The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't expect the Orioles to spend money. I wish the team was more aggressive on the trade/international front, and I don't think the organization as a whole is operating at the level it needs to in order to compete long term. But some of that comes back to ownership-level issues.

I totally get frustration over Baltimore's lack of interesting moves; also understand Duquette is somewhat limited in what he can do. What blows it up for me, though, is seeing him get approval to spend and seeing Baltimore sign Jimenez to a four year deal.

One way or another the O's are pretty aggressive on international players. Just look at the 40 man roster and see where player were born. Schoop, Chen, Navarro, De Aza, Gonzalez (born in Mexico and was playing there when signed), Jimenez, Rondon, Cabrera and Urrutia. That is 22% of the 40 man roster.

The Jimenez thing might work out. At least there is hope.

One way or another the O's are pretty aggressive on international players. Just look at the 40 man roster and see where player were born. Schoop, Chen, Navarro, De Aza, Gonzalez (born in Mexico and was playing there when signed), Jimenez, Rondon, Cabrera and Urrutia. That is 22% of the 40 man roster.

I think he is specifically speaking of supposed "16 year olds" on July 2 and Cuban defectors. In neither of these cases do the Orioles spend much.

I think he is specifically speaking of supposed "16 year olds" on July 2 and Cuban defectors. In neither of these cases do the Orioles spend much.

Its the same theme. The O's don't spend much unless we talk about arbitration players and proven players that are on their own team that are must haves.

On what planet is international activity tied to country of origin and not locale at the time of acquisition? Seriously? the claim wasn't that Bill Cutting was pushing a nationalist agenda in the O's front office...

Yeah; sorry. I was referring to international acquisitions in the same manner as the baseball industry, media, and fan bases. And I forgot insinuating that as a worthwhile approach to talent acquisition is deemed laughable by a vocal few.

On what planet is international activity tied to country of origin and not locale at the time of acquisition? Seriously? the claim wasn't that Bill Cutting was pushing a nationalist agenda in the O's front office...

DD has not problem with signing international players. He does have a problem with spending a lot of money on players early in their careers. He signs international players that are already in the US because he has more information on them, they are more developed, they are cheap and his risk is lower.

DD has not problem with signing international players. He does have a probably with spending a lot of money on players early in their careers. He signs international players that are already in the US because he has more information on them, they are more developed, they are cheap and his risk is lower.

Is that what you believe? If so I strongly disagree.

Hah yeah that response really made me laugh.

DD has not problem with signing international players. He does have a probably with spending a lot of money on players early in their careers. He signs international players that are already in the US because he has more information on them, they are more developed, they are cheap and his risk is lower.

If they are already in the US, than they aren't international players in the sense Stotle is suggesting.

And this doesn't jive with your last post. Where HenryU, Gonzo, or Chen scouted in the US?

Yea, he got a lot from Seattle, but he sure would look good in Baltimore right now. Cant help but think we would be looking at a better record with Nellie in our lineup.

Its early and we have a long way to go, but so far its looking like we are missing Nellie and Nick more than I thought we would.

Other than AJ, we arent looking so hot in the OF.

Don't feel like reading through the whole thread but I'm curious. Was this meant to be a reverse-jinx, "we are definitely getting swept by Team X thread", or was it meant to be serious?

Don't feel like reading through the whole thread but I'm curious. Was this meant to be a reverse-jinx, "we are definitely getting swept by Team X thread", or was it meant to be serious?

It was just meant to merge the numerous venting threads that were popping up after every loss.

Archived