Orioles interested in Seth Smith

Roll Tide

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would the Padres be happy with just Matusz though? If I were A.J. Preller I'd want at least one more piece than that. If I were Dan Duquette I'd give him that second piece, depending on who it is.

Check my last post. I edited it to include a mid level prospect. Most likely money is part of the equation. The padres just spent a bundle on Kemp and they want Upton. We're taking on a few bucks by getting Smith. Fortunately it's spread over a few years.

I'm not sure if you understand what dumpster diving means. Seth Smith is a pretty good player.

Can't hit left-handed pitching at all. So a part-time player. De Aza and Lough can't hit left handers either. I guess if we got him De Aza would be back up centerfielder and Lough would become a DFA.

This makes sense. I've felt that DD has been strapped for dollars because of all of the arbitration cases he has this year. I've been thinking that he has been seeking a free agent outfielder for about 3-4 million per year. If he could trade Matusz for Smith he'd get his player for the right price. It would take more than just Matusz. Probably a mid level prospect as well. Maybe a catcher.

Because I don't really know, will Matusz be enough to get him?

Check my last post. I edited it to include a mid level prospect. Most likely money is part of the equation. The padres just spent a bundle on Kemp and they want Upton. We're taking on a few bucks by getting Smith. Fortunately it's spread over a few years.

That's a little more like it. Plenty of B-/C+ prospects to choose from. If they're looking for a bat, we've got Christian Walker, Dariel Alvarez, Jomar Reyes, Mike Yastrzemski and Mike Ohlman off the Sickel's List.

He could play some defense but I would want him as our main DH vs RHP.

Then who plays right and left field. If you have a 4 man bench you just used one of them for DH. You have Flaherty as your second. You have a back up catcher. Sorry, I don't see your plan working at all.

Can't hit left-handed pitching at all. So a part-time player. De Aza and Lough can't hit left handers either. I guess if we got him De Aza would be back up centerfielder and Lough would become a DFA.

Not necessarily.

1) L De Aza LF

2) R Pearce RF

3) L Smith DH

4) R Jones CF

5) L Davis 1B

6) R Machado 3B

7) S Wieters C

8) R Hardy SS

9) R Schoop 2B or L Flaherty 2B

I like that lineup against RHP. Lough would spell Pearce in RF.

Then who plays right and left field. If you have a 4 man bench you just used one of them for DH. You have Flaherty as your second. You have a back up catcher. Sorry, I don't see your plan working at all.

Wieters

Davis

Schoop

Hardy

Manny

DeAza

Jones

Pearce

Smith

Young

Joseph

Flaherty

Lough

What doesn't make sense?

Wieters

Davis

Schoop

Hardy

Manny

DeAza

Jones

Pearce

Smith

Young

Joseph

Flaherty

Lough

What doesn't make sense?

De Aza can't hit left handers so he isn't an everyday player. His OPS against left handers last year was .400. That is why you guys were so wrong about Markakis. He could play everyday. He is way more valuable than people on here gave him credit for.

That's a little more like it. Plenty of B-/C+ prospects to choose from. If they're looking for a bat, we've got Christian Walker, Dariel Alvarez, Jomar Reyes, Mike Yastrzemski and Mike Ohlman off the Sickel's List.

There's a lot of talent on that list that shouldn't be lightly thrown around.

Archived