Do teams get a chance to collude in setting starting pitchers in a double header?

Rojo13

I am wondering if anyone knows how the pitchers for a double header are set.

Do teams have to announce to MLB who they are starting without knowing who the other team is starting? Or do they get a chance to talk to the other team?

Like today, it seems ideal for the teams to get a split. If the Os put Wright against Sale, that is a tough task. But we start a guy making his starting debut against their ace and then they start a guy making his debut against the guy who has been pitching best for us (Wright). It seems the best way to insure that each team has a legit shot to win a game.

Was that just a coincidence?

Does anyone know the timing on how the starters for a particular game of a DL are announced?

On a similar topic, I'm kind of surprised analytics hasn't gotten to the point where teams are constantly moving around the order of their starters to give them their best odds are for a win. Like maybe start your worse guy against a Kershaw type just assuming you'll lose anyway.

I am wondering if anyone knows how the pitchers for a double header are set.

Do teams have to announce to MLB who they are starting without knowing who the other team is starting? Or do they get a chance to talk to the other team?

Like today, it seems ideal for the teams to get a split. If the Os put Wright against Sale, that is a tough task. But we start a guy making his starting debut against their ace and then they start a guy making his debut against the guy who has been pitching best for us (Wright). It seems the best way to insure that each team has a legit shot to win a game..

Why would either team agree to this? Why wouldn't each team aim to win both games? This isn't Little League. Teams aren't saying, "OK, let's both agree to win one game each so that everyone has a good time, and then go out for ice cream afterward."

The answer to your question is no. Teams do not consult with other teams when setting their pitching matchups.

On a similar topic, I'm kind of surprised analytics hasn't gotten to the point where teams are constantly moving around the order of their starters to give them their best odds are for a win. Like maybe start your worse guy against a Kershaw type just assuming you'll lose anyway.

It's not that easy to just shift your rotations around willy-nilly. Pitchers are on a structured routine, accustomed to a certain amount of rest between starts, specific work days, etc. You can occasionally push a guy up or back a day depending on rainouts, off days, etc., but no team is going to constantly overhaul its rotation just based on which pitcher is starting for the other team. That'd be a disaster.

Archived