Thanks to John Angelos for speaking the truth!

mall-O-cup

I agree with what he says but if the riots run out the middle class of the city,black or white where does the tax revenue come from? Might not even have revenue for schools and rec centers. Companies are not going to set up shop in Baltimore. T Rowe Price had their employees leave early on Monday and the downtown office was closed on Tuesday. They were going to leave downtown a few years ago. Cable news sucks. Did anyone see Geraldo Rivera try to start a fight with a guy. Sad

.http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-07-24/business/bs-bz-price-safety-20130724_1_rowe-price-ceo-james-a-harbor-east

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2015/04/29/cnns-brooke-baldwin-shows-rest-of-media-how-to-apologize/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/is-cnn-as-bad-as-everyone-thinks-it-is-yes--and-no/2015/04/28/31ffac20-ede2-11e4-8666-a1d756d0218e_story.html

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate it when something relatively big comes up and I really want just the facts, because I go hunting around the part of the DirecTV spectrum that I never otherwise go to and realize that all of the "news" channels are actually just opinion channels. Nobody seems to be actively courting the part of the market that just wants to see what's going on, instead of an endless parade of professional experts telling us what we should think. I end up on BBC America as much as anything, just because most of the time they have no active stake in what's going on in the US and aren't really pushing anything.
The myth here is that there can be such a thing as "objective reporting" of the "facts". The reporter is limited by his agenda, knowing or unknowing, and his particular vantage point vis a vis the "fact". Think of the six blind men trying to describe an elephant. As to the "facts" themselves, I am reminded of Harold Pinter's remark, "Yes, I believe that there is a reality, but it is not concrete, it is more like quick sand."

Did anyone see Geraldo Rivera try to start a fight with a guy
No, what I saw was a guy who refused to get out of the way of Geraldo's camera shot. Geraldo moved and the guy jumped right back in the way again. Finally, the State Senator that he was trying to interview pulled him several more feet to the side.

The myth her is that there can be such a thing as "objective reporting" of the "facts". The reporter is limited by his agenda knowing or unknowing, and his particular vantage point vis a vis the "fact". The of the six blind men trying to describe an elephant. As to the "facts" themselves, I am reminded of Harold Pinter's remark, "Yes, I believe that there is a reality, but it is not concrete, it is more like quick sand."

Point taken. But I'd like a news outlet that at least has a goal of just reporting things as they see them. Not to counter-balance the perceived biases of the other news outlets, and have a running commentary telling us how to interpret events framed by their stated bias.

Guest rochester
No, what I saw was a guy who refused to get out of the way of Geraldo's camera shot. Geraldo moved and the guy jumped right back in the way again. Finally, the State Senator that he was trying to interview pulled him several more feet to the side.

I saw Geraldo in the Waldorf Hotel bar one night - he can't be more than 4' 9" and was surrounded by a couple of big dudes - that same night I saw Dick Clark sitting with his wife and another couple - just as relaxed and cool as can be - no pretense - the man jumped a notch in my cool people book that night.

Thanks everyone for all of the great comments. It is the first time I have ever posted here although I am a long time reader of Orioles Hangout and occasionally comment.

I was actually down in Baltimore with my wife this past weekend. Something we had planned some time ago. My wife actually attended an Orioles game with me this past Sunday. She is not a baseball fan but we had a great time and she wants to go again! We were right there on Saturday night when the protest was going on and she was a bit scared. What a weekend!

GO ORIOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Point taken. But I'd like a news outlet that at least has a goal of just reporting things as they see them. Not to counter-balance the perceived biases of the other news outlets, and have a running commentary telling us how to interpret events framed by their stated bias.
As I see it we have news like Fox with a spin to the right and MSNBC with a spin to the left and CNN, the Yahoo news with a spin to the hype.

CNN's coverage of this has been completely unwatchable. What bothers me the most is when television personalities sitting in a studio far away start lecturing people about how protesters should or should not behave. Just cover the events, please.

I agree with what he says but if the riots run out the middle class of the city,black or white where does the tax revenue come from? Might not even have revenue for schools and rec centers. Companies are not going to set up shop in Baltimore. T Rowe Price had their employees leave early on Monday and the downtown office was closed on Tuesday. They were going to leave downtown a few years ago. Cable news sucks. Did anyone see Geraldo Rivera try to start a fight with a guy. Sad

.http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-07-24/business/bs-bz-price-safety-20130724_1_rowe-price-ceo-james-a-harbor-east

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2015/04/29/cnns-brooke-baldwin-shows-rest-of-media-how-to-apologize/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/is-cnn-as-bad-as-everyone-thinks-it-is-yes--and-no/2015/04/28/31ffac20-ede2-11e4-8666-a1d756d0218e_story.html

Is there really a large middle class population in the city? I thought they all move to the burbs. Isn't the problem that the tax revenue from the city residents is insufficient to provide for the needs of it's largely poor and unemployed population?

CNN's coverage of this has been completely unwatchable. What bothers me the most is when television personalities sitting in a studio far away start lecturing people about how protesters should or should not behave. Just cover the events, please.

How about getting out in the streets and actually talking to the people involved in the protest.

How about getting out in the streets and actually talking to the people involved in the protest.

To be fair, they did have some of that, and some of those reporters on the street did a good job getting the different perspectives. I just can't stand listening to Wolf Blitzer or Erin Burnett or Jeffrey Toobin lecture people who aren't even listening about what they should or should not do. Honestly, Fox News is more watchable than CNN.

Every time there is a car accident, even after it's cleared off the road, there's still rubbernecking, bringing traffic to a crawl. People can't turn away, and these 24-7 news channels know that, so they focus on the "car wrecks" for the ratings. Please don't write me as I'm not saying the two situations are remotely comparable. All I'm saying is the news that gets the most ratings is always the tragedies - air crashes, natural disasters. When was the last time you saw the news have blanket coverage of a "feel good" story?

Archived