Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

If I am wrong. It would be Buck and Brady advising John. Have you seen Peter lately?

Agree that it isn't Peter. It has never been Peter. There has always been someone whispering in his ear. If you listen to him, it is obvious that he doesn't follow baseball to the point of knowing prospects for the Blue Jays.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put it this way...you have a good job, pick a field, any field. You get an offer for a promotion from another company in direct competition with you. Are you going to:

1. Contribute a bunch of good things to the company you're leaving and put them in even better position to compete with you

2. Ride out the remainder of your time there, skate by on the bare minimum, and save your good ideas/work for the new place

I rest my case. Everyone is doing option 2.

If you aren't sure whether you will be allowed to go and your value in the open market is going to be dependent on what you do the rest of your contract, you keep working hard.

Agree that it isn't Peter. It has never been Peter. There has always been someone whispering in his ear. If you listen to him, it is obvious that he doesn't follow baseball to the point of knowing prospects for the Blue Jays.

I am not certain Peter is capable of being whispered to. Have you seen him?

If you aren't sure whether you will be allowed to go and your value in the open market is going to be dependent on what you do the rest of your contract, you keep working hard.

If you are simply a candidate, like Mike Rizzo, you work very hard.

Call it drivel all you want but it's the truth.

It's really not the truth. Here are all the Orioles who had an rWAR of 1.0 or better in 2014:

Pearce 6.0 (acquired by Duquette)

Jones 4.9 (acquired by MacPhail)

Cruz 4.7 (acquired by Duquette)

Hardy 3.4 (acquired by MacPhail)

Britton 2.5 (drafted under Flanagan)

Tillman 2.4 (acquired by MacPhail)

Machado 2.4 (drafted under MacPhail)

O'Day 2.3 (acquired during no-GM period)

Gonzalez 2.1 (acquired by Duquette)

Markakis 2.1 (drafted under Beattie/Flanagan)

Norris 1.9 (acquired by Duquette)

Chen 1.8 (acquired by Duquette)

Davis 1.8 (acquired by MacPhail)

Lough 1.6 (acquired by Duquette)

Schoop 1.5 (acquired by MacPhail)

Joseph 1.2 (drafted under MacPhail)

Flaherty 1.1 (acquired by Duquette)

Gausman 1.0 (drafted under Duquette)

If you dipped down to 0.9 WAR, you could add Andrew Miller, another Duq acquisition.

Overall, Duquette was responsible for adding two of the three most valuable players on the 2014 Orioles, as well as a large chunk of the pitching staff that made the team so successful. MacPhail's holdovers certainly provided good value, but Duquette's acquisitions were essential, as well.

It's really not the truth. Here are all the Orioles who had an rWAR of 1.0 or better in 2014:

Pearce 6.0 (acquired by Duquette)

Jones 4.9 (acquired by MacPhail)

Cruz 4.7 (acquired by Duquette)

Hardy 3.4 (acquired by MacPhail)

Britton 2.5 (drafted under Flanagan)

Tillman 2.4 (acquired by MacPhail)

Machado 2.4 (drafted under MacPhail)

O'Day 2.3 (acquired during no-GM period)

Gonzalez 2.1 (acquired by Duquette)

Markakis 2.1 (drafted under Beattie/Flanagan)

Norris 1.9 (acquired by Duquette)

Chen 1.8 (acquired by Duquette)

Davis 1.8 (acquired by MacPhail)

Lough 1.6 (acquired by Duquette)

Schoop 1.5 (acquired by MacPhail)

Joseph 1.2 (drafted under MacPhail)

Flaherty 1.1 (acquired by Duquette)

Gausman 1.0 (drafted under Duquette)

If you dipped down to 0.9 WAR, you could add Andrew Miller, another Duq acquisition.

Overall, Duquette was responsible for adding two of the three most valuable players on the 2014 Orioles, as well as a large chunk of the pitching staff that made the team so successful. MacPhail's holdovers certainly provided good value, but Duquette's acquisitions were essential, as well.

Why count Cruz if Buck said no he wouldn't be here in 2014. Pearce was all luck now with Dan counting on him in 2015 let's see how that works out.

Put it this way...you have a good job, pick a field, any field. You get an offer for a promotion from another company in direct competition with you. Are you going to:

1. Contribute a bunch of good things to the company you're leaving and put them in even better position to compete with you

2. Ride out the remainder of your time there, skate by on the bare minimum, and save your good ideas/work for the new place

I rest my case. Everyone is doing option 2.

If I signed a contract with my current employer, had success at my current job, and was being fairly compensated for my work then I would continue working for them to the best of my ability.

I signed a contract.

How is this even a question?

What reason is there to believe that Cal would be a good GM?

I have no evidence. None. I just think the guy has been around a lot of smart baseball people. He would hire the right folks to help him and he would make smart moves to build the farm system and put a WS caliber team on the field. What qualified Elway to run things for the Broncos? Yet, the Broncos have been a winning team since he took over even though they haven't won it all.

I just don't know what the Angelos' actually think of Cal as a possible executive.

Archived