lineup would still be RH heavy.

Then there's Quinton Berry. He's shows a lot of skills in the minors but he's no longer prospect age. He could be another find if he gets another chance in the majors and he is another lefty. Look at his half-season with Detroit: a .330 OBP, 21 steals and zero caught stealing. He could be a poor man's Jerrod Dyson. But really he doesn't add any threat to the lineup and he's redundant with David Lough, who has a better glove.

I don't think there's any reason to push CD to DH. IMO he's a better defensive 1B than Pearce. His reach alone is far better. Alternative though:

vs. Righties

1. LF - De Aza

2. 3B - Machado

3. CF - Jones

4. 1B - Davis

5. DH - Pearce/DH (see below)

6. C - Wieters

7. SS - Hardy

8. RF - Lough (more so to jive with Buck's L/R preferences, I don't necessarily disagree)

9. 2B - Schoop

BN - Flaherty, Alvarez, Joseph, DH? At this point, I am leaning toward us signing Kendrys Morales to be the Nelson Cruz of 2015. I wouldn't mind bringing Delmon back to be a part-time DH. If we can trade for Gattis, platooning him and Wieters at DH/C would be ideal IMO as we could then bring another position player on.

vs. Lefties (Assuming Morales)

1. LF - Pearce

2. 3B - Machado

3. CF - Jones

4. C - Wieters

5. 1B - Davis

6. SS - Hardy

7. DH - Morales

8. 2B - Schoop

9. RF - Alvarez

BN - De Aza, Lough, Joseph, Flash

The key on the platoons used above is that they wouldn't be hard and fast. I'd like to see Pearce, for example play about 5 out of 6 games or so, maybe a bit less (about 80% of games). I'm worried about overplaying and exposing him. I think he could play LF against lefties and some righties (about 2 or 3 games per week), 2 games at DH or so per week (RF works as well), and give Davis a blow about once per week at 1B. Lough and De Aza are significantly better vs. righties (.717 and .748 career OPS's, respectively) so I would really like to see their matchups played.

I could get on board with Alvarez platooning with Lough in RF, De Aza platooning with Pearce (who also rotates at 1B and DH) in LF.

How many years away was Nick when he won that job. I say lets give Dariel every chance. That's why we signed him.

I don't think there's any reason to push CD to DH. IMO he's a better defensive 1B than Pearce. His reach alone is far better. Alternative though:

vs. Righties

1. LF - De Aza

2. 3B - Machado

3. CF - Jones

4. 1B - Davis

5. DH - Pearce/DH (see below)

6. C - Wieters

7. SS - Hardy

8. RF - Lough (more so to jive with Buck's L/R preferences, I don't necessarily disagree)

9. 2B - Schoop

BN - Flaherty, Alvarez, Joseph, DH? At this point, I am leaning toward us signing Kendrys Morales to be the Nelson Cruz of 2015. I wouldn't mind bringing Delmon back to be a part-time DH. If we can trade for Gattis, platooning him and Wieters at DH/C would be ideal IMO as we could then bring another position player on.

vs. Lefties (Assuming Morales)

1. LF - Pearce

2. 3B - Machado

3. CF - Jones

4. C - Wieters

5. 1B - Davis

6. SS - Hardy

7. DH - Morales

8. 2B - Schoop

9. RF - Alvarez

BN - De Aza, Lough, Joseph, Flash

The key on the platoons used above is that they wouldn't be hard and fast. I'd like to see Pearce, for example play about 5 out of 6 games or so, maybe a bit less (about 80% of games). I'm worried about overplaying and exposing him. I think he could play LF against lefties and some righties (about 2 or 3 games per week), 2 games at DH or so per week (RF works as well), and give Davis a blow about once per week at 1B. Lough and De Aza are significantly better vs. righties (.717 and .748 career OPS's, respectively) so I would really like to see their matchups played.

I think we have to look at Matt DHing a bit too. So yeah, can't spend much money on that position.

How many years away was Nick when he won that job. I say lets give Dariel every chance. That's why we signed him.

I don't see his upside as anything better than Lough. Seems like they'll be similar except Lough is a better runner and likely a better defender in my opinion. I don't want to watch another hitter flail away to a 2 percent walk rate.

Nick never swung the bat as freely as Alvarez. That matters. He is essentially AJ without the power.

I like Alvarez and think he has potential. I think though he should be at AAA and work on his strike zone recognition and not swinging as freely as he has.

I'm not saying that Alvarez will hit as well as Jones but I think he has 20 homer protential. I think he has more power than you are giving him credit for. 15 homers and 37 doubles on the year last year.

Alvarez will never be as good as early Markakis but he could be as good or better than the last two years Markakis. Just a different kind of hitter. I would like to see him play full time at AAA but I think he might be ready for a part time role to start the season depending on how things shake oiut. I'm the only one who likes Lough but I think a Lough/Alvarez platoon could replace Nick offensively and be better defensively.

I could live with that if the other options do not pan out.

Just would rather see Alvarez get more seasoning in AAA. I think the kid could be rather good and would benefit more by playing everyday which in a platoon he would not. I see your point though and if it played out that way would not see it as completely off the wall, just not the optimal option if that makes sense.

I'm not saying that Alvarez will hit as well as Jones but I think he has 20 homer protential. I think he has more power than you are giving him credit for. 15 homers and 37 doubles on the year last year.

Alvarez will never be as good as early Markakis but he could be as good or better than the last two years Markakis. Just a different kind of hitter. I would like to see him play full time at AAA but I think he might be ready for a part time role to start the season depending on how things shake oiut. I'm the only one who likes Lough but I think a Lough/Alvarez platoon could replace Nick offensively and be better defensively.

You are not alone! There's at least two of us.

Archived