Ongoing Lineup Thread (2015)

OFFNY

Looks like I have to apologize! Roch just posted this. What does this say about Buck's confidence in Paredes at 2B? That is embarrassing. This is very un Buck like. This is really a stupid move. But it looks like the lineup is not a mistake. Wow!

Weird day for everyone, including Rey Navarro.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" style="border: none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;" title="Twitter Timeline" height="204"></iframe>

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He has 1 minor league game under his belt in 2011 at SS in AAA.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pearce said he was asked about playing 2B before Wednesday's workout. Has been working with IF coach Bobby Dickerson since. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="https://twitter.com/EddieInTheYard/status/594231948324765697">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ty Wiggington.

It tells me that Buck thinks Paredes is awful at 2B and that Navarro might be nicked up. Maybe they are both nicked up. Again, on the surface this makes little sense.

I agree, backup plan for 2nd, according to Buck last week when Flash was hurt.

Davis to 3rd, Manny to SS and Cabrera to 2nd.

I like the idea of trying Pearce out at second, personally. It's pretty well-documented that Paredes is probably the worst defensive player we've had on our team the past couple years, and Pearce was really unusually sharp defensively wherever we put him last year. I don't think it's a a total reach to think that Pearce could be a stronger defensive player than Paredes even with the major difference in experience there. Everything suggests that Paredes never really figured defense out, but his bat is hot enough where you can't really take him out of the lineup.

I guess the worst case scenario is that Pearce makes so many errors that we lose the game, but I'd be rather surprised to see that happen. He's been a pretty solid defensive player for us, and probably unlikely to have some sort of defensive meltdown. The best case scenario is that you suddenly get a ton more roster flexibility and a real appealing super-utility guy if he turns out to be rather good at second. The more likely thing to have happen is that this is just a one game experiment that doesn't go anywhere, but I don't really see the harm in giving it a shot. Might be that Pearce is capable of contributing more than we're giving him credit for. He has done that before.

I like the idea of trying Pearce out at second, personally. It's pretty well-documented that Paredes is probably the worst defensive player we've had on our team the past couple years, and Pearce was really unusually sharp defensively wherever we put him last year. I don't think it's a a total reach to think that Pearce could be a stronger defensive player than Paredes even with the major difference in experience there. Everything suggests that Paredes never really figured defense out, but his bat is hot enough where you can't really take him out of the lineup.

I guess the worst case scenario is that Pearce makes so many errors that we lose the game, but I'd be rather surprised to see that happen. He's been a pretty solid defensive player for us, and probably unlikely to have some sort of defensive meltdown. The best case scenario is that you suddenly get a ton more roster flexibility and a real appealing super-utility guy if he turns out to be rather good at second. The more likely thing to have happen is that this is just a one game experiment that doesn't go anywhere, but I don't really see the harm in giving it a shot. Might be that Pearce is capable of contributing more than we're giving him credit for. He has done that before.

I think the worst case scenario is that Pearce and Delmon collide in short right field chasing a bloop.

I agree with this entire post.

For those so worried about this, I ask you....Manny has made 5 errors the past 8 games at third; should we bench him? Is he a liability? I can't imagine Pearce will make 5 errors if he started 8 straight games at second.

That said, second base can be dangerous when turning the double play. I am concerned about a leg injury for Pearce if he doesn't have quick foot work to get out of the way of a sliding runner.

What does that tell us about Paredes and Navarro @ 2nd for Buck?

I think it's just a way for Buck to get Pearce some at bats while not taking out the hot hitting Young/Davis (as to Navarro).

No idea why Paredes isn't playing 2B and Pearce DHing though.

That's the logic you are going to war with? Wow!

No, I'm trying to make a point of those stating "This is the worst move Buck has ever made" maybe should relax and see how it plays out before putting the check in the loss column.

No, I'm trying to make a point of those stating "This is the worst move Buck has ever made" maybe should relax and see how it plays out before putting the check in the loss column.

It is certainly a surprising move that is ripe for questioning.

Do you think it's a good idea?

I certainly don't.

Archived