The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

Contrary to popular belief, I don't.

But spending on the right talent at the right time is a good thing.

MSK

Very fair position. You just think a lot more talents are improvements than other people. And unfortunately for you, a lot of these big name acquisitions go on to crash.

And as I said before, Cruz and Miller aren't proven. People are leery that they turn career years into career norms.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I maintain that Josh Hamilton would have been a killer for the Orioles. He hit tons of HRs in OPACY.

You stilly statheads and your misapplication of split data. If you'd actually watch the games you'd know Hamilton isn't committed to winning, he's just in it for the fame and rock and roll lifestyle.

I'm gonna call :bs: on this. Had the Orioles traded Davis you would be beating your broken demolished drum about how the Orioles let another All Star walk because we are cheap and the FO has their head up their rear. The fact that you cannot see this, quite honestly scares me.

He would have had a fit if we traded Davis after 2013, an absolute fit. That we missed out on traidng Matusz at "high value" is almost as funny. This is why he generally doesn't say stuff with any specificity. It's almost always crap on the wall.

Apparently you don't remember all the arguments against signing Mark Tex, or Josh Hamilton, or J. Werth, or M. Scherzer, or A. LaRouche or any proven talent who could improve the team.

I guess I made all that up.

MSK

I guess Scherzer would have helped the team. If you expected the Angelos family to give him that deal you need to pick a new team.

That's not what I said at all man.

I don't have a problem with sabermetrics or fans of statistical tracking of baseball performance. What I have a problem with are folks that use sabermetric thinking to argue against improving the team with proven talent.

There's ALWAYS this bizarre fascination with what the team will be like in 4-5 years rather than what we could do to win in the next 2-3 seasons. This line of thinking hasn't helped to sign international talent or significantly improved our farm system, yet, with the right set of VORPs, UZRs, WARs and OPS analyses, folks keep making the claims that the FO is working magic by not doing anything of significance during the offseason.

We should have traded Matusz when his value was high. We didn't.

Same with Davis.

At the right moment, those guys could have netted us some value. We waited and got nothing except reclamation projects.

Now, the numbers will somehow prove that Snider, De Aza and Lough are improvements, but I just don't see it on the field.

MSK

Are you aware of how ludicrous this statement is? How are you to know what is proven talent, or whether or not that level of talent is going to improve your team without taking measurements to determine it's relative level? In reality signing a Mark Teixiera would not have made this club appreciatively better thus far. And has he really proven to be the talent he was thought to be?

He would have had a fit if we traded Davis after 2013, an absolute fit. That we missed out on traidng Matusz at "high value" is almost as funny. This is why he generally doesn't say stuff with any specificity. It's almost always crap on the wall.

There is no way that Dan Duquette could have traded that 53 home run bat after the 14 years of losing and two of winning. Having a lot to do with that bat at that time.

There is no way that Dan Duquette could have traded that 53 home run bat after the 14 years of losing and two of winning. Having a lot to do with that bat at that time.

If anything this is something some of the more analytical/saberemetric/value guys (you know the ones MSK derides) on here might have suggested. It's seriously laughable that MSK now suggests that this is something that DD should have done.

I certainly would have considered it strongly, the value was pretty obviously never going to get higher and even if he bucked all reason and maintained that level of performance there was no way he was staying here past this season, and still probably isn't.

Of course I also was posting about trading Jim Johnson after 2012 too, knowing full well they weren't even going to think about it.

By "contingent" you mean the majority of Orioles fans.

No one wants rampant, unintelligent spending.

But spending to definitively improve is smart and good for business.

I don't see how this keeps getting missed.

MSK

You keep throwing around words like "definitely improve" and "will win the World Series" connected to spending on free agents. But it's been shown time and time again that most free agent deals are failures, as would be expected when you spend large amounts of money on post-peak players who are almost guaranteed to decline at an accelerating pace. There are no guarantees.

You keep throwing around words like "definitely improve" and "will win the World Series" connected to spending on free agents. But it's been shown time and time again that most free agent deals are failures, as would be expected when you spend large amounts of money on post-peak players who are almost guaranteed to decline at an accelerating pace. There are no guarantees.

Almost all large Free Agent deals hurt the teams acquiring them. Bidding is painful.

If Davis was on another team, he would be the guy that MSK would want to sell the farm for and bring in at any cost. Trade Davis, then bring in Hamilton and Tex? The logic boggles the mind. Are we supposed to be buyers or sellers?

This is why he tries to avoid specifics. When he uses specifics, what he posts is nonsensical. That's fine. Nobody needs to be a world-class team architect to be a fan and offer opinions, but you'd think that someone who didn't have a lot of ability in that arena wouldn't spend all day insulting the guys that do it for a living and try to learn something from people who are a bit more capable in the arena. I've learned a ton from the people here because I read and try to learn in areas that I'm weak.

I just wish folks would stop trying to categorize other fans and pretend that most folks don't appreciate what this team has done for the last four years.

Archived