In- house RF solution?

miggyfan

Let me share some stats.

.250 12hr 57rbi 87r

30doubles 11triples 25 stolen bases

this is the platoon production of DeAza/Lough last year in pretty much the same amount of Plate appearances as Nick. More runs, doubles, triples, rbi and stolen bases. and DeAza had a down year. all for less than half of what Nick will earn next year.

Don't dislike Nick...just saying.

Let me share some stats.

.250 12hr 57rbi 87r

this is the platoon production of DeAza/Lough last year in pretty much the same amount of Plate appearances as Nick. More runs, doubles, triples, rbi and stolen bases. and DeAza had a down year. all for less than half of what Nick will earn next year.

I doubt you will see De Aza playing RF. He is a LFer and backup CF. His arm will not allow him to play much RF from what I have read.

Let me share some stats.

.250 12hr 57rbi 87r

De Aza and Lough are both left-handed hitters. They would not be a platoon.

Look no further than Steve Pearce. Most think he's a one year wonder and won't hold up because of his wrists, BUT he played plus defense in LF, average defense in RF, and put up a .930 OPS in 338 PA's. There's nothing wrong with giving a guy like that a chance to do it again at age 32. Even if you argue for a sharp regression he probably replaces Nick offensively and quite possibly defensively. As far as holding up, he and Buck need to be smart about toning down his regimen (it's said that he's a workaholic in the batting cages) and use him wisely.

I think this was discussed in another thread but I much rather have Davis in RF and Pearce at 1B. Makes more sense. Pearce isn't super durable it looks like and Davis has a wicked crazy arm.

Btw-always enjoy your posts sir, thanks for your analysis as always.

Louth and Pearce replace Nick in RF, DeAza was the LF last year, Davis is back at 1B replacing Pearce, Machado comes back to 3B sending Flaherty to the bench and hopefully Winters is back sending Joseph to the bench. Not much difference from our playoff team. The question comes with who will replace Cruz's offense.

In Baltimore, right field is shallow. Now granted - on the road he would not be a Bautista.

A player still has to have a strong arm to be a RFer and stop a runner from taking 2B. I don't know if De Aza has that kind of arm. He has good range but not a rightfielder arm from what I know about him.

I think this was discussed in another thread but I much rather have Davis in RF and Pearce at 1B. Makes more sense. Pearce isn't super durable it looks like and Davis has a wicked crazy arm.

Btw-always enjoy your posts sir, thanks for your analysis as always.

I do think people completely slept on how good Davis was in RF 2 seasons ago. All of the other choices for RF are questionable at best, imo.

Dariel Alvarez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all about giving him a shot to make the roster out of Spring Training. The kid looks like a beast. A good scout on this board introduced me to some footage of DA. He looked impressive, gunning out a guy AT THIRD BASE from deep right-center field. Plus, he OPS'd over .900 in 2013 and .800 in 2014 (with Bowie and Norfolk).

I'm very excited by this guy. Another result of Duquette's much-improved scouting department. (I remember him cleaning house when he got here... Apparently he knew what he was doing.)

He's a year away. You bring him up now gonna look like Schoop 10:1 K:BB ratio he nearly managed last year.

I almost don't care - if he's a defensive freak and we pick up some more offensive this offseason (possibly a cheapy Kendrys Morales deal?). He's also 26, and this is a good time to see what we have with this kid, IMO. If he could survive, it would immediately deepen our bench, and give us backup for Davis, and/or a possible DH. And he would be very cheap.

Archived