MASN: Steve Meleswski with Brian Graham - We are absolutely one of the premier development systems

weams

Does anyone really feel that Jake Arrieta had any more time left on his Orioles clock? On a team that was trying to compete and where wins actually meant something? I understand the other criticisms. But seriously. Jake is why we did not make the playoffs in 2013.

I'm not wholly disagreeing, but isn't it a little weird to tout yourself as one of the top developmental systems in the game and have a near-finished product switch organizations and figure things out in like half a year after continually struggling on your watch?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the anecdotal evidence you pointed to is certainly encouraging. I think the original article is a fluff piece, which is fine. I also think the Orioles are lining themselves up closer to the Astros' "We love our process; this is going great" school of public relations as opposed to the Cubs' "It's great to have folks call you the best system in the game but we all know we haven't won anything yet and all that matters is what we ultimately produce at the major league level" talking point.

Actions speak louder than words!

Overall Pick Player

19 Matt Barnes

26 Blake Swihart

36 Henry Owens

40 Jackie Bradley Jr.

172 Mookie Betts

Probably more talent drafted/developed than the Orioles have had in the past 5 years

2009 - 2014

I guess if Grahm thinks the O's are premier the Red Sox must be super duper premier

I'm not wholly disagreeing, but isn't it a little weird to tout yourself as one of the top developmental systems in the game and have a near-finished product switch organizations and figure things out in like half a year after continually struggling on your watch?

That seems a little more like a failing at the major league level than the minor league level, though it's hard to say. I wish we could have let Wallace and Chiti have a shot at Jake. Adair certainly didn't help him.

The way EdRod turned his season around after leaving our system also bothered me. But it's always hard to know when there is cause and effect, and when it's just a matter of timing. Mike Wright had a total turnaround the last month of the MiL season too, and he didn't go anywhere.

Overall Pick Player

19 Matt Barnes

26 Blake Swihart

36 Henry Owens

40 Jackie Bradley Jr.

172 Mookie Betts

Probably more talent drafted/developed than the Orioles have had in the past 5 years

2009 - 2014

I guess if Grahm thinks the O's are premier the Red Sox must be super duper premier

How did they end up getting those picks? I think our first one last season was around 100?

Overall Pick Player

19 Matt Barnes

26 Blake Swihart

36 Henry Owens

40 Jackie Bradley Jr.

172 Mookie Betts

2009 - 2014

Is Barnes the equivalent of any Orioles prospect? Is Bradley the equivalent of anyone we have had?

How did they end up getting those picks? I think our first one last season was around 100?

Yeah, that's a bad example. Four top 40 picks in one of the most stacked draft classes in recent memory. That said, they seem to have done pretty well with those guys -- compare to what Tampa did with their glut of picks that same year.

Overall Pick Player

19 Matt Barnes

26 Blake Swihart

36 Henry Owens

40 Jackie Bradley Jr.

172 Mookie Betts

2009 - 2014

Let's talk about it when these five guys actually are solid major league players. Jackie Bradley has a glove, but has yet to show he can hit well enough to stick in the majors. It certainly seems that the Red Sox aren't banking on him.

I do think Mookie Betts looks like he'll be a good player.

I think that Jake has made an amazing turn around. And maybe because he became a cast off, no longer pampered, no longer opening day pitching guy on a team where wins and losses were not significant. But you are right. We should not be proud of what he was on our watch with our former organization.

Overall Pick Player

19 Matt Barnes

26 Blake Swihart

36 Henry Owens

40 Jackie Bradley Jr.

172 Mookie Betts

2009 - 2014

Wait, are you saying that in that draft alone the Sox have drafted/developed more than the entirety of O's drafts 2009 - 2014...? Well, that's just beyond absurd...

Yeah, that's a bad example. Four top 40 picks in one of the most stacked draft classes in recent memory. That said, they seem to have done pretty well with those guys -- compare to what Tampa did with their glut of picks that same year.

I am always sad that the Red Sox are in another income world from our little blue collar city. And Tampa's for that matter.

Wait, are you saying that in that draft alone the Sox have drafted/developed more than the entirety of O's drafts 2009 - 2014...? Well, that's just beyond absurd...

Bundy, Gausman, Sisco, Harvey, and Walker are all very nice prospects. One of which is already a very good MLB pitcher.

I think that Jake has made an amazing turn around. And maybe because he became a cast off, no longer pampered, no longer opening day pitching guy on a team where wins and losses were not significant. But you are right. We should not be proud of what he was on our watch with our former organization.

Buck became manager July 2010. Duquette took over in November 2011. Arrieta was traded to the Cubs in July of 2013. The Cubs targeted him for specific reasons, identifying flaws they believed they could fix. To lay Jake's struggles at the feet of the former regime is pretty bad, weamsie.

But let's also not pretend that one great year from Arrieta means he is now a certifiable stud. It takes a lot to be a consistent MLB performer.

Archived