Bud Norris's Spring Training

Nevermore

Bud has been struggling throughout ST I read that he has some back stiffness -- would that be affecting his pitching? Or is it that he's more-or-less guaranteed a rotation spot and he's working on some specific pitches? Or is he possibly a candidate for the 6th starter position?

ST is a very small sample size compared to a full season. I suspect that it's a combination of his working on specific pitches and some possible back stiffness. What do others think?

Bud had this to say about today's efforts:

"I wanted to see a little bit better results today," said Norris, who has pitched to a 9.26 spring ERA in 11 2/3 innings. "I was kinda upset with myself, 3-2 walk and 3-0 fastball that [Adams] hit over the fence. I'm not necessarily happy with that. But [pitching coach Dave Wallace] came out shortly thereafter and said, 'You look fine mechanically, the competitive nature is going to come.' That's what we were talking about on the bench.

"Obviously getting home and pitching in front of the fans in Baltimore is going to be great, but it's a big league game for a reason. I'm going to get there. I'm not that worried. I just want to get there."

Hard to speculate without seeing him pitch. In the end you have to execute good pitches. Norris's margin for error against LHB's isn't all that great. I thought he helped himself last year with the "cutter" and changeup earlier in the year. I assume he will be fine but will probably drop off some from last year.

Buck's comments today were pretty harsh. I think he is concerned.

"Not as good as it needs to be, not as good as it's going to be," Showalter said. "Like to have him go another inning, but the pitch count and the other team wouldn't let him. Lot of deep counts lends to lack of crispness.

"I just don't think he's real confident throwing the ball. Didn't seem real confident challenging the strike zone with his stuff. It's normal. We have a couple more weeks, he'll get the ball a couple more times. Feel confident he'll make some strides and be ready."

I was hoping we would trade Bud this offseason. Nothing against Bud, I just don't expect him to match his numbers from last year based on his career norms. Now I am afraid we lost that opportunity. Hope he gets better and returns to form. If indeed there is something bothering him, a lengthy stay on the DL could buy us some time with Garcia and Verrett.

Buck's comments today were pretty harsh. I think he is concerned.

"Not as good as it needs to be, not as good as it's going to be," Showalter said. "Like to have him go another inning, but the pitch count and the other team wouldn't let him. Lot of deep counts lends to lack of crispness.

"I just don't think he's real confident throwing the ball. Didn't seem real confident challenging the strike zone with his stuff. It's normal. We have a couple more weeks, he'll get the ball a couple more times. Feel confident he'll make some strides and be ready."

I was hoping we would trade Bud this offseason. Nothing against Bud, I just don't expect him to match his numbers from last year based on his career norms. Now I am afraid we lost that opportunity. Hope he gets better and returns to form. If indeed there is something bothering him, a lengthy stay on the DL could buy us some time with Garcia and Verrett.

Sounds confident in the end product to me.

If Norris has back stiffness playing in the cold of Baltimore and Boston in April is not the cure. Bud has two starts to show he is completely healthy. If he doesn't a DL stay made be in order.

Finding a reason for one of the starters to get some DL time early actually helps the roster juggling act. If Bud has any 'stiffness' in his back come April, let him stay in Sarasota until May.

Archived