Sun-Times says O's want Cedeno, Gallagher, and 2 more prospects

Bigbie03

Also, can someone please enlighten me on the infatuation with Gallagher? I know it is a small sample size, but his ML numbers are frightful.

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO

2007 0 0 8.59 8 0 0 0 1 1 14.2 19 15 14 3 12 5

Career 0 0 8.59 8 0 0 0 1 1 14.2 19 15 14 3 12 5

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=451595

8 games, 14.2 IP. Small sample indeed, so nothing to make a big deal out of.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on 28 innings you can't judge on that.Here is his minor league numbers 36-15 era 2.75 and he has 452 stikeouts in 452 innings a k per inning is preety good and he is still only 22.He has moved up every year he has been in the minors.

Ok, thanks. That's the type of info I was looking for.

Granted, but does it qualify for the centerpiece in a trade for an allstar?

That's my problem with the rumored trade ideas: I don't see any main guy. All I see is some guys who the Cubbies don't care about that much. Now, it doesn't really matter how much the Cubs want them. What matters is whether they make the O's better. The guys that are being talked about looks like iffy spare parts to me. I think some of them would be perfectly fine as the 2nd or 3rd or 4th guys in the trade. It's the #1 guy who seems to be missing.

That's my problem with the rumored trade ideas: I don't see any main guy. All I see is some guys who the Cubbies don't care about that much. Now, it doesn't really matter how much the Cubs want them. What matters is whether they make the O's better. The guys that are being talked about looks like iffy spare parts to me. I think some of them would be perfectly fine as the 2nd or 3rd or 4th guys in the trade. It's the #1 guy who seems to be missing.

So, you're saying a Patterson or Pie in place of one of the others would would be more fair. I think so as well even if it were two less guys.

Okay.. Now I am a Cubs fan as some of you may know, but i am also a baseball guy and a FAIR guy when it comes to discussing other teams.

I know you guys really do value roberts, and RIGHTFULLY so. The guy is one heck of a second basemen and leadoff guy.

But seriously, trying to get 5 players, including 2 of our best arms and OUR STARTING CATCHER or up-and-coming #3 pitcher is borderline ridiculous. Soto was just the AAA MVP, and came up and hit .380 at the end of the year. Plus, he had our only postseason homerun. Rich Hill is considered one of the best young lefties in all of baseball, and seemingly is getting stronger and more acclimated with each performance.

You guys are CLEARLY in a rebuilding mode, which puts you in a position to basically "audition" numerous young players. This means that you are in a great position becuase you get to evaluate a lot of unknown young talent. Therefore, you are quite likely to see a deal that involves basically all minor leaguers/ guys with a BRIEF bit of MLB experience.

So why in God's name would we give up our starting catcher and basically ONLY catching prospect along with 2 SOLID young arms, a leftfielder who can start on a good amount of teams, and a decent (depending) young shortstop?

I have said NUMEROUS times that a deal consisting of Veal, Cedeno, Murton, and Colvin would be acceptable and most likely not even a second thought to Hendry. The guys you are trying to put in this deal WILL NOT even be discussed in these talks. This whole "5 for 1" thing would basically give you guys more than you got for Bedard, and more than the Twins got for Santana.. Which are UNDOUBTEDLY 2 guys who have more trade value than Roberts.

As I have said- I'm a fair guy and basically a baseballaholic. I understand that you want a good return for B-Rob, and rightfully so. But SERIOUSLY, you are staring to value him like he is Jimmy Rollins or something. The fact is that due to the fact that EVERYONE knows you are starting over and in rebuilding mode means that keeping him around would only be detrimental to the process.. He is a still a valuable trade commodity and will likely be unhappy staying on probably a 65-70 win team. A trade for good young prospects will serve you well.. But he is NOT valued as high as you all are beginning to think. That's all I have to say- I hope you don't take any of this as being rude or insulting. I REALLY like this board and consider you all to be class acts- kind of refreshing actually compared to most other boards.

So Veal, Colvin, Murton, and Gallagher for B-Rob. Lets get it done!

And please throw Jay Payton under a bus so Chicago doesn't have to. :D

Why not just Pie & Gallagher? You have to give up a little something to get a little something. Win-win. No one really wants Murton or Cedeno very much. You can't trade your trash or reserves or failed prospects and get a star. If you guys like Cedeno so much, keep him and play him at 2nd. If Murton is so good, start him in left and move Soriano to center.

You have to give up something to get something. Keep your 4 for 1 deals. 2 for 1 will work fine.

So, you're saying a Patterson or Pie in place of one of the others would would be more fair. I think so as well even if it were two less guys.

I'm not sure why everybody thinks Patterson is such great shakes. I don't know much about him, but from what people say, I think he's maybe a good non-power bat who has no position to play. The places you might play him are places where you want a good glove. I don't want an iffy fielder at 2B, and I don't think the O's do either. If we get Patterson, then I think he belongs at Norfolk so we can find out if he can get turned into a good 2B. I think maybe he's a great athlete who's not a very good ballplayer, just like CPat. I'd much rather give Cedeno a shot at 2B, just to see if he can hit like he did at Iowa (twice), and to see if playing 2B instead of SS could buy him enough time to quit making bad throws. Everything else about him in the field seems fine. If they do a trade, I'd want to see Cedeno in it as one of the spare-change guys. This would be a great year to find out about the guy.

I'd be happy if they got Pie. I think it'd be great to give DT a threesome of Jones, Scott and Pie for the 2 OF spots and tell him to sort it out. I think Pie, the pitcher, and Cedeno would be fine, and I don't think it's all that terrible for the Cubs either, given their situation. If they want Payton, all the better.

Now, that's just what I think, that's all. I know all the counter-arguments from Cubs fans, I've seen them repeated here a million times, I don't need another onslaught of Cubs fans explaining how BRob ain't worth much, how the Cubs don't need him, and how we should be happy to take their iffy spare parts for BRob. I am well aware that Pie hit at Iowa about as good as Cedeno did (twice), at least in his 2nd year there anyway. They don't seem to want Cedeno, even though he hit like crazy in AAA (twice). If Pie is such a sure thing, how come 2 years at AAA isn't enough? How come he's not penciled into CF?

I'm thinking one guy I might really want the O's to get is the hitting coach at Iowa. I'm not kidding either. Can you get a MiL coach in a trade?

Its my opinion that we shouldn't trade with the Cubs unless Pie is involved, unless they give us something like a 5 or 6-1 deal. Yes Gallagher is nice, but I think we have a pretty good amount of pitching at this point. And no one else rumored to be in the deal is close to sure fire.

You could never have enough pitching.Hendry will budge on Colvin but Pie is the Cubs Cf Lou preety much has said that.I don't believe AM is looking for another OF rebuilding starts with young arms the more the better because in 2 years when the Orioles are ready to compete he will have alot of trade chips in his pocket.In my opinion Am is doing a good job for the Orioles just like he did with the Twins.

You could never have enough pitching.Hendry will budge on Colvin but Pie is the Cubs Cf Lou preety much has said that.I don't believe AM is looking for another OF rebuilding starts with young arms the more the better because in 2 years when the Orioles are ready to compete he will have alot of trade chips in his pocket.In my opinion Am is doing a good job for the Orioles just like he did with the Twins.

If Colvin were included with Gallagher and Cedeno, I would have expected this to be done by now. Either that is good enough or we get a fringe top 20 prospect and we're done, IMO.

If Colvin were included with Gallagher and Cedeno, I would have expected this to be done by now. Either that is good enough or we get a fringe top 20 prospect and we're done, IMO.

That is a trade I would personally hate. I like Gallagher, a close to MLB ready starter with solid, not great upside. And Cedeno is a nice 3rd/4th piece as an infielder with gaudy minor league numbers, but who has struggled at the MLB level and can play both SS and 2b.

But then you add in Colvin, who has no plate discipline to go along with a sub-par contact rate and moderate power. His BB:K rate at each level he has played has been 1:3, 1:4.5, and 1:10. His BABIPs haven't been at a level that display an ability to hit for a high average.

He is a good athlete, which helps him, but there are doubts about whether he can stay in CF. He should not be the final piece to a Gallagher and Cedeno deal.

The deal should be Gallagher, Cedeno, Murton, and hopefully Veal or Ceda, though Colvin and Patterson could be included instead. Or the first three and two solid prospects (basically compromising the better 4th player for two lesser talented players). But we should stay away from Colvin as a key piece to any deal for Roberts.

Why not just Pie & Gallagher? You have to give up a little something to get a little something. Win-win. No one really wants Murton or Cedeno very much. You can't trade your trash or reserves or failed prospects and get a star. If you guys like Cedeno so much, keep him and play him at 2nd. If Murton is so good, start him in left and move Soriano to center.

You have to give up something to get something. Keep your 4 for 1 deals. 2 for 1 will work fine.

You obviously do not know that the Cubs tried that in spring training last year. It did not work, not because of Murton, but because Soriano did not make the adjustment well.

But then you add in Colvin, who has no plate discipline to go along with a sub-par contact rate and moderate power. His BB:K rate at each level he has played has been 1:3, 1:4.5, and 1:10. His BABIPs haven't been at a level that display an ability to hit for a high average.

He is a good athlete, which helps him, but there are doubts about whether he can stay in CF. He should not be the final piece to a Gallagher and Cedeno deal.

The deal should be Gallagher, Cedeno, Murton, and hopefully Veal or Ceda, though Colvin and Patterson could be included instead. Or the first three and two solid prospects (basically compromising the better 4th player for two lesser talented players). But we should stay away from Colvin as a key piece to any deal for Roberts.

How do you differentiate no plate discipline from sub-par contact rate from his stats?

How big a problem do you have with a 21 year-old guy that hit 16 dingers in less than 500 AB's?

Archived