Orioles interested in Seth Smith

Roll Tide

I'm sure there's a bit of a silver lining in there in terms of his OBP, but is Smith really any better than Steve Pearce. Last season he hit .266 with 12 hrs and 48 rbis in 443 ABs. Even if he regresses, I find it hard to believe that Pearce can't at least reach those numbers.

If Smith was 26, then fine, you could argue he still has some room to improve, but he's 32. I think it's safe to say that we've seen the best of Seth Smith and it's been pretty mediocre.

You can argue splits, and preach about a platoon, but I think this is much closer to dumpster diving than I think many of you want to admit.

I think we'd be better off gambling on a 28 year old Rasmus than a 32 year old Smith. The move we should have made, short of trading for Kemp or Upton, was signing Rios to a 1 year deal. Was it a bit pricy? Yes, but we have the money to spend and he wouldn't have jeopardized the long term future of the club. He might not equal his 2013 numbers, but he's not nearly as bad as his 2014 numbers would indicate. And he would have given us a nice injection of speed.

How can you honestly say we've seen the best of Smith? He's played half of his games in a dungeon of a stadium while in a lineup that has been a joke since he made it to the majors. Put him in an O's uni where he plays half of his games at Camden Yards - those numbers will go up.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can you honestly say we've seen the best of Smith? He's played half of his games in a dungeon of a stadium while in a lineup that has been a joke since he made it to the majors. Put him in an O's uni where he plays half of his games at Camden Yards - those numbers will go up.

He also played 3+ seasons in Coors Field. It's not like Smith has played his whole career in bad hitter's parks.

Basically an older clone of Matt Joyce:

Can't hit lefties (.205 career AVG against)

Probably good for ~15 HR a year

Average to subpar defense

Couple years older

He's coming off a career year. Joyce had one of those too when he made the All Star Game. Unless you can get him for discount (Matusz?), I'd definitely pass and not pay up after last year's performance.

Having said that, Markakis is so average that if you were to swap Smith for Markakis, you probably wouldn't be missing much at the plate. Dude knows how to take a walk. OBP 100 points higher than his BA.

"I haven't seen one yet where I said, 'Golly, I wish we would have done that.' I know Dariel Alvarez and Christian Walker and Dylan Bundy, and I could keep going, are pretty happy the way the offseason is going for the Orioles. I'm sure Steve Pearce is and Brad Brach. We're not coveting everybody's guys just to say I've added a charm to my bracelet."

Buck, from Roch

"I haven't seen one yet where I said, 'Golly, I wish we would have done that.' I know Dariel Alvarez and Christian Walker and Dylan Bundy, and I could keep going, are pretty happy the way the offseason is going for the Orioles. I'm sure Steve Pearce is and Brad Brach. We're not coveting everybody's guys just to say I've added a charm to my bracelet."

Buck, from Roch

One Guy Buck - I just want one guy!

Buck, from Roch

I agree with Buck. Nothing sticks out as a miss to me either. I might have done the LaRoche deal, but that was signed before we eve knew for certain that Cruz and Nick were gone, so no real miss there. Of all of the other signings and trades I've seen, I can see doing the Blanks deal, but that one isn't a huge swing and a miss either, really. Most of the deals have seen the signing/acquiring team pay too much, IMO.

Archived