Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
source - Boston Globe
Well Cafardo does mention the Aville for Farrell trade. And he states quite convincingly that that major league players are only traded for managers. Except he doesn't mention why and ironically ignors the major league player the Sox received from the Cubs for Theo. Not saying he's wrong. Just don't know why he's right.

I'd also like to know Cafardo's source, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt because (1) I think he's a pretty good reporter, and (2) as a Biston guy, he previously covered the Epstein and Farrell transactions, so he has reason to be familiar with the nuances of how this works. I must say, I see no logical reason why a manager can be traded for a major leaguer but an executive can't. Also, Cafardo's article doesn't mention the MLBPA. If there is a rule, I think it's more likely MLB, not the MLBPA, that established it. After all, all trades have to be approved by the Commissioner's office, thanks to Charlie Finley's antics 40 years ago. And that could explain why Selig and Manfred have been talking to the Orioles' lawyer about this.

I'd also like to know Cafardo's source, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt because (1) I think he's a pretty good reporter, and (2) as a Biston guy, he previously covered the Epstein and Farrell transactions, so he has reason to be familiar with the nuances of how this works. I must say, I see no logical reason why a manager can be traded for a major leaguer but an executive can't. Also, Cafardo's article doesn't mention the MLBPA. If there is a rule, I think it's more likely MLB, not the MLBPA, that established it. After all, all trades have to be approved by the Commissioner's office, thanks to Charlie Finley's antics 40 years ago. And that could explain why Selig and Manfred have been talking to the Orioles' lawyer about this.

Makes good sense. I think without the tampering issue, this would have been resolved by now as well.

The Orioles appear to be looking for more than one potentially significant player in exchange for Duquette. The name of right-hander Jeff Hoffman, Toronto?s top pick (ninth overall) from last year, has come up (among others), and my sense is the Orioles wouldn't take him straight up for Duquette. So that gives you an idea of how exorbitant the Orioles' price tag might be -- potentially too exorbitant.

That really hasn't changed too dramatically since last week. Club managing partner Peter Angelos said then that he would listen to offers, but the sense was that he would have to be blown away. Now maybe the gust doesn't have to be as strong.

Why? I think it's because Duquette does really want this job and he's expressed that to several people at the top of the organization. And ultimately, it's not an enviable position to be in, standing in the way of someone's aspirations -- even though the Orioles have every right to do so.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-updated-thoughts-on-the-dan-duquette-situation-20150122-story.html#

I'm not sure how to read that. Is Connolly saying that it will stay take Hoffman+ or that we'd be willing to deal DD for less?

It is not like we are trying to get rid of DD. He wants to go. He is causing all this turmoil. I would have prefered for him to stay but at this point getting a good haul for him is what I want. Otherwise he can be a GM in title only as he obviously has no desire to be here anymore. He might be a great GM but as a person he seems to quite lacking.

No, we're not and I do see where you're coming from...and at the end of the day, I can't fault anyone for taking a better job in terms of a higher pay grade, more responsibilities, better job title. My day job is a recruiter/headhunter, so this is what I deal with on a daily basis. I'm always trying to do this type of thing, pulling people out of companies and placing them in other ones. Looking at it from that perspective I can't get TOO mad.

But sports is different and as a fan, it's all about passion and feelings and...I @#$%ing hate Toronto, you know? It's like, why OUR guy? Why us? There are other GM's out there, you had to poach OUR guy? Like I said in my original post, we had such a long string of crap baseball and losing seasons and we finally get back on track, this guy is a big part of it and...now he's gone? All because Toronto has to stick their little blue #$%^ in our affairs? GTFO.

However, at the end of the day, I want Toronto to pound sand on this one. I agree with Moose.

I know we've had our differences over the years but I'm glad we agree on this. Toronto can go play in traffic.

We've now surpassed 4,000 posts in this thread. Anyone know what the record is for most posts in a thread on here?

It's gotta be the Teixeira saga. IIRC there were like three or four threads that were longer than this and the mods would shut em down and start a new one cause they got too big or something. I think the Tex thing was the biggest OH saga of all time.

It's gotta be the Teixeira saga. IIRC there were like three or four threads that were longer than this and the mods would shut em down and start a new one cause they got too big or something. I think the Tex thing was the biggest OH saga of all time.

This mega thread and all the slow waiting is definitely bringing back the Tex saga.

I just hope we're not left with egg on our face again. :P

I hope we don't end up winning the battle and losing the war. Angelos has to make sure DD's replacement continues to build on what has occurred over the past three years.

This morning's opinion article in the Toronto Star is pretty explosive!!!

"When Montreal Expos president Claude Brochu confronted then-GM Dan Duquette with rumours that the Red Sox were pursuing the New England native to be their own general manager in January 1994, Brochu informed him he was under contract and that he would not let him go. The response from Duquette, who had taken over the Expos from Dave Dombrowski in 1991, was that if he stayed his heart may not be in it and he would not be able to do the job to the best of his abilities....Duquette was out of MLB between being let go by the Bosox in 2002 and finally being hired by the Orioles, ahead of Jays’ current assistant GM Tony LaCava. Fact is, he had been available for anyone to hire, including the Jays — attending every winter meetings in that time as a job seeker, usually sitting alone in hallways and lobbies as disinterested execs passed by. "

http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2015/01/22/why-blue-jays-should-pass-on-dan-duquette-griffin.html

This morning's opinion article in the Toronto Star is pretty explosive!!!

"When Montreal Expos president Claude Brochu confronted then-GM Dan Duquette with rumours that the Red Sox were pursuing the New England native to be their own general manager in January 1994, Brochu informed him he was under contract and that he would not let him go. The response from Duquette, who had taken over the Expos from Dave Dombrowski in 1991, was that if he stayed his heart may not be in it and he would not be able to do the job to the best of his abilities....Duquette was out of MLB between being let go by the Bosox in 2002 and finally being hired by the Orioles, ahead of Jays’ current assistant GM Tony LaCava. Fact is, he had been available for anyone to hire, including the Jays — attending every winter meetings in that time as a job seeker, usually sitting alone in hallways and lobbies as disinterested execs passed by. "

http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2015/01/22/why-blue-jays-should-pass-on-dan-duquette-griffin.html

Yeah-saw that posted in another thread, pretty mind boggling. Maybe people suggesting that mere fact of even saying that makes you a lunatic should calm down.

I don't think DD is deliberately tanking, but I do think you can "mentally check out" of a place of employment if you know you are going somewhere or feel like you are forced.

The lack of moves this offseason is questionable at best. You don't always have to make moves just to make them, but I see no way that we are better than last year. Losing Cruz's bat hurts.

Archived