Orioles interested in Seth Smith

Roll Tide

De Aza can't hit left handers so he isn't an everyday player. His OPS against left handers last year was .400. That is why you guys were so wrong about Markakis. He could play everyday. He is way more valuable than people on here gave him credit for.

Where was I wrong about Markakis? Please show me.

De Aza is a .677 career against LHP, so last year seems more like an aberration. If he isn't able to hit LH, we can swap Hassan out for Lough.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
De Aza can't hit left handers so he isn't an everyday player. His OPS against left handers last year was .400. That is why you guys were so wrong about Markakis. He could play everyday. He is way more valuable than people on here gave him credit for.

De Aza will have to play everyday. His glove in the lineup every day is enough. Most every day. He will hit enough too.

I like Nick as well and think his steady play isn't as easily replaced either. With that being said I think initially the Orioles give DeAza a shot vs LHP. Another option is to DH Wieters some vs LHP. Hopefully Alvarez is an option at some point in the summer. It sounds like they want Delmon back and he isn't an everyday player. I was hoping Pearce would be used like a 10th starter but at this point he looks to pretty close to an everyday player.

Dumpster diving? Hardly. He has a career .347 OBP and. Career .800 OPS.

He's been a low 8 or high 7 in Colorado. With about the same home run numbers as Markakis ,,,again with half his games in Colorado.

The cheap small market Padres are in on Upton and Kemp yet we are allegedly interested in the guys they want to dump.

Can't hit left-handed pitching at all. So a part-time player. De Aza and Lough can't hit left handers either. I guess if we got him De Aza would be back up centerfielder and Lough would become a DFA.
Yep; against lefties:

1) L De Aza LF

2) R Machado 3B

3) R Pearce RF

4) R Jones CF

5) L Davis 1B

6) R Young DH

7) S Wieters C

8) R Hardy SS

9) R Schoop 2B

Good to go.

De Aza will have to play everyday. His glove in the lineup every day is enough. Most every day. He will hit enough too.

I think this is pretty weak against lefties. De Aza barely OBPs .300 against lefties, there's no way I want that leading off. And I'm not convinced Smith is really an upgrade over Lough. He has a better bat, but he also needs to be platooned and is a much weaker glove. Lough is probably a +10 fielder, Smith is probably no better than a -5. That's probably worth 100 points of OPS. I don't think you can carry three lefty outfielders, Lough, De Aza, and Smith, at the same time, someone would have to go.

De Aza is a backup center fielder like McLouth was. For just long enough to get a real center fielder up from Norfolk.

I think this is pretty weak against lefties. De Aza barely OBPs .300 against lefties, there's no way I want that leading off. And I'm not convinced Smith is really an upgrade over Lough. He has a better bat, but he also needs to be platooned and is a much weaker glove. Lough is probably a +10 fielder, Smith is probably no better than a -5. That's probably worth 100 points of OPS. I don't think you can carry three lefty outfielders, Lough, De Aza, and Smith, at the same time, someone would have to go.

De Aza is a backup center fielder like McLouth was. For just long enough to get a real center fielder up from Norfolk.

Lough and Smith are two different players though. We need a DH. Lough can still spell some outfielders and go in for defense late like last year. With a 4 man bench someone will be redundant to an extent. I don't think the Orioles view Young as a regular DH if he comes back.

Archived