Delmon Young and his defense

Crazysilver03

Just like people get all worked up over someone's bad game on here... we all shouldn't get all mancrush on Delmon because he's had a good several games in the the field. He's Delmon Young. He has a very good arm (and bat of course) and little else. He suffices in right.
As top draft pick he was a 5 tool player. He isn't 30 yet, I wouldn't dismiss him yet. If he is focused he can play.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As top draft pick he was a 5 tool player. He isn't 30 yet, I wouldn't dismiss him yet. If he is focused he can play.

I don't dismiss him... I just remember some of the bad routes and bad plays he's made. I see a board mancrush developing and just wanted to head it off at the pass. Temper expectations.

I don't dismiss him... I just remember some of the bad routes and bad plays he's made. I see a board mancrush developing and just wanted to head it off at the pass. Temper expectations.
It's a matter of focus. He has had an history of off field issues. It's not like he is challenged athletically. When he bears down he can play. Why do you think Buck stays with him? He's not an idiot.

It's a matter of focus. He has had an history of off field issues. It's not like he is challenged athletically. When he bears down he can play. Why do you think Buck stays with him? He's not an idiot.

He's on a defensive roll. And no doubt his bat plays. That's why Buck is playing him every night. Not to mention we have RF to cover with Nick gone, and it's Delmon's much more natural position.

Don't get me wrong! I'm not complaining about his play so far. He's been great! Beyong fricking great! Just don't expect him to be this superstar all year.

He's on a defensive roll. And no doubt his bat plays. That's why Buck is playing him every night. Not to mention we have RF to cover with Nick gone, and it's Delmon's much more natural position.

Don't get me wrong! I'm not complaining about his play so far. He's been great! Beyong fricking great! Just don't expect him to be this superstar all year.

He has the ability to be. If he has the want to, he can be.

He has the ability to be. If he has the want to, he can be.

I hope you're right! :) I know he had a pedigree. I'm no OFer myself so I'm not the best judge. But I saw some of his misplays and bad routes last year.

I love his bat in the lineup regardless.

I think that catch tonight was more lucky than good. But whatever. i'm glad he made it. It was a decisive play in the game. I agree the he has looked a lot better in RF this year than he did LF last year.

He got a good initial read and jump on the ball and then didn't slow down as he smoothly adjusted his route.

He got a good initial read and jump on the ball and then didn't slow down as he smoothly adjusted his route.

He took a bad route on that play. His first step was forward and lateral and he corrected himself. He was just able to catch up to the ball and get his glove on it. This would have been routine for most RF'ers.

He took a bad route on that play. His first step was forward and lateral and he corrected himself. He was just able to catch up to the ball and get his glove on it. This would have been routine for most RF'ers.

You mean like De Aza and Snider, who have both come in on balls without catching up to them, costing the O's runs this year?

Buck said Delmon's catch was the "play of the game, without a doubt" and I don't think he is just trying to make Del feel good.

Here is the video. As soon as the camera cuts to him at 0:06, he is already headed back. I don't know where you are getting "bad route". If he took a step forward you would see him reversing himself and it would have been a triple.

You mean like De Aza and Snider, who have both come in on balls without catching up to them, costing the O's runs this year?

Buck said Delmon's catch was the "play of the game, without a doubt" and I don't think he is just trying to make Del feel good.

Here is the video. As soon as the camera cuts to him at 0:06, he is already headed back. I don't know where you are getting "bad route". If he took a step forward you would see him reversing himself and it would have been a triple.

Sorry here it is:

http://m.mlb.com/video/v111145983/torbal-young-robs-goins-with-running-catch/?query=delmon+young+catch

I hope you're right! :) I know he had a pedigree. I'm no OFer myself so I'm not the best judge. But I saw some of his misplays and bad routes last year.

I love his bat in the lineup regardless.

How does one come to LOVE a below average bat in the cleanup spot? The guy has a wRC+ of 94. It's also under 100 for his career. He isn't and has never has been a "great bat".

I know I know, batting average.

I was at the game sitting down the 1B line. He took a quick step in. Pause. Than ran lateral. What you see in the video is him already moving lateral.

Maybe he had a little struggle reading it off the bat. It just did not look smooth. I guess he just always looks uncomfortable playing defense.

How does one come to LOVE a below average bat in the cleanup spot? The guy has a wRC+ of 94. It's also under 100 for his career. He isn't and has never has been a "great bat".

I know I know, batting average.

Maybe Buck likes his bat behind Adam and in front of Crush?

Maybe Buck likes his bat behind Adam and in front of Crush?

Yes, Buck has a strange unexplainable fetish for Delmon Young, it is known.

The defense isn't going to hold up and he has a .693 OPS. That's middle of the order-worthy for sure.

Not to mention that .365 BABIP isn't going to hold up looking at his batted ball data.

Delmon Young is the same as ever, not good enough to be a productive everyday corner outfielder.

Yes, Buck has a strange unexplainable fetish for Delmon Young, it is known.

The defense isn't going to hold up and he has a .693 OPS. That's middle of the order-worthy for sure.

Not to mention that .365 BABIP isn't going to hold up looking at his batted ball data.

Delmon Young is the same as ever, not good enough to be a productive everyday corner outfielder.

Was Markakis productive as an everyday COF? Under your criteria?

So you give no credit to Delmon being in the lineup that helps AJ or Crush?

Archived