The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

"I would love to come into a clubhouse and want to have dinner with everyone on the team. But you can't do that because there are too many guys. You can't attract all the same personalities. There are just too many people for everyone to be great friends. And guys realize that."

"I've been on teams where there was one guy ... who made everyone miserable. But you're not thinking about that when you're on the field. Not at all. It's a nonissue. I don't really see how it affects the team's play. Will you throw 95 instead of 90 because you're happier in the clubhouse? Will you throw strikes?"

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“I’ve never been one to make a big deal about chemistry. I think that comes with winning. I’ve played on some teams that had terrible chemistry but won because we had great players. [one club] I wouldn’t call that a close-knit ball club by any means, but we won."

“I remember ... teams that we played against in the late ’70s that would fight daily. So, that chemistry thing is kind of sometimes overblown, and I think it comes with winning. As time goes on, you build it. It’s always good at the beginning of the season and especially good when you’re winning at the beginning of the season, but the real test to it is when things go poorly. At some point, every team is going to go through a poor stretch, and then you see what you have. I have always been on the side of, give me good players, let them go out there and play their game, and that creates good team chemistry.”

"When they win games they’ll have a great clubhouse like all the rest of us. If they don’t win, their clubhouse won’t be very good. If they do win, their clubhouse will be one of the best you ever saw."

"I'll tell you what ... chemistry is: Chemistry is a .300 batting average, 30 home runs, and 30 stolen bases."

“The focus and intensity of this camp has really been productive and crisp. There’s a more veteran approach. I love the vibe we have right now. I haven’t seen one guy waste time during the drills thus far. It’s a loose, but no-nonsense approach.”

I think its funny the same people in this thread and others defending Manny are the very same people who bash Ortiz like crazy. Whenever Ortiz argues a call I read all the posts on here "we would never defend that if he was an O" "Buck would never play him if he was an O he just doesn't accept it". Umm getting harder and harder to say with how Manny acts isn't it? Oh wait 75% of people in the game thread thought Manny was in the right to throw the bat like he did. What a joke.

?The focus and intensity of this camp has really been productive and crisp. There?s a more veteran approach. I love the vibe we have right now. I haven?t seen one guy waste time during the drills thus far. It?s a loose, but no-nonsense approach.?[/QUOTE]

Which is what we have grown accustom to, from a Buck managed team.

I think its funny the same people in this thread and others defending Manny are the very same people who bash Ortiz like crazy. Whenever Ortiz argues a call I read all the posts on here "we would never defend that if he was an O" "Buck would never play him if he was an O he just doesn't accept it". Umm getting harder and harder to say with how Manny acts isn't it? Oh wait 75% of people in the game thread thought Manny was in the right to throw the bat like he did. What a joke.

Sorry but to label Manny in the same category with the Big Baby is wrong and it's apparent that you don't follow the game too much.

Winning breeds chemistry, not the other way around. They have to win.
I suspect it has more to do with poor performance from COF, Tillman and Norris, than chemistry.

I fall into this category. I don't believe for a second there is some terrible chemistry problem. If Tillman and Norris were pitching even close to their capabilities this year the Orioles would either be in first place right now or close to it. The Orioles have been pretty inconsistent this year and are only two games back. Imagine where they would be if Tillman and Norris weren't 3-11 with a 7.28 ERA in 16 starts this season? Let that sink in a bit. Offense traditionally ebbs and flows throughout a season and May was a terrible month overall for the Orioles offensively, but when your opening day starter allows 89 base runners in 53 innings and can't protect a lead to save his life you can't imagine your "chemistry" is going to be great.

The Yankees (both FO and players) openly were critical of ARod and did everything they could to keep him off the field. They are leading the AL East. So either their clubhouse chemistry sucks and they are still leading the division, OR the chemistry has improved because ARod is playing well and leading them to wins. Either way, the Yankees are evidence that a poor clubhouse morale does not necessarily correlate to play on the field.

Any weight to the fact that he's back to making similar throwing errors to those he made in Double-A -- essentially dropping his arm getting a little sloppy in his footwork? It's only two months into the season, but as an amateur and in the minors he did have a propensity to get a little lazy with his execution. I do think he has to grow-up. I do not think this is anything unexpected for a player of his talent and experience. There is a solid vet presence that should continue to help mold him.

Sorry but to label Manny in the same category with the Big Baby is wrong and it's apparent that you don't follow the game too much.

Well you'd be wrong if you said that as I've been around the game my whole life. I umpire high school/college ball and watch MLB whenever I can. My wifes family lives in Boston so I've seen Big Pappi play in person a ton. I have weekend season tickets to the O's so I've seen them in person a lot. Big Pappi didn't start out doing what he does now. It builds and Manny is certianly well on that path. Hell, he threw a bat at a player last year and threw it down in disgust 5 days ago. Not sure how anyone can defend that.

Winning breeds chemistry, not the other way around. They have to win.
I suspect it has more to do with poor performance from COF, Tillman and Norris, than chemistry.
Good chemistry comes from a solid work environment and collection of personality/profile types that don't clash.

And winning! You can love every guy on the team, but if you lose 100 games that lockeroom is not going to be fun.

Archived