Sun-Times says O's want Cedeno, Gallagher, and 2 more prospects

Bigbie03

Not to add more fuel to the fire, but why do the Cubs need to have someone watching Roberts? Don't they know who he is and what he can do? Are we sure the deal might not be bigger then thought? Maybe he was scouting another player on the O's. IMO the deal will be made for Roberts, but I find it curious that the Cubs needed two scouts at the Orioles game just to look at Roberts.

FWIW, as a Cubs fan I would do either deal I have been hearing lately. Either Gallagher, Cedeno and Patterson for Roberts or Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal and Fontenot for Roberts would get the deal done, IMO. If the Orioles wanted to throw in Payton as well, I would take him. But I wouldn't give up another ballplayer. Taking on his salary is enough of an advantage to the O's. No need to add a player.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not immediately clear what your point is, however what is certain is that Hendry has been prepared to trade for Roberts, sight unseen, since the first week of December in Nashville.

It's not as though the Cubs are playing some wait-and-see game here involving letting their scouts check out Brian Roberts in ST games to make sure he makes the grade. The Cubs never wanted things to drag out this long in the first place.

So your notion that Ken Kravec's whereabouts shed any sort of light on anything at all is pretty farfetched. As was said back in post #251, the Cubs have scouts here and there around Arizona and Florida, looking at any number of teams and players.

I don't think it is far fetched at all. They were there looking at Roberts. My point was that the trade was very much still alive. This proves my point. Every team has scouts that go around and look at talent. The Orioles are doing the same thing. It is not that the Cubs have this advanced idea to send their scouts all over to get info, everyone does it.

The poster I was talking to said that the trade was done, it wasn't going to happen. But I find it funny that you guys just happened to have scouts at our first game, as well as us throwing a bunch of scouts towards your minor league camp as well.

Seems like the trade is far from dead to me. And that was my point.

Not to add more fuel to the fire, but why do the Cubs need to have someone watching Roberts? Don't they know who he is and what he can do? Are we sure the deal might not be bigger then thought? Maybe he was scouting another player on the O's. IMO the deal will be made for Roberts, but I find it curious that the Cubs needed two scouts at the Orioles game just to look at Roberts.

FWIW, as a Cubs fan I would do either deal I have been hearing lately. Either Gallagher, Cedeno and Patterson for Roberts or Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal and Fontenot for Roberts would get the deal done, IMO. If the Orioles wanted to throw in Payton as well, I would take him. But I wouldn't give up another ballplayer. Taking on his salary is enough of an advantage to the O's. No need to add a player.

Why wouldn't they look at the guy they are looking to trade for if it is available to them?

Are you kidding? Do you think that the Cubs are sitting around saying "Nah, we don't have to go take a look at Roberts, we know what kinda shape he is in this year, and since we saw him last year, we know what we would be getting"... That is foolish.

I am not saying the Cubs are scouting him because they need to gather all of this information on him because this is a new development in the trade.

If you were buying a car and you knew which kinda car you were going to get, wouldn't you still want to test drive it? I know I would.

It is called doing your homework.

I don't think this scouting session would be some epiphany to your front office. They know what they would be getting with Roberts, but they want to make sure it is what they remembered from last year too.

That's called trade negotiations and has nothing to do with "hating." Does Roberts have microscopic value since no one has accepted what you want for him?

Dude, they're trying to trade him for mediocre players, and they're getting turned down. Shine it up any way you want, but that's not exactly showing that major league teams have much respect for his ability, and it speaks volumes about his lack of trade value.

Are you kidding? Do you think that the Cubs are sitting around saying "Nah, we don't have to go take a look at Roberts, we know what kinda shape he is in this year, and since we saw him last year, we know what we would be getting"... That is foolish.

That's exactly what I think.

Look everyone and their brother knows the Cubs wanted this thing done weeks ago, if not months ago, so obviously they were completely comfortable with the approach you just described. Thus scouting Roberts is a totally unnecessary part of the process.

You can go on thinking that having Cubs folks at your ballgame is significant, but that doesn't make it so.

That's exactly what I think.

Look everyone and their brother knows the Cubs wanted this thing done weeks ago, if not months ago, so obviously they were completely comfortable with the approach you just described. Thus scouting Roberts is a totally unnecessary part of the process.

You can go on thinking that having Cubs folks at your ballgame is significant, but that doesn't make it so.

That doesn't make it so in your opinion. And I will hold mine.

It would be foolish for them to not show up. Before when they wanted it done they didn't have the opportunity.

Now that they do have the opportunity, why pass it up?

Besides, how does anyone know if the Cubs may be considering expanding the deal some for Relief Pitching or adding other parts. Why not scout all you can, espically in live action.

I still think this deal will get done, without Murton unless the O's are planning on flipping him elsewhere. The truel telling part will be when the o's scouts hit the Cubs MILB ST....

That doesn't make it so in your opinion. And I will hold mine.

It would be foolish for them to not show up. Before when they wanted it done they didn't have the opportunity.

Now that they do have the opportunity, why pass it up?

If you are looking now you are doing it to see if there is something to disuade you from continuing on. That would be the likeliest reason to look at him.

I am not saying that they found that, probably to the contrary.

But they are going there to look proactively at other players, whether it be the O's or the Marlins and then confirming that BRob is still the same player.

If you are looking now you are doing it to see if there is something to disuade you from continuing on. That would be the likeliest reason to look at him.

I am not saying that they found that, probably to the contrary.

But they are going there to look proactively at other players, whether it be the O's or the Marlins and then confirming that BRob is still the same player.

But that is what I am saying. I am not saying they are scoping him out like he is some new player they have never heard about.

I was just saying that the opportunity is there to get a look at him first hand a the start of the year, why not do it?

I was just proving the point that the trade talks are still very much alive, despite what another poster said about them being all but dead.

My statement got nitpiked to no end and that is why we are still talking about this.

I unfortunately think the Cubs deal is going to get done. You guys speak of value, but I wouldn't take anything less than Gallagher, Murton (heart trouble and all Id take him over a healthy Cedeno), Veal, and Pie. I hope McPhail isn't looking to unload him for less.
I think they'd have to add in Rich Hill and Geovanny Soto or the deal wouldn't be fair.

Archived