MASN: Steve Meleswski with Brian Graham - We are absolutely one of the premier development systems

weams

I agree with your first statement. I have no issue with latin players. I believe that 70 percent of PED ERA players were involved in performance enhancement. Therefore I do not compare their numbers with non PED ERA players. I Do also give the Yankee/Toronto swipe at any PED ERA players that attended. Universally.

I guess you have to remove Brian Roberts from the O's list if PED's count.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree with this. Graham points out Machado, Wieters, Matusz as evidence of how productive our system is. You could actually look at it like, we didn't do a good job developing Matusz (#4 overall pick) or Wieters (#4 overall pick). Those guys are contributors, but people, including myself were hoping for "superstar." Jury is still out on Machado, who I hope will be a "star."

I think Manny is already a star - literally an All-Star. And he's VERY young!

As for the idea that we draft well, I disagree. It's hard to TOTALLY screw up with a #4 pick. I could read Baseball America and probably do pretty well that way. Certainly, we would not have Hobgood in our system right now had I been drafting that day.

The ballgame is development. And we have not been stellar in that department, either, IMO. Perhaps we've been okay. But I would credit DD for most of our success in finding reclamation projects ready to contribute, etc.

Exactly. I also forgot Mo Vaughn. Make all the fat jokes you want but in his prime that big guy could rake. When have the O's developed a dominant hitter like that?

Wikipedia

It was revealed on December 13, 2007 in the report by Senator George J. Mitchell that Vaughn had purchased steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs from Kirk Radomski, who said he delivered the drugs to him personally. Radomski produced three checks, one for $2,200 and two more for $3,200, from Vaughn, one of the latter dated June 1, 2001, and another dated June 19, 2001. Radomski said that the higher checks were for two kits of HGH, while the lower one was for one and a half kits. Vaughn's name, address and telephone number were listed in an address book seized from Radomski's house by federal agents. Vaughn's trainer instructed him to take HGH in attempt to recover from injury.

Mitchell requested a meeting with Vaughn in order to provide Vaughn with the information about these allegations and to give him an opportunity to respond, but Vaughn never agreed to set a meeting.

Reading the comments, it seems some people want to hold the current regime responsible for past administrations, which isn't fair. Graham is talking about the current organization, not things that happened 10 years ago and more. I think he's not objective, as I said earlier in the thread, but I do think we have very good development personnel and are using a lot of good teaching tools. My impression is we are teaching defense extremely well and sending a pretty consistent set of messages throughout the system.

Exactly. I also forgot Mo Vaughn. Make all the fat jokes you want but in his prime that big guy could rake. When have the O's developed a dominant hitter like that?

Brian Roberts was as valuable a player as Mo Vaughn and had a better peak season. Nick Markakis will likely end his career having been more valuable than Vaughn with a more valuable peak season.

Archived