MASN: Steve Meleswski with Brian Graham - We are absolutely one of the premier development systems

weams

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think DD has put in place the best minor coaches and instructors that this organization has seen in a long time, but it will take a while to see the results.

I agree with Graham that the Os have drafted well under the new FO as well. Harvey, Cisco and several others have shown themselves to be significantly better than their draft position and we could be gloating about the system also having a first, second and supplemental first to gloat about if not traded or forfeited by DD.

I will say, however, that I believe several prospects/players who have been traded by the organization have proven themselves to be far better than what our organization believed when trading those guys - specifically, Jake, Hader and EdRod. Perhaps our FO knew they were paying a steep price, but each of these players produced significantly better results for their new team immediately after leaving our organization.

End of day, I think our FO under DD has put together a better scouting and developing network than has existed here for some time, but it will take a while for this to produce major league players (since they were recently hired and since we have traded/forfeited so many assets).

I thought it was the Pirates. And did not Bautista develop at the MLB level? We already ruled out Adam for that.

Yeah, if the Blue Jays developed Jose Bautista then the Orioles developed Adam Jones and Chris Davis. Jose Bautista had more than 1500 MLB plate appearances when he came to the Blue Jays.

I think DD has put in place the best minor coaches and instructors that this organization has seen in a long time, but it will take a while to see the results.

I agree with Graham that the Os have drafted well under the new FO as well. Harvey, Cisco and several others have shown themselves to be significantly better than their draft position and we could be gloating about the system also having a first, second and supplemental first to gloat about if not traded or forfeited by DD.

I will say, however, that I believe several prospects/players who have been traded by the organization have proven themselves to be far better than what our organization believed when trading those guys - specifically, Jake, Hader and EdRod. Perhaps our FO knew they were paying a steep price, but each of these players produced significantly better results for their new team immediately after leaving our organization.

End of day, I think our FO under DD has put together a better scouting and developing network than has existed here for some time, but it will take a while for this to produce major league players (since they were recently hired and since we have traded/forfeited so many assets).

Well, as Graham sees it, the system effectively did produce major league players such as KRod, Thome, Feldman, Norris, Miller and Snider, none of whom would have been here if we hadn't done a good job of developing minor league assets. But most of them were rentals.

Well, as Graham sees it, the system effectively did produce major league players such as KRod, Thome, Feldman, Norris, Miller and Snider, none of whom would have been here if we hadn't done a good job of developing minor league assets. But most of them were rentals.

His point is relevant. And a rental is ok if you need what they bring at the time.

I would give us an A for pitching in recent years (Gausman, Britton, Miguel, Chen, Hunter, etc. with the potential of Bundy, Harvey, and others; arguably you can count Tillman and O'Day, although they were really developed elsewhere). I really like what the organization is doing with time-to-the-plate. Huge difference for Tillman, so maybe he does count.

We didn't develop Miguel, Chen, or Hunter.

Markakis, Wieters, Gausman, Machado, Matusz were all drafted #7 overall and above. Im sorry. Really, I wish our system was better and I hope it will be someday. But, I see Graham's comments as hype.

Totally. Give me picks in the top 7 each year and I'll turn out a few players too.

Um, sorry. No.

Well, that's good enough for me.

And seriously, again, talking about what the O's system has done in a vacuum is pointless (which is basically all the article does). I made an omelette for breakfast today, and I think it turned out pretty well. Does that make me a good cook? Should I go pro? Or is it worth investigating how well other people perform the same feat before concluding that I'm actually good in the kitchen?

Talking about what the O's have done without comparing their accomplishments to those of the rest of MLB over the same period doesn't accomplish anything. And from what HAS been added to this discussion in that regard, it seems like the O's continue to fall short. Graham's protestations notwithstanding.

I made an omelette for breakfast today, and I think it turned out pretty well. Does that make me a good cook? Should I go pro? Or is it worth investigating how well other people perform the same feat before concluding that I'm actually good in the kitchen?
It means that you are able to do the thing that you wanted done. For no additional money spent. If you were to spend money, You would want to spend it on something other than someone to come in and make you an omelette. Because to you, you are pretty good at that. Maybe you would want to spend your money on something more useful - Like snow tires.

It means that you are able to do the thing that you wanted done. For no additional money spent. If you were to spend money, You would want to spend it on something other than someone to come in and make you an omelette. Because to you, you are pretty good at that. Maybe you would want to spend your money on something more useful - Like snow tires.

Once again, my foresight is lacking. Sure is pretty outside, at least.

Of course, we could torture the metaphor to death by pointing out that my sense of self-satisfaction doesn't actually mean that I bought the best or most cost effective ingredients, that I combined them in the best possible way to meet my goals for taste, consistency, etc., or that ordering in wouldn't have ultimately been a better use of resources (e.g., by allowing me to reallocate the prep time to more important concerns). Thinking that I've done an OK job, in this context, is inherently myopic, biased, and quite possibly self-deceiving.

Thinking that I've done an OK job, in this context, is inherently myopic, biased, and quite possibly self-deceiving.

I think you are too tough on yourself. An Omelette is pretty good if you don't burn it, or leave it too runny. Spend your money on something delicious then. Like a reliever going down the stretch. Or a nice power bat off the bench. We will always have fond memories of Jim Thome and Andrew Miller. They are always there if you have the money. Unlike the Blue Jays.

Archived