An Upshot of Markakis Leaving

Scrat1

One nice thing about Markakis signing elsewhere:

Buck is no longer obligated to pencil in Markakis because he had Orioles tenure. We have a lot of interesting outfielders, potentially more if Dan signs Rasmus or Aoki, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Buck manages the playing time. Buck is pretty slick with role players and I think the additional flexibility is going to be good for him and the team.

I don't think Buck penciling in Markakis had anything to do with tenure, but had almost everything to do with he felt in his gut and mind that Markakis gave him the better chance to win over anyone else he could put in right field. All you have to do is read any interview or watch any interview with him to know how highly he held Nick. Tenure had nothing to do with it.

Buck is no longer obligated to pencil in Markakis because he had Orioles tenure. We have a lot of interesting outfielders, potentially more if Dan signs Rasmus or Aoki, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Buck manages the playing time. Buck is pretty slick with role players and I think the additional flexibility is going to be good for him and the team.

Buck had Nick in right field everyday because he was the best right fielder we had. And now he has a lot of players that he clearly feels were inferior to Nick. So, if by "interesting" you mean inferior, then, yes, you're correct. If you think Buck felt that starting Nick was an "obligation," then you weren't paying attention... Buck may be able to get the most of those players, but I'm not sure that any of them or any combination of them will replace Nick on this team. But I guess we'll see...

I predict we'll sign neither.

This is one of the best things about letting him go, and one of the major reasons I wanted him to leave in the first place. He was going to play every day regardless of how he played because hes one of Bucks guys, but now we don't have to worry about having a blackhole in RF and can go for the best option.

This is one of the best things about letting him go, and one of the major reasons I wanted him to leave in the first place. He was going to play every day regardless of how he played because hes one of Bucks guys, but now we don't have to worry about having a blackhole in RF and can go for the best option.

So, Lough/Pearce platoon or Alvarez and Lough off the bench late for defense?

So, Lough/Pearce platoon or Alvarez and Lough off the bench late for defense?

I feel having Pearce at RF with possible Lough defensive replacement is a better plan than playing Markakis. Steamer has Pearce at a .100 higher OPS in 2015 than Markakis and similar defense... and thats probably close to how it'll actually go.

The bit about Orioles tenure was tongue in cheek. I don't know whether Buck always played Nick out of veteran deference or because he felt he was the best option. Probably a mix of both. I don't care that much. This thread was meant to be about Buck having more flexibility going forward and what he could do with that flexibility.

Aside from being disrespectful to Buck to say that he played Markakis out of some sort of loyalty, this is nothing but a hate thread on Nick. To say that Pearce's defense in RF is the same as a gold glover is laughable.

Welcome.

Have a greenie.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

Welcome.

Have a greenie.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

Thanks I appreciate it. I have been looking for a good message board to read and interact with Oriole fans. I spent alot of time reading alot of the threads. Enjoyed reading all the messages but I have to admit I was taken by surprise with the "anti-Markakis" vibe in alot of the threads. Obviously we are gonna have to agree to disagree on Markakis as I think we should have worked something out. I think its a little outrageous to imply that Buck played Nick for reasons other than he was the best right fielder and additionally to say that Pearce is a better defender than Markakis.

Thanks I appreciate it. I have been looking for a good message board to read and interact with Oriole fans. I spent alot of time reading alot of the threads. Enjoyed reading all the messages but I have to admit I was taken by surprise with the "anti-Markakis" vibe in alot of the threads. Obviously we are gonna have to agree to disagree on Markakis as I think we should have worked something out. I think its a little outrageous to imply that Buck played Nick for reasons other than he was the best right fielder and additionally to say that Pearce is a better defender than Markakis.

Welcome to the board, but if you want to defend Markakis against accusations of defensive mediocrity, you're going to have to do better than gold gloves.

Archived