My May 27 Prediction: O's Will Win AL East

Spy Fox

Win the East? Those same Orioles that are 3 games beneath .500 and have yet to have a hot streak? Yes!

I'm making this thread for two reasons.

1. I truly think, in the end, we are the best all-around team in this division. Bullpen isn't bulletproof but it is solid once again. Starting pitching had a rough start but has been coming around lately. Lineup is slumping, but can only expect to improve with a multitude of underperforming sluggers and only a couple (Paredes, Joseph) that look likely bets to regress in the negative direction. In fact, despite our poor performance so far, I think I am actually MORE confident in this being a playoff team than I was in March. To be only 2.5 games back of 1st place with a whole lot having gone wrong? We've got them right where we want them!

2. Last year at about this time, when the Orioles were similarly treading water, I remember thinking about making a similar thread.. but then for some reason I didn't. Since I didn't let my opinions be known on the everlasting internet, do I have any proof of this shoulda been prophecy? Absolutely not! And I'm not about to see my infallible prophetic genius go unnoticed for the second year in a row when these birds start bringing the Orioles Magic back to the Yard!

Some may say this is absurd. Mediocre pitching, disappointing hitting, this team is doomed! Some may say it's not such a bold prediction at all.. after all, we're only 2.5 games behind where we were two months ago when a ton of us were predicting more playoff baseball in Balimore. What say you?

o

In April of 2012, somebody started a similar thread (predicting that the Orioles would win the A.L. East.)

The Yankees nipped us by 2 games for the title, and we had to settle for a wildcard spot at 93-69.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/119664-My-Bold-Prediction

If that were to happen to the Orioles again, I just hope that it isn't the Yankees that is the team that nips us by 2 games for the division title.

I honestly can't tell how this season is going to go. We've looked very uninspired, and truth be told, last year's team looked much better even at this time of year. While it's true that we were a .500 team as late as May 31 last season, that actually was a low point and the team had been over .500 for almost all of May. Last year's team was only 3+ games under .500 two days all season, very early in April (2-5 was the last time) whereas this year's team has spent 10 days that low already. The team has only had one winning streak that reached three games (the two games before the riots, and then the "no fans" game three days later).

I'm pretty confident that this team won't win 96 games, and in fact, I seriously doubt they win 93 games (as they did in 2012). But, they could still awaken and be a 90+ win team. The best thing they have going for them is that our division stinks.

I honestly can't tell how this season is going to go. We've looked very uninspired, and truth be told, last year's team looked much better even at this time of year. While it's true that we were a .500 team as late as May 31 last season, that actually was a low point and the team had been over .500 for almost all of May. Last year's team was only 3+ games under .500 two days all season, very early in April (2-5 was the last time) whereas this year's team has spent 10 days that low already. The team has only had one winning streak that reached three games (the two games before the riots, and then the "no fans" game three days later).

I'm pretty confident that this team won't win 96 games, and in fact, I seriously doubt they win 93 games (as they did in 2012).But, they could still awaken and be a 90+ win team. The best thing they have going for them is that our division stinks.

Same here, Frank.

While I understand that last year's team started out at 35-34 for the first 69 games before stomping their way to the division title over the final 60% of the season, you can only go to the proverbial well so many times with mediocre starts to baseball seasons.

After hitting the skids by losing 10 out of 11 games, the Yankees just swept the Royals by scores of 14-1, 5-1, and 4-2, respectively.

The Yankees winning bothers me almost as much as the Orioles losing does.

I always profess that as a fan, in order to try not to go crazy over the course of the 162-game marathon season, I need to take one game at a time. But still, I'm anxious. I can't help it ...... I'm an O's fan. :noidea:

Archived