Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

Yes. Yes I am.
Andrew Miller wasn't available last night.

After pitching on Friday against the Red Sox, he was rested on Saturday, and after pitching Sunday against the Red Sox, he was rested last night. What the heck for?

I thought the goal was to keep Miller and Dellin Betances from pitching three days in a row. Now, all of a sudden, it's important to keep Andrew Miller from pitching two days in a row?

by Bernadette Pasley

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where you are going with this. You are really digging. The guy has been lights out and their bullpen has an ERA under 1 for an extended stretch here. He has been brilliant.

So yes, we get it, he was expensive but maybe it's possible he is worth it?

I wouldn't have given him that $ but he has been stellar.

Not sure where you are going with this. You are really digging. The guy has been lights out and their bullpen has an ERA under 1 for an extended stretch here. He has been brilliant.

I agree with you.

Lights out and too much $$$$.

Maybe if he could play SS or 2nd. :)

I said I missed him. I quoted myself. A Yankee Fan was trashing that he could not pitch thwo days in a row. Not me.

Andrew Miller wasn't available last night.

After pitching on Friday against the Red Sox, he was rested on Saturday, and after pitching Sunday against the Red Sox, he was rested last night. What the heck for?

I thought the goal was to keep Miller and Dellin Betances from pitching three days in a row. Now, all of a sudden, it's important to keep Andrew Miller from pitching two days in a row?

Well, I do think Palsey's question raises an issue. Yes, Miller has been stellar, but he also may have limits on his arm. He's never thrown more than 62 innings in relief, so we don't know how his arm will hold up if he's asked to go 70+. He's already thrown 13.1 innings this year, which puts him on pace for about 80 innings. That may be why Girardi backed off using him in two of the last three nights.

Just to reiterate something I wrote in another thread, the Orioles are 12-0 when leading after 7 innings, and 11-1 when leading after 6. The Yankees are 12-1 after 7 innings (having blown last night's game) and 11-1 after 6.

Well, I do think Palsey's question raises an issue. Yes, Miller has been stellar, but he also may have limits on his arm. He's never thrown more than 62 innings in relief, so we don't know how his arm will hold up if he's asked to go 70+. He's already thrown 13.1 innings this year, which puts him on pace for about 80 innings. That may be why Girardi backed off using him in two of the last three nights.

Just to reiterate something I wrote in another thread, the Orioles are 12-0 when leading after 7 innings, and 11-1 when leading after 6. The Yankees are 12-1 after 7 innings (having blown last night's game) and 11-1 after 6.

League wide, throughout all of baseball's history, the team leading late tends to win an overwhelming amount of the time. That is one of the reasons why spending a tenth of the payroll on a guy that increases the odds of winning a game by maybe 4% isn't wise.

Do those 62 innings include playoffs?

If they don't he only pitched a handful in the playoffs. It was his healthiest year ever.

I was wrong it was 7.1 in the playoffs. And 62 in the regular season. So 69 last year.

Fair point. No, they do not. Miller threw 69.2 innings if you include the playoffs.

That said, it's not only the total innings, but how frequently you are pitching. The playoff games were very spread out last year. The season ended on Sept. 28, and Miller pitched on October 2, 5, 10, 11 and 15.

To be clear, I am not saying Miller can't handle a heavier workload, I'm merely saying we don't know if he can or not.

I still think if we had "bit the bullet" for this season we could've signed Cruz and Miller and not signed Wieters, Norris, Chen and likely Davis(next year). I know we've been through this before, but Cruz and Miller based on what they're doing so far this season would've made us the runaway favorite in the AL East.

It is not just a matter of not being able to sign Wieters, Norris, Chen and Davis next year. It's also about not being able to spend enough money to replace them adequately or address other needs of the team.

I view the two cases differently. With Cruz, it's all about his age and how good he will or won't be in a couple of years. Admittedly, absolutely nobody expected that he'd have 14 HR and 26 RBI in the first 26 games this year, but I certainly would have penciled him in for 30+ homers and an .830ish OPS this season. I absolutely would have been delighted to have him for $14.5 mm in 2015. It's down the road that he is very risky. Saying that, I hope he beats the odds and is still great when he's 37-38 years old. Dan Duquette played the odds, and he played them correctly in my opinion, even if Cruz defies the odds and pans out.

With Miller, he is not old, and so long as he's healthy, should be a topnotch reliever for his entire four years. It's just a matter of whether you want to commit that much money to a relief pitcher. I actually think he's a better bet than Cruz was, but it is tough to spend $9 mm of a $120 mm payroll on a reliever.

Having watched the first month of the season, I still think we are the most likely team to win the AL East, even if we are not the "runaway favorite."

I think we will miss both players big time. I agree with you it would put the payroll flexibility at a tremendous disadvantage, but the "future is now" IMO.The Orioles will be

rebuilding next year when they likely lose Davis, Wieters, Chen, Norris, Maybe Delmon and O'Day too.We might've won it this season, but now we have to make due with what we have.Not horrible, but no lock either.

We might still win it. We added some pretty important pieces before and after the deadline last season. I expect we will do so again this season. I think that's a much better idea than being hamstrung for four years in order to win once.

I think we will miss both players big time. I agree with you it would put the payroll flexibility at a tremendous disadvantage, but the "future is now" IMO.The Orioles will be

rebuilding next year when they likely lose Davis, Wieters, Chen, Norris, Maybe Delmon and O'Day too.We might've won it this season, but now we have to make due with what we have.Not horrible, but no lock either.

I don't really believe in a "future is now" approach. In my opinion, you have to balance the present and the future, unless you want the future to look like 1998-2011. I think Dan and Buck have done a great job of that.

I don't really believe in a "future is now" approach. In my opinion, you have to balance the present and the future, unless you want the future to look like 1998-2011. I think Dan and Buck have done a great job of that.

I would hope, that if things got bad, they would have enough sense to blow it up completely this time and not settle for half measures.

Archived