It's time for David Lough to step forward

wildcard

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure aside from the fact that in the last three seasons (2013-2015) he has been worth .8 rWAR in 111.2 innings. If you go 2012-2014 as your sample size then it's .7 rWAR in 200.2.

Huh it almost looks like your comparison is flawed.

Not really. Take a look at fWAR. rWAR leverages performance of relievers. He won't have that issue as a starter.

Not really. Take a look at fWAR. rWAR leverages performance of relievers. He won't have that issue as a starter.

1.0 and 1.9. So below average and still not a good comp for Lough. Especially since the 1.9 projects an unrealistic number of innings pitched.

1.0 and 1.9. So below average and still not a good comp for Lough.

Do you really think Matusz would have much of a chance as a plus WAR starter?

Not a good comp for Lough, of course. But it does point out the flawed logic of pro-rata WAR.

Look, if they want to give Lough more regular AB's and time while De Aza is sucking and making dumb plays, I'm perfectly fine with it. For some reason they don't. They would rather use him as a "relief pitcher" . I think they know what they're doing more than some of the WAR counters I'm seeing on here.

Do you really think Matusz would have much of a chance as a plus WAR starter?

Not a good comp for Lough, of course. But it does point out the flawed logic of pro-rata WAR.

Look, if they want to give Lough more AB's while De Aza is sucking and making dumb plays, I'm perfectly fine with it. For some reason they don't. I think they know what they're doing more than some of the "WAR counters" I'm seeing on here.

I hear ya buddy. Lough is supported by the WAR fans. No arguing with them. The guy pops the ball up about every time I see him play. Amazing. You have speed! Hit the ball on the ground! Willie Mays Hayes!

I hear ya buddy. Lough is supported by the WAR fans. No arguing with them. The guy pops the ball up about every time I see him play. Amazing. You have speed! Hit the ball on the ground! Willie Mays Hayes!

I'm a WAR fan.

WAR is a stat. That is like saying "I love caught stealings":)

Lough isn't playing because they can't trade him and he isn't that good.

No. It's not that type of stat. It is a compilation of statistical analysis that give you an inkling of the context of the player's total value. As compared to his peers. I'll explain it to you sometime when we go to a game together. It's something that allows you to still use you eye test as well.

I love home runs. Aren't home runs a stat? Not sure where you're going with that one.

Stop obsessing about WAR which is a measurement of past performance and trust the baseball people and watch the games. That is my point.

Stop obsessing about WAR which is a measurement of past performance and trust the baseball people and watch the games. That is my point.

Every stat measures past performance. Unless I'm unaware of a stat that accurately measures future performances. That would be pretty cool.

Every stat measures past performance. Unless I'm unaware of a stat that accurately measures future performances. That would be pretty cool.

Some stats don't measure anything really. They do predict things.

WAR is a stat. That is like saying "I love caught stealings":)

Lough isn't playing because they can't trade him and he isn't that good.

If you don't think organizations are heavily invested in statistical analysis in addition to scouting in this day and age, then I'm not sure what to tell you. They may not use WAR in our format but the most assuredly have some similar construct of it In addition to its components.

Some stats don't measure anything really. They do predict things.

Lough has some pretty good predictive/trending stats from the end of last year. He obviously got off to a terrible start with us. Was it the concussion he had late in ST in 2014? Maybe. Look at what he did afterwards, in terms of OPS

June .943

July 1.155

August .745

Sept/Oct 1.066

That's just his offensive numbers without and defense taken into account. That's what he did in his last 124 PA's. Overall last year he hit 266/333/416/.749 in 176 PA's vs RHP's. I'll take that with 1.0-2.0 dWAR.

Archived