Brady Anderson's role

Frobby

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Every year there are teams that are projected to have losing records that have winning records, and vice versa.  

And PECOTA, which we have outperformed at least slightly for 7 straight years, has us around 77 or 78 wins... which is a losing record, but not by much.

It's been a long time where we've had a season where so many people have had such low expectations.   Kind of like 2012.

Some projections for last year:   Yankees 80 wins, Mets 89, Twins 78, Giants 88, Diamondbacks 78.

Last year, PECOTA picked 11 teams to have winning records.   6 of them had winning records, 5 of them had losing records.

Last year, PECOTA picked 17 teams to have losing records.   6 of them had winning records, 11 of them had losing records.

And I'm not picking on PECOTA, it was just generally available to check.   (They predicted two teams to be .500, Pirates and Blue Jays, that's why it adds up to 28).

Too much happens crazy in this game every year for people to be considering a team doomed on the 3rd day of camp.   Seems like there's a fine line with being justifiably frustrated with the way the team is being put together, and defeatism.   The years when the team is picked to do poorly but excels, like 1977, 1989, and 2012, don't come around that often, certainly.   But when they do they become some of the most memorable, enjoyable years for fans.

Out of the three teams you mentioned only one even made the playoffs.  So yea, 1989 was a great season but the team wasn't a world series contender.  They took advantage of a weak east to make a nice run that fell short. 

I don't think any amount of luck will turn this into a team that makes it to the world series.

And this isn't me being frustrated, it is just seeing that they have and what the rest of the AL has.  This team at it's best doesn't match up with the Yankees, Astros or Indians.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bobmc said:

I even remember a time when you were so upset that you were going to "take a break" from the OH and not contribute for a while.  Am I mis-remembering?  But I digress - I am excited to see these young studs in spring training.  Cortes, Mesa and our new big man Andrew w/o the beard are unknowns except to the stat gurus.  We know that Buck hasn't conceded so I'm good so far.

Me?   Never.

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Out of the three teams you mentioned only one even made the playoffs.  So yea, 1989 was a great season but the team wasn't a world series contender.  They took advantage of a weak east to make a nice run that fell short. 

I don't think any amount of luck will turn this into a team that makes it to the world series.

And this isn't me being frustrated, it is just seeing that they have and what the rest of the AL has.  This team at it's best doesn't match up with the Yankees, Astros or Indians.

You're very likely right

But I'm still tired of reading flat declarations that this team is awful dozens of times daily for months when there hasn't been a pitch thrown in anger yet.   I still think there's enough variance in this game that makes the season interesting.

So every once in a while, when someone declares that the Orioles "are losers" (rather than just saying the outlook isn't good for the season), I'm going to respond.   Just as I have to read all the constant negative posts that are based on nothing but predictions, others will have to read and put up with my occasional posts saying that the game is unpredictable and a lot could happen.

Just now, SteveA said:

You're very likely right

But I'm still tired of reading flat declarations that this team is awful dozens of times daily for months when there hasn't been a pitch thrown in anger yet.   I still think there's enough variance in this game that makes the season interesting.

So every once in a while, when someone declares that the Orioles "are losers" (rather than just saying the outlook isn't good for the season), I'm going to respond.   Just as I have to read all the constant negative posts that are based on nothing but predictions, others will have to read and put up with my occasional posts saying that the game is unpredictable and a lot could happen.

Well that I don't do.

Losers has a negative connotation to it that I would prefer not to invoke.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Every year there are teams that are projected to have losing records that have winning records, and vice versa.  

And PECOTA, which we have outperformed at least slightly for 7 straight years, has us around 77 or 78 wins... which is a losing record, but not by much.

It's been a long time where we've had a season where so many people have had such low expectations.   Kind of like 2012.

Some projections for last year:   Yankees 80 wins, Mets 89, Twins 78, Giants 88, Diamondbacks 78.

Last year, PECOTA picked 11 teams to have winning records.   6 of them had winning records, 5 of them had losing records.

Last year, PECOTA picked 17 teams to have losing records.   6 of them had winning records, 11 of them had losing records.

And I'm not picking on PECOTA, it was just generally available to check.   (They predicted two teams to be .500, Pirates and Blue Jays, that's why it adds up to 28).

Too much happens crazy in this game every year for people to be considering a team doomed on the 3rd day of camp.   Seems like there's a fine line with being justifiably frustrated with the way the team is being put together, and defeatism.   The years when the team is picked to do poorly but excels, like 1977, 1989, and 2012, don't come around that often, certainly.   But when they do they become some of the most memorable, enjoyable years for fans.

I really don't think most people are knocking the team (we'll all still root for them), but the front office. Yes, anything can happen during the season, but you also have to stack the odds in your favor by making moves to improve your team. None of us were expecting them to trade for a Stanton type or sign a JD Martinez type, but they've really done nothing, via trade or  through free agency to improve the team. Cashner is just an arm to fill a spot in the rotation; he isn't a difference maker. Add to that the way they bumbled the Machado situation and I think frustration and even a bit of angst are natural and expected reactions. The teams apparent lack of long term plan also compounds the issue.  

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well that I don't do.

Losers has a negative connotation to it that I would prefer not to invoke.

They had a losing record again That's all. They were not winners like the last five seasons. Tie goes to the winners. 

Archived