It's time for David Lough to step forward

wildcard

I think Buck sees Lough as a pinch-runner and defensive replacement who can start every once in a while and give AJ a breather if he needs it. I think that's a legitimate role on this team. His spot is made a bit precarious because we don't seem to have an everyday corner outfielder. Getting a guy Buck can pencil into LF or RF every day seems to me to be the next logical move. Eliminate some of the De Aza/Pearce/Snider redundancy and Lough's role becomes clearer.

Don't forget Delmon. He is seeing playing time in Right since Paredes pushed him out of the DH spot.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget Delmon. He is seeing playing time in Right since Paredes pushed him out of the DH spot.

My sentiments exactly. DY is one of the fastest guys on the team and generally makes contact and works pitchers. 4 strikeouts in 50 AB vs. 21/64 for DeAza. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen him make any glaring gaffes in the OF this year. Lough on the other hand...well, let's just say that without his speed, he wouldn't need to own a glove.

I think its time for Lough to be given a shot at extended playing time. But, to say he needs to earn the lead off spot when given that time is a heavy load. Baby steps. Let's let him prove worthy of a starting spot first. The only way we are getting a leadoff hitter is to trade for one because other than maybe Parades, I don't see anyone on this roster that fulfills that role.

My sentiments exactly. DY is one of the fastest guys on the team and generally makes contact and works pitchers. 4 strikeouts in 50 AB vs. 21/64 for DeAza. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen him make any glaring gaffes in the OF this year. Lough on the other hand...well, let's just say that without his speed, he wouldn't need to own a glove.

:eektf:

Young career P/PA 3.45

Jones career P/PA 3.63

It is hard to strike out if you swing at everything and manage to put it into play.

Rene, you are right. There have been many 'give David Lough a chance' threads. But not by me. I am normally the guy writing that David is on the bubble. But with the leadoff and left field spots wide open it seems a match for Lough to get playing time.

Buck may see left field as a spot to rotate guys in and out. I don't know what Buck will do. But he has given others chances when there were openings. Maybe Loughs chance is coming.

He should hit the ball on the ground more. Learn to be a better base stealer and stop trying to hit for power and he might be valuable to us.

I didn't include Delmon because his skill set is somewhat different from the others, who tend to overlap.

So far Delmon has looked pretty good in right. He seems to be in better shape. I haven't seem him look as awkward as he looked last year.

The O's leadoff spot and left field are wide open. De Aza is hitting for a.265 OBP.

Buck said yesterday when asked about Manny batting leadoff "If not him, then who?" David needs to step forward and be the answer.

This is why Lough was acquired last year. He was supposed to replace Nate McLouth but Lough had a concussion early and couldn't take advantage of the opportunity.

Since coming back from a hamstring problem that cost him a trip to the DL Lough has put up a 308/357/538/896 in 13 at bats so far this season.

Its time to see what David can do. Let's see if Buck gives him the opportunity and if David is able to respond with positive results.

Buck's already evaluated Lough, and he's not an everyday player. He's the 25th man on the roster type.

Buck's already evaluated Lough, and he's not an everyday player. He's the 25th man on the roster type.

I thought Buck had Pearce pigeon holed on the bench last year when he gave his 7 at bats in April. It didn't turn out that way.

So far Delmon has looked pretty good in right. He seems to be in better shape. I haven't seem him look as awkward as he looked last year.

He was in great shape last year as well. It was the first time in a few years that his legs were healthy. He hasn't taken a real lousy route to a ball yet. That's when everyone will howl. He takes such short strides, he looks kind of funny when he runs. As long as he does the job out there, I'm fine with him.

He was in great shape last year as well. It was the first time in a few years that his legs were healthy. He hasn't taken a real lousy route to a ball yet. That's when everyone will howl. He takes such short strides, he looks kind of funny when he runs. As long as he does the job out there, I'm fine with him.

Why does everyone assume that Delmon over 500 at bats will be the same as Delmon over 250 at bats. There is a reason he has only had one good year playing full time in his entire career.

Archived